What's new

What color polish to use on Oxblood Dr. Martens?

Now I know kiwi makes a oxblood polish but I was hoping to go with a shoe cream instead of a polish. The only thing is, I can't find a oxblood colored cream. So I ask, which color should I go with? Burgundy? Bordeaux? Cordovan? Red?

Thanks.

Oxblood can have a range of colors, including dark purple in the right light. It can be a little tough to match to third party products. If there is a cordovan color, as opposed to type of cream, I'd try that first.

FWIIW, I prefer to use polish unless the shoe requires the extra stain present in cream.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to make the red come out a little more but was afraid I would somehow ruin the boots by using a non oxblood color. At the moment they look brownish more so than red.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Or ...

proxy.php

Do you want them more red? Lincoln makes a red paste I used to use on Weejuns because I wanted to keep the color toward red not brown. Lighter polish does not affect color nearly as much as a darker than the actual shoe color will, in my limited experience.

Last edited:
Both. I want a decent shine and I also want to boost the color a bit towards the red side. I gave in and ordered the oxblood polish made my kiwi. Hopefully it works out.

Check out the saphir shoe polishes. They have a cream and a polish.

They have a burgundy and also a red if I'm not mistaken. They make some great shoe care products.

Kind of a stupid questions...

But I saw that Dr. Martens makes a Cherry Red shoe polish. Do you think that it would help bring out the red hues or just make them look silly? At the moment they are looking a little brown.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Oxblood 1461s Made in England and I have always used Kiwi Oxblood polish on them. It will bring them up to a nice shine and it's good for the leather. I must admit that I've only every used Kiwi shoe polishes so I have nothing to compare it with. That being said I spent over 30 years in the army so I have a good idea what works well. I have a pair in black that are over 20 years old and they gleam.

Top Bottom