What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

Very cool ColtJustice. I have used Adobe Premiere Elements for years in various version numbers (think I'm at 14 now). It's not horribly expensive and I don't think I paid quite $100 for the version I'm using now. It is considered advanced-amateur/hobbyist level editor but packs powerful editing capability and many native special effects. You're going to enjoy the heck out of this new opportunity.
I just went to Amazon and checked the pricing for Premier Pro Elements. It's only $45.00! So, of course, I bought it. I'll be playing with it a lot soon. Thanks for the tip!

I regret the day I got rid of my Hasselblads (500 & 501c's) and my Canon A1's. I loved the FD platform and I hung on to my negative scanners for as long as I could. But I tried to remain commercially competitive so I broke down and bought into the EF platform and settled on a 1D Mk III. I guess it's cool and it does just about everything one could possibly want. And even though the body is made out of Magnesium and rugged as hell, it's just not the same as the old, dented, paint chipped A-1's I bought new. Plus nothing compares to medium format.

I just went to Amazon and checked the pricing for Premier Pro Elements. It's only $45.00! So, of course, I bought it. I'll be playing with it a lot soon. Thanks for the tip!

Hey that's not bad! I use it constantly, though there may be better products out there, I find it a great balance between cost and feature set.

I regret the day I got rid of my Hasselblads (500 & 501c's) and my Canon A1's. I loved the FD platform and I hung on to my negative scanners for as long as I could. But I tried to remain commercially competitive so I broke down and bought into the EF platform and settled on a 1D Mk III. I guess it's cool and it does just about everything one could possibly want. And even though the body is made out of Magnesium and rugged as hell, it's just not the same as the old, dented, paint chipped A-1's I bought new. Plus nothing compares to medium format.

I hear ya. The Canon A1 was solid performer and I was envious of those who owned one before being able to afford my own.

Mine is a Nikon D7100 with four lenses, the Sigma 10-20 mm/3.5, Sigma 17-50 mm/2.8 OS, Nikon DX 40 mm/2.8 (macro lens) and Nikon 70-300 mm/4.5-5.6 VR.
Got an additional Nikon DX 35 mm/1.8 for low light photography. I had tried that lens before and found it inexpensive, light, yet a very solid performer.

When I want to travel with all (or most) of my equipment, I use a large Tamrac Evolution 8 backpack. For city tours or if I just want to travel light, I use a small Tamrac Expedition 3 backpack that offers just about enough space to take the camera with all three zoom lenses, a spare battery and a couple of additional memory cards.

A Manfrotto tripod 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 460MG head, a Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash unit and a couple of filters, remote controls etc. complete my equipment.
I think I mentioned before that the Manfrotto was replaced with a smaller and much lighter Sirui carbon fibre tripod.

I always shoot RAW and process my images with Lightroom 5.7, the venerable Photoshop CS2, the now free Google Nik Collection, and sometimes Photomatix Pro 4.2 (HDR) and the Microsoft Image Composite Editor (panoramas) need to help out a little.

Lightroom 5.7 was succeeded by Lightroom 6.1, Photoshop CS2 by the somewhat "younger" CS6, both on the basis of a permanent licence, with no subscription plan or my photos in the cloud of cloud cuckoo land. The Google Nik Collection is still there but Photomatix and the Image Composite Editor have been retired since LR6 can do both their tasks beautifully.

Started my photo hobby around 2008-2009 with a Canon EOS450D (European model name) then in time got minimalistic and landed for good onto mirrorless cameras..
Today I still occasionally use the 450D with its excellent 100mm for macro shots, but for the most part I use a Sony NEX-6 with a Sigma 30mm DN prime (or its 60mm sibling).
Over the last few years DSLR's have lost most of their appeal to me, their bulk and weight becoming a hassle as I grow older, especially considering that mirrorless cameras punch well above their weight IMO (quite literally [emoji23] )
Any other mirrorless users around here?

Started my photo hobby around 2008-2009 with a Canon EOS450D (European model name) [...]

In the US, that particular DSLR was marketed as the EOS Rebel XSi.

Any other mirrorless users around here?

I was briefly considering changing from my Nikon DX system to a Fujifilm X-T2 system but after calculating the cost-benefit ratio and seeing how little I'd gain in terms of image quality and how little I'd save in terms of weight and bulk if I was going to purchase an equivalent system with a camera body, three not too slow zoom lenses covering 10 - 200 mm minimum plus a macro lens and a decent flash unit, I discarded the idea.

In the US, that particular DSLR was marketed as the EOS Rebel XSi.

I was briefly considering changing from my Nikon DX system to a Fujifilm X-T2 system but after calculating the cost-benefit ratio and seeing how little I'd gain in terms of image quality and how little I'd save in terms of weight and bulk if I was going to purchase an equivalent system with a camera body, three not too slow zoom lenses covering 10 - 200 mm minimum plus a macro lens and a decent flash unit, I discarded the idea.
Fully understandable, swapping systems (or even mount type) is indeed an expensive game...
Fortunately I've always been partial to primes, so the size/weight ratio could be easily satisfied with little money - relatively speaking.
If I were into zooms, especially fast ones, most of the mirrorless advantages would quickly vanish

harumph.....

Inside, tabletop shots.

proxy.php

I use a Canon 50D with a battery grip and a 580EX flash (with a modifier). My only 2 lenses are a 35mm f2L and a 17-40L f4. The 35mm is really my goto lens for portraits. I have a cheap set of study lights and a remote trigger that get the job done.

I've always preferred longer focal lenses (say >80mm equivalent) for portraits.
I find them gentler to the subject, somehow 'compressing and leveling' facial features.
Any 35mm portraits you may want to share, I'm curious... Thanks

I use a Canon 50D with a battery grip and a 580EX flash (with a modifier). My only 2 lenses are a 35mm f2L and a 17-40L f4. The 35mm is really my goto lens for portraits. I have a cheap set of study lights and a remote trigger that get the job done.

That's an excellent setup. I used both the 50D and 17-40 f4 myself for years and used it for everything from documenting family events to youth sporting events one of my sons participated in.

proxy.php

This is a quick shot of my grandaughter as she raids my DVD cabinet!

LOL, well done sir!

I've always preferred longer focal lenses (say >80mm equivalent) for portraits.
I find them gentler to the subject, somehow 'compressing and leveling' facial features.
Any 35mm portraits you may want to share, I'm curious... Thanks

Could you share with me a portrait taken with >80mm? I'm interested in the difference for portraits.

It'd be ideal to find the same portrait shot at two different focal lengths, but I'm not sure I do have such a thing..
The Canon 100 macro was my favorite also for portraits, when I was still using a DSLR often, nowadays a Sigma 60mm (90mm equivalent, on a Sony NEX) is the longest lens I have. Way too sharp for portraits by the way, ladies complain a lot about it being 'unforgiving', LOL.. Some softening later, excellent results - but I still like it less than the old Canon 100 macro, for portraits.

Top Bottom