What's new

What caused you to switch to wet shaving (DE, SE, straight)?

What caused you to switch to wet shaving (DE, straight, SE)?

• 1. Discomfort of previous shaving method (cartridge or electric)

• 2. Bad (i.e. not close) shave of previous method (cart or electric)

• 3. High cost of previous method (e.g. cartridges)

• 4. I was brought up wet shaving, and have stuck with it

• 5. I was curious to try wet shaving, decided I like it

• 6. I enjoy a sense of tradition and doing things the "traditional way"

• 7. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was curious about it and I had researched wet shaving a year ago, but the Mach 3 cartridges worked for me and I didn't have any reason to switch. The Gillette commercial was enough to get me to try it. After five weeks of wet shaving, I can honestly say that it is a better way to shave and I should have made the jump a long time ago.

Interesting thread! In 2001, when I started shaving at 15 years old I started with a cheap DE loaded with the blades that were readily available for me then-Gillette Platinum and some SuperMax varieties. Had some nice shaves for about two years, then went to cartridges. Stuck with those until 2016. At that point I was fed up of the iritation on my face and the high cost demanded by cartridges and decided to scour the internet for a suitable alternative. So I found out about the wonderful Merkur razors and ordered my first two of them locally. Now I have 7 different razors with many types of blades and aftershaves to my heart's content so I never run out.
I still use a Mach 3 cartridge to shave my head but on that area the skin is thicker, more resilient and I can shave quickly.
On my face however I need to pamper myself.
The face shave is also considerably smoother whereas my scalp feels a bit coarse. You can see that the DE blades are much sharper and better adapted to avoid pressure.

Last edited:
The Gillette toxic masculinity commercial.

I will never buy another modern Gillette product again.

I am actually grateful to them as I now enjoy shaving and would have never know about traditional shaving otherwise.

Right there with you, brother. Being a head and face shaver, I used to spend around $300 a year on Mach 3 and Sensor 2 carts. I decided to give DE shaving another try after a failed attempt a few years ago.

After some initial growing pains, I hit a breakthrough a week and a half ago. With a Merkur Progress, a Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade, and Proraso Green I was able to achieve the most comfortable, enjoyable, and closest shave I’ve ever had. If P&G hadn’t made that damn Gillette commercial, I never would have gotten into this either.

Last edited:
- got utterly fed up with plastic disposables
- electric razors are hopeless
- found my old Gillette Slim covered in verdigris, cleaned it up, bought some blades......
- wondered why I ever stopped using it
- now have 12 razors, 300 blades, 3 brushes and 30 soaps

Funny how that Gillette ad turned out (I don't have strong feelings on politics, so this is news to me).

I like the use of the word "chore". I didn't see it that way before; I saw it as no more annoying that brushing teeth and showering. Now I definitely enjoy the lathering part; the actual shaving with a safety razor, so-so.

Moved out of my apartment a couple days ago and the toiletry bag accidentally got packed by the movers and now my electric is in storage for 4-6 weeks :O Couldn't convince myself to replace it for a few weeks, and also couldn't convince myself to go back to disposable cartridges. Figured might as well try a safety razor...day 2, much less blood. I have fallen in love with the brush/shave cream combination.

How do I recycle? Can I just throw the blades into the little plastic disposal bin and then toss in in regular recycling? Or does it go to "sharps" at a hospital?

How do I recycle? Can I just throw the blades into the little plastic disposal bin and then toss in in regular recycling? Or does it go to "sharps" at a hospital?

You need to use a metal can or a metal blade bank if you want to recycle. When it’s full, check your local municipalities guidelines on scrap metal recycling.

New to wet shaving here. I got into it for a multitude of reasons I suppose.

I had been growing a beard for around 10 months and was thinking of taking it down. I have a Braun electric razor that I used when I was required to shave for work every day, but the shaves aren't that close (very comfortable though, for the most part).

I have always hated shaving in the past. Razor burn, skin bumps, ingrown hairs, horrible rashes, etc. I did not want to go back to carts, and wanted to try traditional shaving as a hobby to get enjoyment out of shaving vs seeing it as a chore I disliked.

