What's new

What can I do with a scroll saw?

Got gramps old Scroll Saw just sitting in the shed rafters not being used. Hasn’t been used in....5+ years I’d guess. I plugged it in and it works just fine. But....what the heck would I use it for?

Adjustable speed, the table turns 45 degrees. It’s also got some type of nozzle that sprays something on what ever you are cutting? What’s that about?

I know I can cut stuff (obviously) but what? What did folks use these for?

View attachment 929692

View attachment 929693

View attachment 929694

Intricate cutting of thin material. Sort of like a miniature band saw. My father used one for intricate designs. Many of these required him to bore a hole large enough to insert the blade, remove and insert the blade through the hole, cut the design, and repeat.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can see some weekend projects coming up. Have fun and enjoy using something from your grandfather.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s winter and I’m bored as heck. Time to light up the kerosene heater in the shed me thinks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Picked up an assortment of blades yesterday. 21 TPI, 15 TPI and 18.5 TPI. Now I need wood!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That guy must have taken DECADES to be able to do that kind of work with a scroll saw. My first attempt and I’m left with pieces.

772220CA-8DB1-4157-9A29-CACCC3BEECD1.jpeg

4B972C4E-C14F-4C15-A27C-D9F651C5E3B7.jpeg

Pieces is just fine for your first time. You hopefully learned a few things about the saw and will improve with each project. If you want to keep the letters together, you need to either cut only cut from one side, such as the bottom (leaving the top connected to support the piece, or us a drill bit to allow the blade to be inserted in the middle of the piece (of course, this means taking the blade off and on each time you cut another part out of the inside of piece.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I took a video of the whole project but it’s to long to upload from my iPad. So here’s the clips of the snaps.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hey, there you go, failure is never an option. Looks great, now put a string around the top and hang it on the Christmas tree!
Yup, probably will do that. Going to put a couple coats of polyurethane on it first. At first I thought it might be to big for the Christmas tree. But then I thought "the tree is 9ft....it won't look to big"

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got some new blades and been busy.

6A869E51-7A3D-4D9F-9BBF-27275C0C8F4F.jpeg

DAB7A3FC-AFEE-4FCA-9683-CE90D3805DCC.jpeg

EEF2196E-3565-4956-BAC6-99E5F7FD6212.jpeg

Any tips on finishing these? Seems that a lot of folks use danish oil. How do you recommend I get it inside the nooks and crannies that a brush can’t reach?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Wow, you've really stepped up your game fast! :thumbup1:

If you're going to leave the wood natural or stain it, you can apply oils or oil based stains rather liberally with a brush or rag then wipe off the excess with a lint free soft cloth. Torn up old sheets work well.

Top Bottom