What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

So Ernesto hit cigar of the year per CA last night with “The Pledge” causing a buying frenzy. Should have known it would be at the top this year with La Historica & Encore both hitting #2 in the past. I was not looking forward to spending more $$ on cigars this month, but sadly this news caused a buying frenzy from guys that have never heard of this stick let alone even smoked it. So I did what every red blooded American would do, I bought a 10 pack 😔. It really is a wonderful cigar, is the #1 in the World?... probably not, but if you like a tasty stick that pops you in the mouth, it’s hard to beat at $11

So Ernesto hit cigar of the year per CA last night with “The Pledge” causing a buying frenzy. Should have known it would be at the top this year with La Historica & Encore both hitting #2 in the past. I was not looking forward to spending more $$ on cigars this month, but sadly this news caused a buying frenzy from guys that have never heard of this stick let alone even smoked it. So I did what every red blooded American would do, I bought a 10 pack 😔. It really is a wonderful cigar, is the #1 in the World?... probably not, but if you like a tasty stick that pops you in the mouth, it’s hard to beat at $11
Hate that. So many great bourbons have disappeared off my local shelves because of some blog or magazine naming it no 1 of the year.

Gonna be the Elmo and Cookie Monsters cigars again 🤣

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Hate that. So many great bourbons have disappeared off my local shelves because of some blog or magazine naming it no 1 of the year.

Gonna be the Elmo and Cookie Monsters cigars again 🤣
The struggle is real with bourbon. You'd think it might be easier in Kentucky...not so.

brandaves

Can’t you purchase some of the hard to get stuff right there at the distiller?
No. You would think that but Buffalo Trace for instance almost never sells Blanton's at the distillery. Usually the most "rare" bourbon you can find there is Colonial E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

If you could get Blanton's off the shelf there they'd never be able to keep up with it. Locals would just demolish the supply everyday.

No. You would think that but Buffalo Trace for instance almost never sells Blanton's at the distillery. Usually the most "rare" bourbon you can find there is Colonial E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

If you could get Blanton's off the shelf there they'd never be able to keep up with it. Locals would just demolish the supply everyday.

You mentioned Blanton's. When did that get rare? I went into my local shop and browsing for a few bourbon he asked if I'd like a bottle of Blanton's. That's when he told me how hard it is now to get it. He got a single case in and I just got lucky that day. I hadn't paid much attention to it not being available. Last I thought of Blanton's it was that odd bottle with the bronze horse that was always on the shelf.

You mentioned Blanton's. When did that get rare? I went into my local shop and browsing for a few bourbon he asked if I'd like a bottle of Blanton's. That's when he told me how hard it is now to get it. He got a single case in and I just got lucky that day. I hadn't paid much attention to it not being available. Last I thought of Blanton's it was that odd bottle with the bronze horse that was always on the shelf.
Yeah Blantons on the secondary market is going for about 3X. If that gentleman is selling around $65 I’d say buy as many as he’ll sell you. Even if you don’t enjoy it, you’re gonna make any bourbon drinker in your family really happy next Christmas.

brandaves

The bourbon market has really boomed over the last ten years. Bottles that used to be easy to find are just impossible now. Eagle Rare is a good example. It used to be everywhere for $27 a bottle...now you just can't find the stuff anywhere. I'm glad the future of bourbon is secure but it was sure nice being on the inside when really good bourbon was cheap and obtainable.

As long as I can get regular old Elijah Craig as a daily I'll be alright and rejoice at finding rare stuff when I can. I have some Elijah Craig 12, Rip 10, Elmer T. Lee, Weller Antique 107 x2, Weller 12, Rebel Yell 10, and Stagg Jr. to name a few. I'm doing all right.

Eagle Rare is a good example. It used to be everywhere for $27 a bottle...now you just can't find the stuff anywhere.
Well I’ll count myself fortunate then! My local Target has a pretty steady supply of both Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare! One of my favorite whiskey distillers for sure!

brandaves

Well I’ll count myself fortunate then! My local Target has a pretty steady supply of both Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare! One of my favorite whiskey distillers for sure!
Can still get regular shelf Buffalo Trace...not so Eagle Rare.

Can still get regular shelf Buffalo Trace...not so Eagle Rare.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon anymore. I am deeply enjoying the Old Overholt, Evan Williams and Old Grandad 114 my secret Santa got me though. All blends I’ve considered and never got for myself.

With Buffalo Trace, Price is good, full body, very smooth. My local shop can keep it fairly regular. If I can keep that and rotate a new blend, I’ll be a happy camper.

I used to be a scotch guy but I can’t stomach laying a $100 bill on the table for a 750 of a middle of the road scotch.

Yeah Blantons on the secondary market is going for about 3X. If that gentleman is selling around $65 I’d say buy as many as he’ll sell you. Even if you don’t enjoy it, you’re gonna make any bourbon drinker in your family really happy next Christmas.

You nailed it, it was $65 a bottle.

I’m going to ask about Eagle Rare. Never had that one either.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I used to call Blantons my “payday” bourbon. In the late 90’s it was everywhere for about $45 a bottle. Hell, I used to mix it with coke on occasion. I’ve got one opened bottle and one unopened bottle that I’m keeping in reserve. I no longer mix it with coke.

Top Bottom