What's new

What Camera Do You Use?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not sure where you are in Florida, but in St Augustine (NE coast) the alligator farm has a boardwalk that goes out into the swamp/river and it's all wild waders.

View attachment 1490313

this guy I took with about 100 on a 70-200 zoom
Yeah, we go there every year for the rookery season. As you noted, 6 or 7 species of large wading birds court, mate, nest and raise their young there. The gators keep all their natural predators at bay... none of them can get by the gators to raid the nests so they are completely safe. They fish outside the Alligator farm and return home during the day with the fish to feed the chicks.... and roost there at sundown or shortly thereafter... it's quite a sight to behold.... watching them all arrive at dusk. You have to purchase a special pass to be able to stay after 5 when the park closes but it's worth it.

We're about 1.5 hours south of St. Augustine, give or take so it's an easy trip. And you are right.... you can get by with a 70-200 lens for some shots.... but as you know, since you've been there, some shots are farther away from the boardwalk and a longer lens can be a plus. Even in that smaller space, I see lots of 500 and 600mm lenses, as I'm sure you noticed.

This is one of my shots from there:

CattleEgret.jpg

Cropped from this. I did downsize it a bit for B&B:

EgretOriginal.jpg

I mainly use Leica M4, M4-P and M6TTL. The lenses are the classics for rangefinders: 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm.
Those are hard to beat. I use an M4 myself, mainly with a 35mm. Today I took along the Nikon FE2 that someone gave me last year. It was fun to use a large aperture 50mm on a manual focus SLR.

Those are hard to beat. I use an M4 myself, mainly with a 35mm. Today I took along the Nikon FE2 that someone gave me last year. It was fun to use a large aperture 50mm on a manual focus SLR.
The FE2 has an ideal size for SLR's. I have looked at modern SLR cameras but, in my opinion, are they unneccesary large.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I likley have an use more vintage film cameras than many have straight razors LOL. Nikon F and F2 (several of each), Leica m4, M4-P & CL rangefinders and a pair of Leicaflex standards. Minolta SRT-101 and SRT-102, Pentax S1a and SV. For medium format I shoot Pentax 6x7, Mamiya RB67 and Hasselblad 500CM. Probably sold and traded away as many others as I still have. For digital I use an old Canon G15 for my website pics, a Nikon D700 and a Sony A7.

I have been into photography since 1974 and for several years I did the wet plate collodion process as well as built wooden and view cameras for myself and many civil war reenactors and pro and art photographers like Sally Mann, John Coffer, Robert Maxwell and Dale Bernstein. My personal reproduction sliding box wet plate camera was used for a research project at the George Eastman House in NY.

IMG_5420.JPG

I likley have an use more vintage film cameras than many have straight razors LOL. Nikon F and F2 (several of each), Leica m4, M4-P & CL rangefinders and a pair of Leicaflex standards. Minolta SRT-101 and SRT-102, Pentax S1a and SV. For medium format I shoot Pentax 6x7, Mamiya RB67 and Hasselblad 500CM. Probably sold and traded away as many others as I still have. For digital I use an old Canon G15 for my website pics, a Nikon D700 and a Sony A7.

I have been into photography since 1974 and for several years I did the wet plate collodion process as well as built wooden and view cameras for myself and many civil war reenactors and pro and art photographers like Sally Mann, John Coffer, Robert Maxwell and Dale Bernstein. My personal reproduction sliding box wet plate camera was used for a research project at the George Eastman House in NY.

View attachment 1559912
Amazing. I have a m4-p and CL too! Also have an f2 and it’s pretty awesome. I’ve sold a bunch lately and only have a small collection of film cameras now.

Top Bottom