I am into fragrances a bit and I saw some of the newcomers to that forum mentioned they were coming from the wet shaving community. I started watching wet shaving videos on YouTube and thought "This it!" I really liked the idea of doing things in a more traditional manner, and the appeal of using a brush and making a lather just the way I like it appealed to me as well. The cost savings is definitely very appealing as well IMO. There didn't seem to be any down sides from my angle. Sure, there's the initial costs of getting started (but that's the same with anything new) and the learning curve of using a DE razor, but the learning curve is kind of fun in a way I suppose.

Also: Gillette can go bankrupt as far as I am concerned. Why you would make a commercial that attacks your target demographic is beyond me. I refuse to buy any of their products. Razor blades, creams, razors, etc are all a big no from me. There's way too many great products available in the wet shaving world to compromise my standards. Fortunately, I will never have to.

A co worker tossed a Gillette Super Speed on my desk one day and told me to start shaving like an adult. I ordered a Proraso white kit and I was on my way.

Now I’m using a straight razor as well and my co worker has a nice collection of straights. He got me two strops for Christmas and has taught me a lot.

My dad shaved with a Gillette adjustable and canned foam. I took my first fuzz off with my older sister’s electric razor (without permission), then she went to college, so I switched to a Techmatic (boo! hiss!) and then a Schick injector, while hijacking some foam (without permission). Left home, started using Williams Mug (cheap!) and the rest is history.

I voted 4, I don’t think my sister’s leg shaver counts. My dad never said a thing to me about shaving, but I saw him do it plenty of times. I probably learned about shaving mugs and brushes from cartoons and comics. I was wise enough not to start using dad’s razor without permission, just his can of foam...

#1: Used disposables mostly for years and occasionally overpriced Mach-Whatevers. I often got razor burn, in-growns, etc. DE safety razors made sense to investigate.

#6: Recollections of shaving as a little kid with my grandpa were an inspiration. I'd follow closely along with him prepping kit, lathering up, and scraping off a few passes with one of his razors (no blade). Seemed like an awesome, manly ritual then and still does. Also as life gets more digital, so to speak, I often look for more analog and skill-driven ways of doing some things. Plus I'm a DIY, tinkering, gear nerd in general anyway.

I bought one of my sons a de razor, brush, & cream for Christmas. Another son of mine told me he also purchased a shaving starter set for that son, so I kept the one I purchased for him & started using it myself.

At the time I started I was having trouble with psoriasis on my face so I would have to go 3 days or more witout shaving. Shaving itself became a pain in the arse because first I'd have to go over my face with an electric trimmer then use my gillette fusion. The cart would get clogged up or start tugging after 2 or 3 shaves necessitating a change and using the fusion started to get pretty epensive. I googled articles on the best cheaper alternatives to Gillette and razors and came across articles about DE shaving after thinking about it for a month I took the plunge and bought my first DE and blade sample pack

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was into learning methods on how to sharpen kitchen knifes and learning how to prolong a cartridge razor (35+yrs using carts)on youtube and off to the side of computer screen a saw a person shaving with a old slim razor like my father had and so I watched and concluded that this is interesting method and possibly cheaper way to shave.
So I picked 6 and 7 and would of picked 3 of this survey also but your only allowed 2 picks, The conclusion after 2 1/2 years there is not really any better shaving system than traditional wet shaving (DE & SE & of coarse straight razors) that gives a great sense of achievement of technique and buying product to improve my skin and improve the outcome of a shaving utilitarian chore & also learning the proper way to shave.
Kauffe brothers,Gillette, Schick, GEM Cutlery,Ever-ready..... got it right over 100 years ago and some strange desire to improve something is in the human jean pool and now disposable & electric razors dominate the shaving industry.

I had been shaving with electric razors for several years and struggled with my latest Norelco. I researched electrics online discovering factors like beard growth and skin sensitivity. Ended up buying a Braun that worked well. However I couldn't stop looking into other shaving options. Discovered Youtube channels like Sharpologist and Shavenation which started it all for me.

Top Bottom