What's new

What could be causing this?

What could be causing only one door to not be completely snug on a 40s superspeed when it is in a closed position? Everything looks bang on alignment wise.

The 'lazy' door, or the door that won't fully close is a result of damage to the razor, usually by having been dropped at some point. If the razor landed on the end-cap it may have been (minutely) bent and taken the lift-arm out of true. This will impact the closing of the silo door. You can also damage a razor by tapping or repeatedly banging the end of the razor against the sink, as this can induce the same type of damage.

If you look very closely at the end-caps, I'm confident that you'll see that one of the end-caps and/or lift-arm has been bent.

There have been a few guys here at B&B in the past who had the requisite mechanical and metal working skills to dismantle a razor and effect a repair. It's been done, but it's tedious work and a lot more difficult than you would think. Most attempts to 'fix' this type of damage by the average guy are unsuccessful.

In some cases, if the damage isn't too bad you can load a blade, close up the razor, and press down on the 'lazy' door and it will close up and be usable.

Most of the time, these damaged TTO's just can't be fixed. Hope it works out for you.

-- John Gehman

It's not that. Are 47 ss with the unnotched doors like that by nature without a blade because once I removed any greenies from the works both did it to an exact amount. This thing was not dropped. Everything is bang on. I've had to tear down adjustables and align door armatures. With a blade the blade alignment is bang on and the doors act perfectly.

I do not believe the "unnotched doors are like that by nature".
My '41 Rangers (unnotched obviously) lock up tight.
My '47 Super Speed locks up both doors tight, with or without a blade. I have had 3 of the '47 SS and all closed tightly. best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's not that. Are 47 ss with the unnotched doors like that by nature without a blade because once I removed any greenies from the works both did it to an exact amount. This thing was not dropped. Everything is bang on. I've had to tear down adjustables and align door armatures. With a blade the blade alignment is bang on and the doors act perfectly.

Unless you bought it brand new, and have never let it out of your sight, you can't say it was never dropped.

Very strange. Going to have to think about what else it could be

Not all machinery is made perfect. There can a few factors that be in effect. It may have been over-tighten, it could have been made that way for that particular razor, heating and other metal encounters could have contributed to this particular razor's issue. As you can see there may be a few factors in play. I think that if the razor is still safe and functional dont worry about it. I take razors apart but its not a recommended thing for me to advise since we are dealing with inner parts almost 90 years old.

Very strange. Going to have to think about what else it could be

You may have to adjust the screw.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-for-1940-s-SS?highlight=super speed assemble

attachment.php

Yeah, I know what you mean. Superspeeds are one style I hate disassembling to begin with. Between the 40s style, aristocrats, presidents, red tips, flares, etc I must have had 20 over time, but I only ended up having to take apart two in order to resolve stuff. They are no party to tear down vs most. Out of those, most exhibited at least one sign of having been donked on a floor or a sink, but this thing looks fantastic and it just makes it highly annoying.

I'm going to have to find the flat head I modified to have rabbit ears, good call. Safety bars are even, end caps are not kinked, door arms are even, the inner stem is tracking even through the baseplate slot... It has to be that or some weird materials issue.

Well, I tried. It was either always this way or it is a product of age because I tore it down and everything was ok. It works as it should as long as the blade is in there which is what counts. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom