What's new

What Did I Buy?

What year is this razor? The listing said 1908, but I think it would have a serial number if it was. It almost looks like the comb and top plate may have possibly been replated at some point??

I didn't pay a lot for it, so it will not be a loss for me. I jumped on it because I did not see any cracks in the handle, but alas there are some tight hairline cracks.

Obviously I am new to this, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Looks like a Gillette old type 3 pc , good razor and are a upper mid range in aggression and efficiency.

Looks like a Gillette old type 3 pc , good razor and are a upper mid range in aggression and efficiency.
Thanks for that. I plan to try it out after I clean/sanitize it.

I forgot to ask, what year or date range would this be?

I agree it's an old type. I have one and I like it. It's the oldest razor in my collection. It's more aggressive than most vintage razors IMO. But not dangerously so.

R

romsitsa

Anytime. Missed your question on a possible replate. Some ball ends came with a silver handle and nickle plated head neck, so it's original, imho. I suspect these are later versions, but can't put a date on them.

Adam

Hi,

The earlier ones were thin cap and baseplate. The later ones thick. The really later ones could be a mix up of parts from both eras as they used what had been laying about the plant at the same time they were onto the New Improved.

So you don't have to look at Time and Users for why nickle and silver plate bits might be mixed. It could well have happened in the plant.

Stan

Top Bottom