What's new

What Did I Find? Frictionite 00 Deluxe

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Just recently acquired this hone set. A Frictionite 00 Deluxe with abrasive rub stone. It is boxed from the Claude F Reynolds Oboe Shoppe. It contains the hone, rub stone and all paperwork. The hone Measures approximately 4 5/8" x 2 3/8" x 3/4" thick and it two sided.
It seams unused or very low mileage.

Is this the famous Frictionite 00 stone or a later reincarnation? Would like any options.

IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG

I dunno but my general opinion of barber hones is stay away from them.

Their allure is from a time when a quality edge took time and these barber hones produced a quick seemingly keen edge. But the edges were not smooth. My presumption is that most barbers that employed them stropped the living daylights out of the ensuing edge to smooth it. They knew the edge was sub-par through experience.

I've had many a barber hone and they cannot equal what a quality natural hone can do nor even come close to what a modern quality synthetic hone cane do.

IMHO, they are nice nostalgia items. Good luck with it.

Chris

It's hard to say what many were like when shiny and new. These were early binders and who knows how they were stored over time. Well preserved examples of good quality stones like a frictionite can wake up an edge well enough provided it was a properly done edge prior and was just dropping off.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I dunno but my general opinion of barber hones is stay away from them.

Their allure is from a time when a quality edge took time and these barber hones produced a quick seemingly keen edge. But the edges were not smooth. My presumption is that most barbers that employed them stropped the living daylights out of the ensuing edge to smooth it. They knew the edge was sub-par through experience.

I've had many a barber hone and they cannot equal what a quality natural hone can do nor even come close to what a modern quality synthetic hone cane do.

IMHO, they are nice nostalgia items. Good luck with it.

Chris

I got it and two others to add to my B-Hone collection. I might try it in time but it is mostly for nostalgia. I get to much enjoyment use my cotis, thuris, arks. These two came to me at the same time.

IMG_0693.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
looks like the real deal to me.
It's hard to say what many were like when shiny and new. These were early binders and who knows how they were stored over time. Well preserved examples of good quality stones like a frictionite can wake up an edge well enough provided it was a properly done edge prior and was just dropping off.

Thank you gentlemen

Looks like maybe a different binder (but probably the same abrasive mix, hence why they still called it 00 frictionite, but added "deluxe"), but maybe that's just what they look like before time gets a hold of them.

The frictionite 00 is not the best barber hone I've used, but it's way up there (WAY above avg), and you could shave off it pretty happily. Does it justify the premium over a coti or other natural stone that offers just as good (or better) a shave, for a collector or speed junky (it is fast), maybe?

I'd say use it, if you think it's worth $150-250, keep it. Otherwise sell it. One in that shape, with the 00 stamp, with box, instructions and rubbing stone will sell for a lot, so if it's not worth that much to you, go ahead and sell it. I've owned maybe 6-10 00's or identical stones under other brandings (same mix and binder according to all evidence, same appearance and size, same manufacturer, different name stamped on it). I've sold every one that had a 00 on it, that Name is worth more than the stone is worth. Now if it WEREN'T labeled/stamped... it'd be easier to want to keep. A Stone that LOOKS like a frictionite 00, but may not be one is difficult to get frictionite 00 money for. I've sold Frictionite 00's minus a definite ID for $50-100... a much more fair price for the stone's performance.

Looks like a single sided 00 - even though there is a lable saying to use one side first, I don't see the split in the stone that is typical. I wonder if this is just the fine side and it was left rough one one side to start the edge off.
I really like the 00, it's probably my favorite b-hone, and there have been many of them here. Given their aggressive nature, I think it's nearly impossible to say which b-hone is 'best' in a clinical sense. I think it's more of a symbiotic type of thing; some will adore Lakesides, some will not but htey will love Rubys when other users don't - and so on.

No this is a different hone than the regular Frictionite 00. They offered this hone (it's name is Deluxe) alongside that one - I've seen a sales brochure advertising it. This one uses the same type and grade of abrasive as the ubiquitous "Frictionite 00" hone, but may use a different binder or concentration.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It’s thicker than a standard 00 as well isn’t it? I’ve owned several 00’s and have one now that’s NOS and it’s nowhere near 3/4” thick.

Its a mislabeled stone.
Its a Deluxe 500 hone made by AHC. Its made with the same material as the 00 but it is only 1 sided or the same both sides.
The Deluxe is exactly the same abrasive and binder as the fine side of the Frictionite and will behave the exact same.
They are very good hones.
I have seen a few mislabeled over the years including 1 that was a different hone all together but labeled as a frictionite.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it is the same binder and concentration as the usual Frictionite 00. I've bought and sold a few and they have a pretty characteristic look that the Deluxe doesn't seem to share. Namely that sort of pearly ripple look. I just picked up another Frictionite 00 today for $40 off the 'bay - here's a good sunlight photo of what I'm describing. This one has a couple of the craze lines but they can't be felt and can only be seen visually if the hone is oiled and wiped.

Interestingly, this one came in a Dubl Duck box. Box text reads "Dubl Duck World's Best Dry Razor Hone." Anyone know if Dubl Duck was actually selling Frictionites? I was wondering if it was that or if someone just happened to stick this in a Dubl Duck box. This example is one of the earlier Olean, NY variety.

20181210_140728.jpg

20181210_140754.jpg

The patterns in the Frictionite vary greatly.
Randy has all the hone recipes from AHC and he had chimed in on another forum about the 500.
I'm pretty sure the only difference was the coloring.
AFAIK AHC supplied many mfg's but never seen any similarities in the DD's.

I have a fantastic little coti that was found in a Carborundum hone box. Fit perfectly:)

Ahh, then I would say they must be the same. As I recall he purchased those from AHC or the company that succeeded them didn't he?

Regarding the coticule - I have seen documentation stating that Carborundum actually did sell coticules for a while, so that box might be legit.

Yes, Randy purchased these when they closed.
The coti was in a Carborundom box clearly marked 118s. Its a 4x2. I know that they sold coti's but have never seen a Carborundum box specifically for a coti but doubt they would use a regular hone box.
Thought I had a picture of it but you can see it here behind the Conk aftershave bottle with the coti out in front.

proxy.php

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks everyone for the bump and addition info. I forget all about this hone

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Regarding the coticule - I have seen documentation stating that Carborundum actually did sell coticules for a while, so that box might be legit.
I have a coti/carbo combo with original label and box. Only one I've ever seen. They pair quite well together actually.

Top Bottom