What's new

What DE Blades Have the Best Edge Retention?

The closest scientific answer to this I have found is on this thread. It covers all major blades on the market for sharpness and edge retention.

One thing about this though they test for 2 shaves... Most people say feathers don't last beyond 2-3 shaves and a lot of people use astras in the exalibur club. So this list isn't really telling which blades last the longest, but might give some clues, or ones to rule out.

I don't accept this methodology as valid. Whiskers aren't threads. The first two shaves on a blade are a tiny percentage of the shaves I get. Matching the razor, blade, lathering product, and beard is important.

Reductionist studies such as this one seldom give any useful information. I would include this study as one of those.
In fact, it's not even a study.

A study would find an association between the results and shaving experience in a double-blind clinical trial.

Sorry, but I'll just keep using my Astra SP's. Everyone else can use what they like. We will anyway. :)

If you can get dozens of shaves on an Astra SP, it is an indication that your beard is nothing like the beard (and head) of the guy who did the Refined Shave sharpness testing. Thus, I am not at all surprised that you reject his methodology. In his sharpness tests, Astra SP were at the lower end of the sharpness scale. In his shaving tests, he got poor shaves with Astra SP blades. However, you and many others love them.

In contrast, I believe my beard and face are similar to the author of the web site. I have never gotten a decent shave from an Astra SP blade; I have tried them multiple times from multiple sources. They are not sharp enough for my beard and are not smooth enough for my face. That is exactly what the Refined Shave web site reported for his shave tests. IfAstra SP were the only DE blade available, I would go back to using cartridge razors.

On the other hand, my face and beard love the blades at the sharper end of the test spectrum: BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds and German Wilkinson Sword Classic. Even Astra SS blades are fine.

DE blades are one of the most YMMV aspects of DE shaving. Fortunately, there are many choices available, so everyone should be able to find one or more that work for them in their razors. If Astra SP blades work for you, then by all means continue to use them. However, when you are older and your beard turns gray or white like mine, you may find that you need sharper blades.

If you can get dozens of shaves on an Astra SP, it is an indication that your beard is nothing like the beard (and head) of the guy who did the Refined Shave sharpness testing. Thus, I am not at all surprised that you reject his methodology. In his sharpness tests, Astra SP were at the lower end of the sharpness scale. In his shaving tests, he got poor shaves with Astra SP blades. However, you and many others love them.

In contrast, I believe my beard and face are similar to the author of the web site. I have never gotten a decent shave from an Astra SP blade; I have tried them multiple times from multiple sources. They are not sharp enough for my beard and are not smooth enough for my face. That is exactly what the Refined Shave web site reported for his shave tests. IfAstra SP were the only DE blade available, I would go back to using cartridge razors.

On the other hand, my face and beard love the blades at the sharper end of the test spectrum: BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds and German Wilkinson Sword Classic. Even Astra SS blades are fine.

DE blades are one of the most YMMV aspects of DE shaving. Fortunately, there are many choices available, so everyone should be able to find one or more that work for them in their razors. If Astra SP blades work for you, then by all means continue to use them. However, when you are older and your beard turns gray or white like mine, you may find that you need sharper blades.

Sharp enough that retains an edge is better than sharper than needed that doesn't.

I still reject the method as it's testing cutting a thread under tension, not whiskers under no tension.

By the way, I am older.

PS: You'd probably get better results if you used Williams Mug Soap. :p

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's undeniable that all razor blades are sharp. Also we all have differing beards, razors, soaps whatnot that can impact how well they cut.

That said, I know @RayClem like's Bic and @GaryTha like's Astra. I have no doubt that the Bic's are sharp, but they were the tuggiest blade I've ever used. Astra's cut very well for me.

So when one person's "sharp" blade can't cut the whiskers of another shaver well... does that mean the blade isn't sharp? No. It's just another variance and why, other than as a passing interest I find many of the "objective tests" of sharpness in shaving and elsewhere to be of minimal real value to me.

I think perhaps one variable on these blades is the type of grind they have. Is it straight, hollow? What is the angle? Those play some role too. Then we take said blade and bend it to a greater or lesser degree depending on which razor we choose, thus altering the angle. And then we hold them at different angles.

Taking a razor blade and approaching a piece of string perfectly perpendicular is one thing. Shaving is quite another.

I'm a fanatic in achieving a BBS shave everyday. It took 2 years of refining technique but now I've gone 6 years of continuous BBS shaves. I have coarse tough whiskers and like RayClem I rotate the 5 sharpest blades I can find. I used to be a 4 pass shaver, now I use mid aggressive OC razors with 2 against the grain passes, so sharp blades are critical. In order to achieve BBS early on, I wondered if it was worth it because I often experienced weepers and irritation. These days, most blades I use for a max of 3 shaves, I find I can get a couple more days from Nacet and BIC's or even up to 7 days with GSB's but I usually stop at 3 days. I can get a lot more shaves out of any blade if I'm willing to settle for DFS, but when your sick and obsessive like me you just can't settle. So to me, blade life is greatly determined by an individuals face and shaving goals. That's whats fun about this hobby, we can all get out of it what we want. Blade life is no longer my goal. So now after unintentionally highjacking this thread, for me GSBs have had the longest effective life.

Sharp enough that retains an edge is better than sharper than needed that doesn't.

THIS!!

I still reject the method as it's testing cutting a thread under tension, not whiskers under no tension.

Assuming the same brand and size, the thread will be consistent in strength. The tension can be standardized. This eliminates 2 variables in the test and allows the tester to compare the blades more evenly. What those results mean with reference to YOUR shave is for you to decide. Nothing is more YMMV than individual faces.

By the way, I am older.

Not older than me (71)! Dirt is my kid brother!

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

By the way, I am older.

Older perhaps, but certaion

By the way, I am older.

I do agree with you one the "Sharp enough that retains an edge is better than sharper than needed that doesn't." I can only get two good shaves from Feather blades before they become too harsh for my face.

Also, if the only shaving soap that was available was Williams Mug Soap, I would grow a beard. Fortunately, I have lots of better choices in my den.

Top Bottom