What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon anymore. I am deeply enjoying the Old Overholt, Evan Williams and Old Grandad 114 my secret Santa got me though. All blends I’ve considered and never got for myself.

With Buffalo Trace, Price is good, full body, very smooth. My local shop can keep it fairly regular. If I can keep that and rotate a new blend, I’ll be a happy camper.

I used to be a scotch guy but I can’t stomach laying a $100 bill on the table for a 750 of a middle of the road scotch.
OGD 114 is amazing at the price point. I'll be picking up and hiding a bottle very soon. Maybe two. There are bourbons twice as expensive that I enjoy but there is little difference between them that the OGD 114. I hope I don't tell too many people about its secret and make it hard to get.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout is an easy drinking bourbon. $40ish a bottle. I can drink it anytime but it was hard to get for a few months. I'm seeing it on shelves again.

Henry McKenna I haven't seen in a year and a half...

Ancient Ancient Age is a young bourbon that BT uses in a lot of its blends. I can't find it ever. Next time I see it I'm buying at least two handles. Its cheap and rough around the edges but at $24 a handle it keeps me content. Unless I hate it after my recent splurging on nicer bourbons.

Some samples of highly rated bulks and one adventurous blind purchase. Have some airtight Mason jars coming as well to provide some better storage (vs ziplock sandwich bags :001_tt2: ).

F9331016-A3C6-422C-A923-D08C95E07E15.jpeg

OGD 114 is amazing at the price point. I'll be picking up and hiding a bottle very soon. Maybe two. There are bourbons twice as expensive that I enjoy but there is little difference between them that the OGD 114. I hope I don't tell too many people about its secret and make it hard to get.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout is an easy drinking bourbon. $40ish a bottle. I can drink it anytime but it was hard to get for a few months. I'm seeing it on shelves again.

Henry McKenna I haven't seen in a year and a half...

Ancient Ancient Age is a young bourbon that BT uses in a lot of its blends. I can't find it ever. Next time I see it I'm buying at least two handles. Its cheap and rough around the edges but at $24 a handle it keeps me content. Unless I hate it after my recent splurging on nicer bourbons.
I remember buying handles of ancient age for about $12-$14. Those were the days.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A mixed bag of individual tins to complete the ageing stash. All a mix of plain Virginias, VaPers, and lightly topped Virginia based blends. There's "classics" in there that I haven't tried yet, like Royal Yacht, Deluxe Navy Rolls, Hyde Park and Erinmore, plus lesser known blends like GH Mahogany, Robert Lewis Orcilla and Wingfield, and Rattray's Sir William. There's also blends that I tried a sample of and wasn't entirely smitten with on first smoke, but will probably by magnificent with some age on, like Cabbies Mixture and St James Flake.

The stash will now be somewhat overstocked, even though it's only stocked one tin "deep", and will now overspill the dedicated drawer, but at least I'll have one tin of everything that's on my "must try" list.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
A mixed bag of individual tins to complete the ageing stash. All a mix of plain Virginias, VaPers, and lightly topped Virginia based blends. There's "classics" in there that I haven't tried yet, like Royal Yacht, Deluxe Navy Rolls, Hyde Park and Erinmore, plus lesser known blends like GH Mahogany, Robert Lewis Orcilla and Wingfield, and Rattray's Sir William. There's also blends that I tried a sample of and wasn't entirely smitten with on first smoke, but will probably by magnificent with some age on, like Cabbies Mixture and St James Flake.

The stash will now be somewhat overstocked, even though it's only stocked one tin "deep", and will now overspill the dedicated drawer, but at least I'll have one tin of everything that's on my "must try" list.
Well done Al!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Never going to be cheaper...

Well, I must concede that if they don't go up this time, they most certainly will before it gets smoked. That said, there's few things in life that are as cheap as they were a decade ago. :) It was a gamble I was prepare to take, in order to get the must try list ticked off. Moving to analogue purchasing, and not being able to buy them all over the counter locally, was the real motivator.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No worries, none of us would ever dare criticize a fellow pipe smoker for purchasing tobacco under any circumstance! Buying tobacco...always a good decision; well mostly always.

Oh absolutely! In case anyone was under any misunderstanding, I was only criticising myself for buying it, and not anybody else! 🤣

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My bobs chocolate flake delivered today. First time for me. This is already a top ten tobacco for me! Full body smoke but so smooth and almost rich in taste. Got it fired up in my Wiebe. Too bad this is hard to find stuff. I understand why though.
I'm glad to hear this. I had been waiting to get some and when it finally came up it was only available in 500g boxes! I jarred it a few days ago...excited to try it once I get home.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My bobs chocolate flake delivered today. First time for me. This is already a top ten tobacco for me! Full body smoke but so smooth and almost rich in taste. Got it fired up in my Wiebe. Too bad this is hard to find stuff. I understand why though.

I got the notification that mine has been delivered but I haven’t had time to walk to the mailbox yet.

@Whisky
@brandaves

I’m excited to see what you two think. If either of you are turned off, PM me, I’ll gladly pay you all you’ve got tied up in it. Most of the time the unobtainable blends are special to me but don’t usually knock my socks off.

This one does. It’s just a “me” tobacco.

Top Bottom