What's new

What cream feels most luxurious?

Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter. It has a great scent and just the right amount of menthol. It creates a slick lather that performs great for my shaves. I feel decadent when I shave with it.

Castle Forbes Lime felt luxurious for sure. Also Trumper Sandalwood and TOBS Avocado, TOBS Grapefruit, and Art of Shaving Lemon.

A quick swirl over a tub feels more luxurious that squeezing a tube or liquid pump, although most of my creams now are tubes and pumps. Musgo Real's inflated price can give a luxurious feeling but it doesn't quite feel worth it these days.

Without a doubt Trumper Eucris shaving cream. Every time I use it - even after 16 years - I feel like I'm ready to take on the world.
geo-f-trumper-eucris-shaving-cream-tube_473x608.jpg

Geo F Trumper's soaps I would say, both the Limes and Sandalwood scents that I have are equally "luxurious" smelling. I honestly think that they have a similar performance to something like Proraso (not a knock on GFT, Proraso is just that damn good!), but the scents are on an entirely different level and you get that old timey, Victorian English style branding on the tubs and they do just lather up really nicely and I feel grateful that I exist in a time when those things are accessible to me.

Big fan of creams, especially from the Brits. My favorites are from T&H, GFT, and TOBS. I find they all work about the same. The rub is in the scent which is very personal. For example, it doesn't matter how good the cream is but I just don't like lavender even though it's a favorite for many.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like all 4 soaps in my current rotation. They are all excellent performers but for sheer luxury, I'd have to give the nod to Acca Kappa Barbershop..... I'm amazed every time I brush it onto my face.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Acqua di Parma.
I've heard good things about it.... I'm so reluctant to try new soaps after my skin issue developed a few months ago now. I have it under control now, thx to my dermatologist but new soaps still scare me.

How strong is the scent with Acqua di Parma? The ingredients in the scents is what I'm reacting to, according to her. I had a problem with one of the B&M soaps.... took me three weeks to recover.

I've heard good things about it.... I'm so reluctant to try new soaps after my skin issue developed a few months ago now. I have it under control now, thx to my dermatologist but new soaps still scare me.

How strong is the scent with Acqua di Parma? The ingredients in the scents is what I'm reacting to, according to her. I had a problem with one of the B&M soaps.... took me three weeks to recover.
The scent is medium-high strength for a soap, I would say. After all, you’re buying Acqua di Parma for the Colonia scent, as well as expecting it has highest quality ingredients. But of course it’s a shaving cream and the fragrance is not nearly as strong or long-lasting as in other products. If fragranced soaps can bother your skin then I guess this one isn’t for you - and not worth the risk at that price unless you had tested a small amount on your skin. Of course Acqua di Parma (LVMH) has the resources to test their products thoroughly, which small soap makers cannot, so there’s that as a counter point.

I wonder if you could narrow down what scent components cause problems for you. Which B&M soap was it? It must surely be a strong reaction to have such an effect, and I would think normally B&M soaps are safer than most. You are right to be wary. Some guys here are pretty knowledgeable about ingredients and the most likely offenders within a particular product.

I do find, by the way, that the AdP aftershave products are as good for the skin as the absolute best products I’ve used. I like the Colonia Lozione best, but they’re all great and make my skin feel amazing. But they are all strongly (but tastefully) scented, for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom