What's new

What did I find?

So I think I found something good but I know very little about the Aristocrat’s. I picked this up today at a estate sale, it was pretty dirty and they sold it to me at a cheap price so I took a gamble. It seems to be a 1948 or 49 since it doesn’t have a date code and has “Pat. Nos. On Package” on the blade plate. I cleaned it up a bit just to see what I was working with and it seems mechanically sound except the door on one side doesn’t close flush with the center bar. Needs a good tune up and was considering sending it off to Razor Emporium for their tune up service. Based on what you see is it worth sending it in for the tune up?
E6277163-03B1-470F-98AD-D0E30C5DADD2.jpeg
13049ADC-37A2-4F1D-91DE-C992DA0D5552.jpeg
0F11FB47-F83C-4841-B030-5D214DE36808.jpeg
6F4FC537-40D1-41F1-A432-DCC928DFA2CB.jpeg

It was likely dropped at some point in its life for the door on one side to end up like that. Looks like a fine candidate for a tune up or a tune + replate in my opinion.

Indeed (but not with Razor Emporium :eek6:)!

See Back Roads Gold's (not Black Country Gold) price list HERE. (Just a tune-up clean and polish [no plating] costs $30.)

I appreciate the recommendation and I am leaning towards using Back Roads Gold. Based on the condition, it definitely needs the tune up since I would like to use this in my rotation. Is this worth going the full plating route? I respect anyone's opinion either way.

Nice find.

Here is an appreciation thread with pictures and discussion of the work done by Chris at Backroads Gold. Obviously it is up to you, but if it were one of my Aristocrats, I would definitely send it to Chris.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've had three razors replated by Chris @ Back Roads Gold. That is a modest amount compared to many of his other customers. Doing business with him is a pleasure. He puts your razor(s) on a spread sheet so you can see when they arrived and follow them through his processes. He gets his work back to you very quickly. The results? Stellar. and I do mean Stellar.

Top Bottom