What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Now, I'm waiting on a vintage (and rare???), Cuban [Opps...not Cuban] H. Upman cigar glass jar humidor that I got off Etsy! :thumbsup:

A little back ground is provided;

"By 1900, the Cuban Upmann cigar company developed a new method of packaging some of its cigars. They put 25 or 50 of them in a heavy glass jar. The cigar was called the Amatista (Amethyst), a lightly box-pressed, longish Petit Corona, at 40 x 5.7 inches. The jar itself was lined with Spanish cedar and its contents promoted as “factory fresh.” The lid had three large metal clips to secure it tightly.

The Amatistas reportedly had a very smooth wrapper the color of a brown paper bag. The flavor profile was that of “caramel, buttered toast, almonds and earth,” according to a longtime smoker.

The Upmann Amatista jars were very popular in the 1950s and 1960s, but were completely discontinued by 2002. Only 5,000 jars are produced in years that Habanos, S.A., the state-run Cuban cigar entity, made them.

BTW, I'll outfit it with humidification simply by throwing in a couple of Boveda packets and closing the lid. You could also mount your own humidification device under the jar’s lid using distilled water or either silica gel or a super-absorbent flower-foam / polymer".

View attachment 1223281View attachment 1223282View attachment 1223283View attachment 1223284View attachment 1223285View attachment 1223286

Cigaraficiondas:
Correction above in Blue.
And now to add to my collection...I just received a Vintage Pre-Embargo Cuban Upmann Glass Cigar Jar / Humidor!
proxy.php

The warranty seal shows a 1902-1912 date with perforated edge (1931-1961), and nine (9), workman in the field.

Measurements:
Diameter: 6in
Height w/o lid: 6½in

Upman Cigar Jar - 1 (2).jpg
Upman Cigar Jar - 2.jpg

Upman Cigar Jar - 3.jpg
Upman Cigar Jar - 4.jpg
Upman Cigar Jar - 5.jpg
Upman Cigar Jar.jpg

Warranty Seal Info

Warranty Seal - 1931 to 1961

This seal was a modification of the previous seal and had perforated edges (like a stamp), and nine (9), workman in
the field.

Warranty Seal - 1962 to 1999

This seal is similar to the previous seal but without the perforated edges. And clearly visible are the "five (5), workmen in the field [above] [which were] reduced from nine (9), workman".

It was printed with a lighter shade of green ink on a white paper, in 3 known sizes (+/-1mm): 182mm x 62mm & 97mm x 33mm for boxes, and 60mm x 20mm for cardboard packaging. The box seals were glued and the pack seals were self-adhesive.

proxy.php
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Last edited:
Cigaraficiondas:
Correction above in Blue.
And now to add to my collection...I just received a Vintage Pre-Embargo Cuban Upmann Glass Cigar Jar / Humidor!
proxy.php

The warranty seal shows a 1902-1912 date with perforated edge (1931-1961), and nine (9), workman in the field.

Measurements:
Diameter: 6in
Height w/o lid: 6½in

View attachment 1241800View attachment 1241801
View attachment 1241802View attachment 1241803View attachment 1241804View attachment 1241805

Warranty Seal Info

This seal was a modification of the previous seal and had perforated edges (like a stamp), and nine (9), workman in
the field.

This seal is similar to the previous seal but without the perforated edges. And clearly visible are the "five (5), workmen in the field [above] [which were] reduced from nine (9), workman".

It was printed with a lighter shade of green ink on a white paper, in 3 known sizes (+/-1mm): 182mm x 62mm & 97mm x 33mm for boxes, and 60mm x 20mm for cardboard packaging. The box seals were glued and the pack seals were self-adhesive.

proxy.php
"Gentlemen", said the Count…as he entered…"will you return to the [smoking room]? You will find good cigars [in] the center table [humidor]”. "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Great find! I love these old school tobacciana pieces.

Wow can’t believe you found that much! Grats!

I was on one waiting list and they got 2 boxes in. Luckily me and another person were next in line so I got one. Then tobaccopipes emailed and said they had some come in and I grabbed another box from them. I’ve got three pounds now to enjoy so I’m off the market for buying it.

I truly am getting things down to my 5-7 must haves to stockpile and a handful of occasional blends that are only sold in tins like Old Ironsides that I’ll keep 4-5 tins for the occasional smoke. Everything else is not getting replaced.

I want to try Kingfisher. That’s the last holy grail for me to try. Over 15 years now and I’ve even learned I like cobs more than my briars. So I’ll probably bring those down too a smaller number too.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was on one waiting list and they got 2 boxes in. Luckily me and another person were next in line so I got one. Then tobaccopipes emailed and said they had some come in and I grabbed another box from them. I’ve got three pounds now to enjoy so I’m off the market for buying it.

I truly am getting things down to my 5-7 must haves to stockpile and a handful of occasional blends that are only sold in tins like Old Ironsides that I’ll keep 4-5 tins for the occasional smoke. Everything else is not getting replaced.

I want to try Kingfisher. That’s the last holy grail for me to try. Over 15 years now and I’ve even learned I like cobs more than my briars. So I’ll probably bring those down too a smaller number too.

It does feel good to not have that nagging concern that the cellar needs to be filled before impending doom. Nowadays I can afford to be leisurely looking for tobacco, where in the past it was a feverish wide-eyed hunt lol!! Well at least for me it was. Like a starving caveman searching for prey 1 week before winter.

Ordered a 1 oz. bag of the Sutliff Edgeworth RR and 1 oz. of Granger from WVSmokeshop. I'd have used my credit at SP -- but they don't have any Granger except the big $$ tub.

I've had the Sutliff before. You're in for a treat when it gets there.
So I hope. I'm discovering that I'm not wild about latakia, and indeed I am coming to prefer the burley blends like Sir Walter, Carter Hall, Half & Half, Match Field and Stream, and Granger nearly all the time. This new stash of 2 oz. ought to keep me in good supply for a while.

Top Bottom