What's new

What can I do with a scroll saw?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got gramps old Scroll Saw just sitting in the shed rafters not being used. Hasn’t been used in....5+ years I’d guess. I plugged it in and it works just fine. But....what the heck would I use it for?

Adjustable speed, the table turns 45 degrees. It’s also got some type of nozzle that sprays something on what ever you are cutting? What’s that about?

I know I can cut stuff (obviously) but what? What did folks use these for?

2CA4A592-1A56-416F-A38B-9A7C8E95F894.jpeg

6FF1B967-4C03-443E-A2EC-50364079A5E4.jpeg

DDB238D9-6644-4E85-90E5-087B3F473591.jpeg

Check out Lumberjacks.com forums. You will be surprised at some of the scroll work folks do.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

If you shave with straight razors, a scroll saw is ideal for cutting out wood, micarta, acrylic, etc. to make scales for the razor. It is not designed to work in thick material, but makes very clean cuts in thin materials.

In the spirit of holidays, toys and ornaments. My father in law made lots of trucks, reindeer, Santa things with his scroll saw. I’m sure a google will yield some plans. Happy creating!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The blower is to blow the sawdust away so you can follow the line you draw on the wood before cutting.

Marquetry, whirligigs, shaving stands, small boxes, basically makes cutting intricate curves in thin wood a breeze.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The blower is to blow the sawdust away so you can follow the line you draw on the wood before cutting.
Oh so that’s what that is. I was thinking it was like a water system to cool down the piece you are cutting, but that only made sense for metal really and I was confused.
So it automatically turns on when you are cutting or you have to hook something else up to it?

Oh so that’s what that is. I was thinking it was like a water system to cool down the piece you are cutting, but that only made sense for metal really and I was confused.
So it automatically turns on when you are cutting or you have to hook something else up to it?
Mine automatically works when I turn it on.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow! He must have some sort of quick connect for the blade. It would take longer to reposition the wood than do the cuts!

It can be a bit tedious cutting all the little inside cuts. Some of these I can do in a day, others take a bit longer. I have a Dewalt - loosen the lower clamp, lift the arm, thread the blade down through the next hole, clamp it back in.

I have a model, similar to yours, nearly a decade older I would say. It comes in handy for all sorts of cuts, especially cutting-out scales for razors. Mine has no dedicated purpose, I just pull it out when I need to make a tight radius or tricky cut.

Top Bottom