What's new

What Change to Your Routine Made the Biggest Difference?

Using an Alum block, not only is this better for skin etc it also tells you how the shave went. Use it to better judge an irritation free or better shave with the feed back. Also the biggest was learning steep angle as was using a neutral angle for the first couple years and all the shaving tutorials showed ride the cap (shallow) and slowly bring the razor down.... This caused much more harm to my technique than anything!!! YMMV and for my skin and my face Steep angle shaving has fixed everything (first BBS shave was obtained a couple years ago when doing this)

The change to my shaving routine that made the biggest difference was finally buying and using 2 shaving brushes. I had been in outer darkness for years and thought rubbing shaving cream onto my wet face with my fingers was enough for a good shave. Using the brushes has greatly improved my shave and extended the life of my blades, DE, SE and injector. I don't use a shaving bowl. My routine is to wet my face with the brush, rub the cream or soap onto my face and then use the wet brush to whip up lather directly on my face. An old dog can learn new tricks.

For me the big change came when I moved to cold water shaves. This was easier on my skin. The next big change was moving to a slicker soap and aftershave balm. I still use my Williams and Old Spice but not every day. I am very cheap by nature so dropping +$20 on soap took a long time but when I realized how long it lasts and how well it works it was easy to justify.

Deciding to shave like my Grandad, one careful pass and out.
Finding a razor that I love and sticking with it.
Two soaps one cream that work well for my beard/skin type.
Not chasing expensive badgers, or flavour of the month brushes.
Finding a blade that‘s smooth, long lasting, and doesn’t bite.

Top Bottom