What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

Photographing and posting photos is a big part of the wetshaving hobby for me. I enjoy photographing a lot - just as I enjoy seeing other people's work.

Recently I have been wondering what cameras and gear people use?

I'll start with myself:

I have two cameras; A Sony DSC-H3 and a Canon EOS 20D.

The Sony DSC-H3 is my light travel camera, it is a mid size point-and click 8.1 MP camera with a Carl Zeiss zoom objective. It is a light and compact camera capable of takning decent photos. I usually carry it around in a Samsonite case with an extra battery and memory card.

The Canon EOS 20D (bought used) is a good all-round workhorse D-SLR, being an 8 MP camera it is not impressive, but it is more than enough for my needs. The 20D is the last of Canons D-SLR's to be produced with an ultra sturdy magnesium body, making this camera incredibly tough.
For the 20D I have the following gear:
Canon EF 28-135 mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM objective (bought used). A very good middle-of-the-road all-rounder, capable of doing both decent detail- and distance work and everything in between, it came with the camera, but I would still have picked something like this anyway
Sigma EF-530 DG Standard flash. Cheap and efficient flash, not the most lightweight and streamlined flash on the market, but again; a good all-rounder, like the rest of the package
Canon BG-E2 battery grip (bougt used). I rarely use this as it adds way too much weight to the camera, but it is nice to have for prolonged photoshoots using a tripod
Four batteries (bought used). I have yet to run out of power :001_smile
Lowepro Nova 170 AW bag. Good sturdy bag with room for camera, flash, extra batteries and memory cards. On Lowepro's homepage it is stated that this bag will containg camera w. mounted objective, flash and 1-2 extra objectives. I am still trying to figure out how it would be possible to fit even a single extra objective into this bag though. If in doubt; go a size up!
PacSafe CarrySafe 100 strap. Anti theft strap with build in steel wires. I do a lot of photography in urban environments, this strap makes it impossible for someone to simply cut the strap and run away with the camera
Bresser tripod. Actually bought for my Sony camera, it is bit too light for the Canon, but it works untill I get my hands on a more sturdy one. I rarely use a tripod anyway
Aside from that I have a Sto-Fen Ombi-Bounce for my flash on the way. A must for detail work like SOTD photos.

Regards.

Jakob

The weather here in the north east CONUS finally allowed me to go walking around with my Blackrapid shoulder strap :) I've actually had this for years and had not broken it out yet. I'm sure much improvement has been made since then. This permits the more comfortable carry of heavy gear such as my Canon 28-300mm zoom.

proxy.php

Canon 750D (Upgrading to the 5DS R later this year).

Canon 50mm, 10-18mm, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 100mm macro.

Tamron 150-600mm G2.

It has been a few years since I had the big boys out so, A few weekends ago it was a 1940 something Kodak 2d with a Schneider 300 mm lens. Slows you down and gets you funny looks. It was good to get it out. Took 4 images that day and a *&^% motion sensor light light in the bathroom destroyed them. I had no idea it was there. It was X-ray film so it was cheap.

Other times it is a 1940 something Kodak 2D 5x7, or one of 4 4x5 cameras, then there is the russian medium format camera and soviet era lenses, or the Nikon D7100. No, I don't have a camera fetish.

I use film cameras myself
I find them to be far more versatile in every way to a digital camera.
For 35mm I use
Zenit 122
Helios 44M-6 58mm 1:2
Yashica 75mm - 230mm 1:4.5 zoom
Tamron 200mm - 400mm 1:6.3 zoom
Bower 650mm - 1300mm telephoto zoom

For medium format I use
ARAX 60
ARAX 80mm 1:2.8
Jupiter 36B 250mm 1.3.5

Granted I've been out of photography for a few years now, but I'm not sure how film is more versatile than digital.
I upgraded to digital from film because of it's versatility.

You are out doing some model shots and a pretty butterfly lands as you finish. You don't have to rewind and waste that half of a roll of B&W film to be able to capture the pretty colors of the butterfly.
You don't need to have to worry that you have the wrong film speed loaded when a good shot arises.
You no longer waste an entire roll of film because you bumped something changing your exposure, and the shots are easier to recover. I know you can bump film a bit, but you only know it needs it if you are doing your own developing.
Don't like the grain structure? Too late after the shoot with film. Digital, you just change it.
Availability of film is decreased a LOT.
Used color but think a shot would look better in B&W? Just hit a button with digital.
The model blinked in that great shot? You can see that on the spot and re-shoot with digital.
The list goes on....

I like film, and have seen people do wonderful photos on film. But I really have to strongly disagree with it being more versatile than digital. If it truly was, film would be everywhere and digital would be hard to find.

Anyway, I should at least answer the original question since I took the time to rant.

