What's new

What Camera Do You Use?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Nothing exotic but suits my budget and shooting style, a Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR. This is my second. One of my girlfriends decided that she needed one also. She is now shooting better pics than I do.

s-l400(1).png

IMG_20211230_163334.jpg

s-l400(4).png

s-l400(3).pngs-l400(2).png

Recently replaced my aging Canon 6Dmk1 with an r6. It's been an amazing improvement. The AF system is absolutely wonderful.

Legion

Staff member
Recently replaced my aging Canon 6Dmk1 with an r6. It's been an amazing improvement. The AF system is absolutely wonderful.
Yeah, they have come a long way in the last few years. My buddy works for Canon, and he brought an R3 and R5 around to my place for me to evaluate the other day. I was very impressed with the AF. Even shooting the 50mm f1.2 wide open it was quick and I barely had a miss.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Yeah, they have come a long way in the last few years. My buddy works for Canon, and he brought an R3 and R5 around to my place for me to evaluate the other day. I was very impressed with the AF. Even shooting the 50mm f1.2 wide open it was quick and I barely had a miss.
Changing to Canon's mirrorless system will be pretty expensive for me... and I guess, for anyone making the switch. I'm saving up now but I'm not in desperate need of new gear, truth be told. At this point, I'm sort of hoping Canon will release the R5 V2 in a couple years. I am planning on waiting until then.... I'm guessing that might happen in 2 or 3 years.

Canon 7D paired with Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is my go-to setup.
Great value and decent burst rate for sports (especially low light/indoors)
as well as wonderful bokeh for portraits. Not planning to switch to mirrorless
but might go in the other direction and seek out a Leica M3.

A nine-year old Nikon D7100 with a Sigma 17-50mm/2.8 OIS, with which I take about 80 % of my photos. The other 20 % are taken using a Sigma 10-20mm/3.5 ultra-wide, a Nikkor 70-300mm/4.5-5.6 VR tele or a Micro Nikkor 40mm/2.8 macro.

I shoot RAW, process the captures with DxO PureRAW 2 and finish them in Lightroom 6. So far, I'm quite pleased with the results, however, I'm just a hobby photographer, definitely not a pro or aspiring to be a pro.

I'm currently considering getting a smaller and lighter system and have been studying reviews of Olympus Micro Four Thirds (MFT or µFT) cameras such as the E-M5 Mk. III with either a lens duo consisting of a 12-45mm/4 Pro and a 40-150mm/4 Pro or with an always-on lens like the 12-100mm/4 IS Pro.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If I hadn't fallen in love with the large wading birds here in Florida, I would have a smaller set-up. As it is, I'm focal length limited. Most of my photographs are shot with a Canon 100-400mm 2.. a very nice lens but not one of their long, whites. When I'm out at the nature preserves here, I routinely see other photographers with 500mm, 600mm and even a few 800mm lenses in use, both Nikon and Canon... and now days, quite a few Sonys are out in the wild as well. I used to lust over those lenses.... now that I'm almost 69, I would have to use a tripod all the time... or start body building. ;)

All the major players in wildlife photography have really stepped up their game when it comes to their focusing systems. As was mentioned, the Canon R6 and R5 are amazing.... focus right on the eyes of animals, birds and humans. Composition becomes so easy..... add to that, their new 100-500mm lens is also a keeper.... but it all costs money... a whole lot more than I'm spending on wet shaving. ;)

Changing to Canon's mirrorless system will be pretty expensive for me... and I guess, for anyone making the switch. I'm saving up now but I'm not in desperate need of new gear, truth be told. At this point, I'm sort of hoping Canon will release the R5 V2 in a couple years. I am planning on waiting until then.... I'm guessing that might happen in 2 or 3 years.
There's a significant outlay for sure, but I found it to be basically the same as upgrading my DSLR body to another DSLR body. The EF to RF adapter is a solid piece of gear and, I swear, my lenses are all sharper on the new body, even though they are adapted. I can use all my old LP6 batteries, my old memory cards (I upgraded a few for video needs), my old flash, all of my EF lenses (old, old unsupported mk1 lenses)... Now, when I start upgrading to RF glass, that is when my pocketbook will REALLY take a beating. But the adapter is so good, that I don't see that happening for a while. I've pretty much always been a canon shooter though (xsi, t2i, 5dc, 5dmkII, eosM, 6D, R6), and I figured the move to mirrorless was gonna have to happen sooner or later if I wanted to stay with the platform. I even love their cinema cams... the C200 is a workhorse I'd love to have access to again (though a bit outdated now.)

Also, I was able to pick up the body through Canon's loyalty program. Which saved me about $500. I'll take 20% off a new body any day. It might be worth looking into if you're looking to make the move at some time in the future. I can see this body lasting for many many years and it has made my shooting much more efficient and enjoyable. I still love my 6D, and take it along as a second body, but the R6 is leaps and bounds ahead. Part of me wishes I sprung for the R5, but the price point and features of the R6 are just fine for me. I use it as part of my day job and it has met every challenge.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There's a significant outlay for sure, but I found it to be basically the same as upgrading my DSLR body to another DSLR body. The EF to RF adapter is a solid piece of gear and, I swear, my lenses are all sharper on the new body, even though they are adapted. I can use all my old LP6 batteries, my old memory cards (I upgraded a few for video needs), my old flash, all of my EF lenses (old, old unsupported mk1 lenses)... Now, when I start upgrading to RF glass, that is when my pocketbook will REALLY take a beating. But the adapter is so good, that I don't see that happening for a while. I've pretty much always been a canon shooter though (xsi, t2i, 5dc, 5dmkII, eosM, 6D, R6), and I figured the move to mirrorless was gonna have to happen sooner or later if I wanted to stay with the platform. I even love their cinema cams... the C200 is a workhorse I'd love to have access to again (though a bit outdated now.)

Also, I was able to pick up the body through Canon's loyalty program. Which saved me about $500. I'll take 20% off a new body any day. It might be worth looking into if you're looking to make the move at some time in the future. I can see this body lasting for many many years and it has made my shooting much more efficient and enjoyable. I still love my 6D, and take it along as a second body, but the R6 is leaps and bounds ahead. Part of me wishes I sprung for the R5, but the price point and features of the R6 are just fine for me. I use it as part of my day job and it has met every challenge.
Awesome.

I've done a lot of reading and looking at YouTube reviews. I know the R5 would be worth it for me. I think I recently found a way to come up with the money in a year or so, depending. But at that point, will the R5 V2 be on the horizon? I'm sort of hoping that is the case.

I've had some health issues that have kept me sidelined a bit as it is. I'm working on those and making some headway. So, I have time. In the mean time... my IDX2 is no slouch.

Top Bottom