What's new

What constitutes a "high end" boar

Is it just build quality? I'm not an expert but I think it's generally true that badger prices are roughly based on a scale from rough to soft, with density and loft variables thrown in there. What about boar? are the sizes and hairs simply a matter of preference or is there more to boar brush pricing than general build quality?

I'd say hair, handle, design (loft-diameter-density), and build quality. The same metrics apply to other materials too.

Your assumptions about badgers are somewhat mistaken.

It varies a LOT from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the general rules WITHIN one maker are that you pay more for size, density, and work involved in sorting. More meticulous sorting or a more rare type of hair (not necessarily softer, but oftentimes it is) = more $.

I'll look at Semogue for Boars, as I know Semogue and they also have the most detailed grading system I know of for Boar.

They have hair grades. I've no clue WHAT distinguishes one grade from another, but there you go. These grades seem to make the second most difference in cost right after size and finally density.

Handle type probably plays a role for most makers as well (I would assume that the large "barber-shop" metal handled Omega's would assume a premium over a similar brush in a cheap wood or plastic handle).

I think as a general rule, by picking a good brand you usually get good build quality with boars. Cost just changes the type of well-made brush you get. Semogue's cheapest (~$12) brush easily available, the 1470, is very well made. It's just small, one of their lower grades of badger, not hugely dense, and has a VERY simple handle.

My badger generalization was meant to be VERY general, I understand that I can pay hundreds of dollars for a brush with low density and rough texture if I want, and that brand name and handle attractiveness are seriously expensive additions to a knot. I am considereing gettting a boar to try and I wanted to know if a cheap and expensive boar are night/day as far as performence is concerned, as it GENERALLY is with badger:001_smile

I think as a general rule, by picking a good brand you usually get good build quality with boars. Cost just changes the type of well-made brush you get. Semogue's cheapest (~$12) brush easily available, the 1470, is very well made. It's just small, one of their lower grades of badger, not hugely dense, and has a VERY simple handle.

This is the insight I was shooting for. Thanks slice!

You're welcome. Good luck with your brush search. I'm eyeing the Omega 80097 myself, because I don't mind the look, the specs are around what I seem to like, and I feel like I owe it to Omega to try them out (since I've tried about a dozen Semogue by now).

I am considereing gettting a boar to try and I wanted to know if a cheap and expensive boar are night/day as far as performence is concerned, as it GENERALLY is with badger:001_smile

The simplest anwser is you can go wrong with Omega and Semogue; these are the two most renowned boars makers - even their lower end products will be cheap and good.

A no name brand boar costing the same or more, is more likely to offer the sort of experience that makes people think boars are crap. It's brsuhes liek these that put people off boar.

I have a 620 which is Semogues lowest hair grade in a short brush. It's scrubby and has more backbone than a blue whale. I had the Owners club which was bigger, fatter, far softer and even more luxurious than any Pure badger brush I've tried. But ultimately, too big and went too soft.

As for performance, as in lather quality, I feel any Semogue I have is the equal of my Rooney 1/2. Which barely gets used anyway now.

Forgive me I'm new.

proxy.php

Top Bottom