Canon 40D I know it's a bit dated, but it still does what I need it to.
24-105mm F4L
50mm F2.8
75-300mm F4.5-6
A few filters (polarizing, gradient, and a few levels of ND.)
6 hotshoe flashes and remote triggers so they can be fired from softboxes, beauty dish, snoot, hair lights etc...

well one thing about film vs digital... 1. you cannot go to the local drug store and buy film... 2. not even sure where you can send it for developing. 3. film more versitle than digital? no. not true

I still shoot film, mostly B&W, with a set up Leica M4/M4P/M6 paired with lenses from 21 to 90 mm. The darkroom work during fall/winter is a real joy.

well one thing about film vs digital... 1. you cannot go to the local drug store and buy film... 2. not even sure where you can send it for developing. 3. film more versitle than digital? no. not true

Amazon can have film, as well as the needed chemicals to develop it, to my house in relative moments and I develop it in my kitchen. The results are sometimes spectacular and sometimes ordinary, but always special.

I shoot B&W almost exclusively, but I can still send color film out to be developed easily when I choose to.

I've upgraded a Nikon D7000 to the D500. Several years of battling focus problems solved by one purchase.
Nikon 200-500, 17-55, 80-200, 35 1.8g, 50 1.8d, and Tokina 11-16.

I still shoot film and I also shoot digital. Generally I shoot digital when I am on a volume shoot or just don't have time for film/darkroom work. I enjoy film and the darkroom, but finding the time for it is sometimes a challenge.

Here is what I shoot - cameras and lenses. Too many accessories, bags, etc. to list.
Digital:

Nikon D500 – (all lenses Nikkor except those noted otherwise)
  • 12-24/4.0
  • 24-70/2.8 Tamron G2
  • 80-200/2.8
  • 24/1.8
  • 35/2.0
  • 50/1.4
  • 60/2.8 Macro
  • 85/1.8
  • Lensbaby 2.0
Fuji X-T2
  • 18-55/2.8-4.0
  • 55-200/3.5-4.8
Nikon D200 – works with all the lenses shown with the D500 except the VR on the Tamron does not work on this body.

Nikon D70s – While this will work with the above lenses like the D200 does, it has a dedicated Tamron 28-75/2.8 and is set aside for grandkid training duty.

Film:

Nikon N90s – works with the lenses shown with the D500 except for the Tamron 24-70 & Nikkor 12-24.

Mamiya 645
  • 55/2.8
  • 75/2.8
  • 150/3.5

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Over the years I've gained and discarded a lot of gear. The bulk of my gear is and was Nikon (F4s, F5, N90s, D1x, etc) with a bunch of lenses as well. As shifting interests arose, my gear changed as well. I sold of the F4s' and other 35mm and just kept one, an FM2n. I also got rid of the D1x in favor of a D2xs and parred down the lenses from about 19 to about 10 ranging in focal lengths from 20mm-400mm.

Some about 10 years ago, I got into large format photography (LF), purchasing a Calumet CC-403 and 6 lenses ranging from 90mm-240mm. I still have this camera as well as the lenses and film holders and such. A couple years back, I decided to get a Rittreck 4x5 field camera which is now my main LF camera.

During a trip one Christmas and at about the time when the Nikon D800E came out, I read an article comparing the image quality between it and a medium format (MF) camera. The following January, I picked up my first MF camera and lenses, a Bronica SQ-A. This was a great camera and system until it failed me during a trip to Yosemite. I sold off the working parts of that camera to get a Mamiya RB-67 with 3 lenses and that is now my main MF system. I also have a Mamiya C-330 and a Holga. There is a Zeiss Nettar 518/16 coming in the mail this week as well.

I enjoy photography. I enjoy getting out into nature and relaxing behind the lens. It is a way for me to recenter myself after a long work week. Below is a link to my online gallery.

R/
Dave
David Miller Photography

Over the years I've gained and discarded a lot of gear. The bulk of my gear is and was Nikon (F4s, F5, N90s, D1x, etc) with a bunch of lenses as well. As shifting interests arose, my gear changed as well. I sold of the F4s' and other 35mm and just kept one, an FM2n. I also got rid of the D1x in favor of a D2xs and parred down the lenses from about 19 to about 10 ranging in focal lengths from 20mm-400mm.

Some about 10 years ago, I got into large format photography (LF), purchasing a Calumet CC-403 and 6 lenses ranging from 90mm-240mm. I still have this camera as well as the lenses and film holders and such. A couple years back, I decided to get a Rittreck 4x5 field camera which is now my main LF camera.

During a trip one Christmas and at about the time when the Nikon D800E came out, I read an article comparing the image quality between it and a medium format (MF) camera. The following January, I picked up my first MF camera and lenses, a Bronica SQ-A. This was a great camera and system until it failed me during a trip to Yosemite. I sold off the working parts of that camera to get a Mamiya RB-67 with 3 lenses and that is now my main MF system. I also have a Mamiya C-330 and a Holga. There is a Zeiss Nettar 518/16 coming in the mail this week as well.

I enjoy photography. I enjoy getting out into nature and relaxing behind the lens. It is a way for me to recenter myself after a long work week. Below is a link to my online gallery.

R/
Dave
David Miller Photography
Gorgeous work, I really like the trees especially the one with the moon!

Olympus EM10 MK ll and Olympus 25mm F1.7 most of the time.
Nice, always great to meet another M 4/3 shooter! I use a Panasonic GX85 usually with the the 14-140 f3.5-5.6, love the super zoom range without changing lenses. Been eyeing the Panny 25mm 1.7 though.

Top Bottom