What's new

What did I just find?

Legion

Staff member
Found this in a second hand store today. Smallish, and scuffed up, But I could lap it if it is worth it. It wasn't very expensive.

The label says JGES. Trade -Mark- Ash.Genuine water hone.

Interestingly Ash in German is Esche. Not quite Escher, but kind of close...

Anyway, any info on what kind of stone this might be? Feels like some sort of slate.

DSC00505.JPG

DSC00507.JPG

JGES = Johan Gottfried Escher Sonneberg, the other 1/2 of the company was J.G. Escher & Son.
Some or possibly most JGES stones are synthetic/reconstituted. I do not know if this one is natural or man-made.
Peter will know. @hatzicho

Legion

Staff member
JGES = Johan Gottfried Escher Sonneberg, the other 1/2 of the company was J.G. Escher & Son.
Some or possibly most JGES stones are synthetic/reconstituted. I do not know if this one is natural or man-made.
Peter will know. @hatzicho
It's hard to tell. I can't see obvious saw marks.

On the other side the corner is missing and the surface looks quite rough, more like it was mined than pressed out like a barber hone.

DSC00508.JPG

It's hard to tell. I can't see obvious saw marks.

On the other side the corner is missing and the surface looks quite rough, more like it was mined than pressed out like a barber hone.

Without making a new break, acid testing, etc, I would not venture to say one way or another. That corner does not show slaty cleavage, but it's an old break and the surface is worn. It could very well be a natural stone. But I have seen synthetics (and naturals) with fractured corners that look, at least, similar to that. I had a JGES recon Coticule with a corner that looked similar but not exactly like that.
I would venture to guess that the scoring in the surface at that one end was from sharpening fishhooks, arrowheads, or even small tools.

Legion

Staff member
Without making a new break, acid testing, etc, I would not venture to say one way or another. That corner does not show slaty cleavage, but it's an old break and the surface is worn. It could very well be a natural stone. But I have seen synthetics (and naturals) with fractured corners that look, at least, similar to that. I had a JGES recon Coticule with a corner that looked similar but not exactly like that.
I would venture to guess that the scoring in the surface at that one end was from sharpening fishhooks, arrowheads, or even small tools.
Yeah, for sure. I’ve seen that done by darts, quite often. Annoying. If they went along the stone you could still sharpen a pocket knife on it.

Legion

Staff member
Update:

I got to lapping, and it looks to be a Thuringian, so that was a good score. It's actually the first decent stone I have ever found in the wild.

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00516.JPG

Legion

Staff member
Dark blue or black mottled Escher from later in the companies history, I'm thinking.

Legion

Staff member
I already have one of these in a barber hone size I got from Peter, but that one is a lot more “mottled” in appearance. It will be interesting to see if there is much difference in performance.

Top Bottom