What's new

What brush for less than $40

I have this one from Parker and couldn't be more pleased with it. Cost me all of $26 and came with a stand. You could buy it, and the $15 Tweezerman (Harris Teeter carries them in their stores around my area) and have two good brushes for a shade more than the $40 you're prepared to spend for one.

I'm going to dissent slightly, the omega 49 is fine. But, the semogues I have blow it out of the water. So, as far as boars go, get a semogue at vintagescent.com

For badger, get a handle and knot from thegoldennib.com and you'll have a top notch silver tip brush for around $40.

There are also some members here that make custom brushes.

i like my Lijun & 1989. i have an omega pro 49 but find myself using the Ligun 80% of the time. it was cheap, came with a good money back guarantee and looks nice.

I really enjoy my Parker Deluxe Handle Pure Badger... it has untrimmed hair and, by the grade guide in the wiki, it's probably closer to a Best. It also has an extremely heavy handle and includes a stand. It's tough to beat for $32, especially if you have Amazon Prime. RazorBladesAndMore also sell it for $38, which might make it worthwhile to hit the free shipping min if you're ordering blades or other suplies.

I have a Semogue 830. It's my only brush and I love it.

I have an Omega 48 and I like it very much, but I have to admit that I've been liking the looks of that Semogue 830 and at some point I'm going to cave in and buy one.

It's a great price for a nice classic looking brush that must be good. Too many people have spoken too highly of it for it to be less than good.

It'll be easier to get good quality boars at that price, but there are some options for badgers as well.

Omega boars (10029, 10048, 10098, 31064) are models that I have and are great.
Semogue 830 & 2000 and the custom boar are excellent also.

If you're looking at some badgers, and you don't mind smaller knots I'd look at the Simpson Berkeley, Case, and Special would be good. Just a tad over 40 on all of them but go with WCS and use BANDB to drop the price on any of them 10%. The Wee Scot too if you don't mind a tiny brush, but don't let it's looks fool you, it packs a mighty punch for such a small guy!

If you don't mind some work you can find yourself an old shaving brush handle and remove the old knot, and buying a knot from TGN and placing it into the handle. Or keep an eye out for deals on the BST forum. You'll find brushes for great prices there!

Brad,

Do you bowl lather?

If so, it is helpful to have a longer handle that will help you reach into the bowl easier. I think the Rooney 3/1 is tough to beat (no pun intended). With great reluctance I dropped $75 for a super silvertip. I do not regret buying this brush.

George

I really enjoy my Parker Deluxe Handle Pure Badger... it has untrimmed hair and, by the grade guide in the wiki, it's probably closer to a Best. It also has an extremely heavy handle and includes a stand. It's tough to beat for $32, especially if you have Amazon Prime. RazorBladesAndMore also sell it for $38, which might make it worthwhile to hit the free shipping min if you're ordering blades or other suplies.

Have the same and it is an excellent brush. Soft but not a lot of back bone. Part of my rotation with Simpson Colonel, Wee Scott and Omega. Once you begin you can't stop expanding!

Brad,

Do you bowl lather?

If so, it is helpful to have a longer handle that will help you reach into the bowl easier. I think the Rooney 3/1 is tough to beat (no pun intended). With great reluctance I dropped $75 for a super silvertip. I do not regret buying this brush.

George

i'm also leaning towards the Rooney, but a 2/1. a little longer handle.

Have the same and it is an excellent brush. Soft but not a lot of back bone. Part of my rotation with Simpson Colonel, Wee Scott and Omega. Once you begin you can't stop expanding!

Ya, it's not exactly a soap destroyer, but man will it whip up creams. I still go to my Shaving Factory XS for soaps. Choices are good... until you have so many you can't choose... I'm trying to avoid the latter.

Simpson Case in Best (which is prb equal to Silvertip in most brushes) $44..$40 with discount @Westcoastshaving.com
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpsons-Case-1-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush-C1_p_545.html

or

Simpson Special in Best $42..$37.80 with disc @see above
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpson-Special-1-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush-S1_p_556.html

you can get bigger brushes but it will be lower end grade of badger like pure or best..Simpsons best is way nicer than other brand makers best badger like Edwin Jagger. their best is scratchy and stiff. as said above Simpsons best badger is silvertip grade for a lot other brush makers.

you might want to look at the Frank Shaving brushes on ebay. they are getting a lot of praise and they are well below the $40 price range. in fact IIRC you could get a Silvertip and toss in a Finest for that $40 and have two brushes.
http://stores.ebay.com/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop?_rdc=1

Good luck in your endeavor.

Last edited:
So I am a few weeks into this DE thing. I bought an Escali badger off of Amazon for $15 thinking I would try out the brush and soap idea. I told myself if I was hooked I would upgrade my brush.

So what are some nice brushes one could pick up for less than $40.

Brad

Get yourself a Vulvix 404B Badger/boar mix brush. I use it for soaps and it works incredibly well on my Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I'm not sure I'll need another brush after this one.

Looks like i have alot to look at. Any thought on Parker brushes? Alot of good reviews at Amazon and i have a Prime account.

Looks like i have alot to look at. Any thought on Parker brushes? Alot of good reviews at Amazon and i have a Prime account.

You aren't going to find a lot of input on Parker brushes, especially relative to the number of Omega and Semogue users. Have you checked out the reviews?

Top Bottom