What's new

what constitutes an expert

10,000 hours of practice is the rule of thumb. Violin, woodworking, etc. That’s a lot of shaves.

That’s once you have mastered the basics.

So 10,000 hours or 20,000 shaves that each last 30 min (closer to 20 min, but this is for the sake of argument). Divde by 350 and you need 57 years of shaving.

Now subtract the years that I used carts and I might make it if I live long enough!! :a29:

10,000 hours of practice is the rule of thumb. Violin, woodworking, etc. That’s a lot of shaves.

That's to achieve mastery (although debunked as a rule), but I would state that even some who master a craft might not necessarily be an expert at it. Being able to do doesn't necessarily equate to "authoritative knowledge" in my book.

As to who's an expert on wet shaving...we all are! ;)

Mark Twain's definition: “An expert is someone from out of town.”

Sometimes resulting in this:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A lot of the tubers are just fellows who like to shave and receive some tokens from artisans and they try to explain the product as best as possible. Most of us know they have experience whether it be straight edge, vintage or modern razors. Some people are looking to buy a new razor and the tubers might have one in use to show and tell folks how it shaves or soaps or aftershaves.........brushes. Youtube changed the payouts a while back and a lot of the tubers did not make really anything!
Cheap entertainment unless you buy the products.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I dunno, expert or not, whenever I look up something (recipes, how to do something etc) I'll try to look at a few pages/people/sources in how to do it before I try it myself regardless of however they brand/label themselves.... is it foolproof? Absolutely not, but yeh.

Come on Guy's and Gal's Just think about it most of the people on youtube get free stuff from the sponsors to sell end of it, nobody is an expert in anything from when you're born until you die. You carry on learning throughout life you become a master, an expert is someone who knows everything but can master nothing.

My profession is an HGV truck driver or stateside Big Rig, but my title is a "steering wheel attendant" :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: But that doesn't make me an expert as 2 days are never the same..

That's my take on it we can offer advice on what we pick up along our travels it's up to the person if they are willing to try it or not.

@Scaramouche
As for the burger place posted above I look to see how many trucks are outside it and that don't have one so I would never stop there lol

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Read through this thread:

It will either help you figure it out or completely confuse the issue further. At least no one there ever let anyone’s personal abilities stand in the way of incompetence, or let anyone’s incompetence stand in the way of personal abilities . In fact it’s all actively encouraged.

Your welcome (in advance)

Last edited:
I'm a frickin' expert!

Started wetshaving in 2009. Can shave equally well with a cartridge razor, an injector, a GEM razor, a double-edge razor, an AC razor, AC shavettes, or old-school straights! Make my own lather for every shave and can lather creams or soaps with equal aplomb! Get fantastic shaves four times a week and that's all the times I shave per week!

Again, I reiterate: I am an expert! So there.

having run across a thread from a couple years back where some members argued about you tubers being classed as experts, made me wonder then what constitutes an expert, is it the guy with a you tube channel, or perhaps it's the guy who has been wet shaving for 50 years but still has a face covered in tissue paper stopping the flow of blood from his many nicks, or what about the guy who's been shaving for a year but gets a bbs shave every time, or perhaps the shaving store owner who's been selling shaving products for 20 odd years, so what constitutes an expert🤔... although this thread is open to discussion, it's not intended to cause arguments, and should be seen(although a genuine question) as a light hearted discussion on what constitutes an expert😉

The youtuber with the face covered with tissue papers, i think i have seen too! :lol1: In fact, i have seen worse! Real bloodbaths with the blood flowing without tissues! These are "youtube influencers". Companies send them products for free and 99% of the time they only speak well of them, so they can get more. I mean, someone tries 50 soaps and each time he likes the scent?! Not once he says "this one is not for me, guys!". I have seen youtube "experts" that can't even make a proper lather to cover their skin. And then comment on the soap's "properties". What properties?! You are shaving with 0.1mm lather! If you can see your skin under the "lather", maybe you shouldn't be in youtube describing properties! Maybe you should check the Cella's grandpa, take notes and try again! :lol1:

Shaving is so subjective, that "expertise" is something IMHO individual. You can be expert for yourself, if you don't bleed or suffer after every shave and know how to use your tools. Aside that, it is the realm of YMMV. So one man's expertise is another man's ignorance.

P.S.: That said, there are some youtubers i like. My favorite is a gentleman from this forum, going by " @sugardaddy ". He is calm, cool, not extravagand and we have similar tastes in some technical matters.

Look for "excellence" ...An "expert" is someone who can execute an action and achieve excellence in that action, almost always without struggle. They may, or may not, be proficient at communicating the method, or sequence of events necessary to achieve excellence, but, even without professional critique, "excellence" is usually apparent, even to a casual observer, becuse it shines far above ordinary, or mundane. Usain Bolt, David Gilmore, Vincent Van Gogh, and Henry Ford, are, and were ..experts.

I'm an expert, I've got an answer for any question. I will say I honestly know more about shaving than most people who aren't B&B habitués.

Any regular here would qualify as an expert to the cartridge crowds.

I'm in awe of the in-depth knowledge shown by some of our more knowledgable and experienced members.

Some Youtubers seem knowledgeable about the products they use, but unless someone is a professional barber with lots of years of experience, I wouldn't call anyone a shaving expert. I might consider folks who know alot about vintage razors (especially rare ones) soft of experts. Sure, some of them seem to be very good at shaving with a straight razor, shavette and so on, but does that really makes them experts? In terms of shaving, however I see things a bit different. What I consider to be a skill is when someone with very sensitive skin and very dense and coarse beard learns how to shave super close every time without any irritation, cuts or nicks.

Lots of people have either normal or very rugged skin and getting BBS for them is relatively easy compared to those with sensitive skin, but they call themselves skilled. That's like being born genetically stronger and then competing with someone who's below average and much weaker and then brag how skilled you are.

Top Bottom