What's new

What cologne disappointed you?

Dissapointed is wrong word here but D&G The one.I heared so many praises and decided to try it. Nothing special.
On the second note, so many youtube reviewers called my favourite scent boring and nothing special however I like it, I wear it very rarely however each time I wear it I get compliments. Perhaps it's cultural divide West- East.

My latest disappointment. After being spoiled with Jazz Prestige, which is great, Jazz it too light for my tastes.

YSLJazz350.jpg

DR Harris Marlborough. To me, it smelled like the old butts from the ashtray of that old Buick that has been sitting in the bush for 35 years.

Just about anything with vetiver. Vetiver has a tendency to dry down to a beef broth scent on me.

The herbal notes in Guerlain's version could certainly contribute to that impression of that scent.

This one, in its ribbed bottle formula, was a huge letdown for me when I blind bought it ten years ago. Luckily the latest version is different enough that I'm warmed up to the scent and wear it frequently now.

Le eau de Issey pour homme. Headachy, synthetic, despite a million good reviews. Gave to wife, don't laugh, could be unisex. Lemon fizz right?

Le Male. Now you can laugh! minty fougere doesn't work, again a million positive reviews. Could be a biased crowd that likes the bottle ... should toss it. Or leave it at that one bar downtown ...

AA
Yes LeMale is awful. I tried a sample it made my eyes water and it woke me up after I fell asleep.

Dunhill Century. There’s a bitter note in there (the cypriol?) that makes it difficult to love. I can still pull it off if I spray lightly.

Bath & Body Works Midnight.
I don't shop there, but my daughter (Mini Zig) had a gift card and wanted to do something nice.

Midnight is listed as having cedar leaf, amber musk, and black pepper. It's said to smell like Sauvage, but I really can't tell. It only lasts for about an hour on my skin. That's just not enough for a $40 clone.

Truffitt & Hill’s “West Indian Lime.”

Despite its steep price point, it dissipates as quickly as a cheap drugstore aftershave. 😩
I feel your pain, but then aftershave is not a perfume. It is not meant to last long. It is perfectly normal for a quality aftershave to dissipate quickly, as it only contains 1% fragrance oil or even less. If you want a lasting fragrance with silage and projection, you should couple your T&H aftershave with a matching "cologne".

1623240408969.png

Just about any vetiver based scent. For some reason vetiver dries down on me into a scent resembling vegetable broth. I walk around the rest of the day wondering, "who's cooking alphabet soup?"

No, but it's not too hard to find. Finding a fair price though is another story.
Wonder if it’s even WORTH finding. 🤔

I’m a bit of a fragrance “hound” myself, and I remember YSL’s “Jazz” from, like…, the EIGHTIES! 😱

Man, I would think any available bottles would be “off,” if not just flat, with little actual scent left.

Unless, it’s a super PREMIUM, “high end” perfume, ala “Creed’s,” I would think any remaining scent from a fragrance of that era would be LONG gone. 🙁

I feel your pain, but then aftershave is not a perfume. It is not meant to last long. It is perfectly normal for a quality aftershave to dissipate quickly, as it only contains 1% fragrance oil or even less. If you want a lasting fragrance with silage and projection, you should couple your T&H aftershave with a matching "cologne".

View attachment 1279110
Huh? 🤔

That’s what I was referring to, the COLOGNE pictured in your post (retail - about $75 bucks 🙁).

My most recent disappointment was Xerjoff Erba Pura. I am a huge fan of the house, but this one DID NOT work for me. It was a nuclear strength, chemical smelling mess that I couldn't wait to be over.

Wonder if it’s even WORTH finding. 🤔

I’m a bit of a fragrance “hound” myself, and I remember YSL’s “Jazz” from, like…, the EIGHTIES! 😱

Man, I would think any available bottles would be “off,” if not just flat, with little actual scent left.

Unless, it’s a super PREMIUM, “high end” perfume, ala “Creed’s,” I would think any remaining scent from a fragrance of that era would be LONG gone. 🙁
With reasonable care fragrances can last decades without any issues, but as always there are exceptions.

Top Bottom