What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

A small order from SmokingPipes.

proxy.php

I've some C&D Pegasus, Kramer's Father Dempsey, Sutliff Match 20 and Revelation Match waiting for pickup at the post office. Monday, Monday...
So...I picked up the parcel, everything was as it should be - no packing or shipping problems; typical for smokingpipes.com. I got it all put up in pint, 7mil, zip lock Mylar bags this morning. So far, this bulk storage method is working out for me. I zip the bags and then heat seal them. I put roughly 3 oz in each bag (loose cut - a bit more weight if a flake or cake). 5 bags to a pound with an ounce for immediate smoking stock.
The Pegasus and Match Revelation are new to me. My inaugural bowls yesterday were good. Neither blend will blow you away, but both are very solid burly based blends; OCB+.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I got it all put up in pint, 7mil, zip lock Mylar bags this morning. So far, this bulk storage method is working out for me. I zip the bags and then heat seal them.

I like the sound of that. More than the jarring method actually. Lightproof, lightweight, moderate cost, and no unnecessary bulk. I might have to look into small pouches. Something that takes 1/4 tin would be ideal for me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So...I picked up the parcel, everything was as it should be - no packing or shipping problems; typical for smokingpipes.com. I got it all put up in pint, 7mil, zip lock Mylar bags this morning. So far, this bulk storage method is working out for me. I zip the bags and then heat seal them. I put roughly 3 oz in each bag (loose cut - a bit more weight if a flake or cake). 5 bags to a pound with an ounce for immediate smoking stock.
The Pegasus and Match Revelation are new to me. My inaugural bowls yesterday were good. Neither blend will blow you away, but both are very solid burly based blends; OCB+.
On your next order, you might want to try an ounce of Match Walnut (named after a street not the nut). Somewhat like Revelation but different. Also, Half and Half - just a pouch but I love the stuff. I’m waiting on some Velvet now. Velvet and H & H are still in production - I believe Lane.

On your next order, you might want to try an ounce of Match Walnut (named after a street not the nut). Somewhat like Revelation but different. Also, Half and Half - just a pouch but I love the stuff. I’m waiting on some Velvet now. Velvet and H & H are still in production - I believe Lane.
Half and Half, and Velvet are both blends my Grandfather smoked, amongst several other OTC blends. I may have to give them a try, if for no other reason than nostalgia!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Half and Half, and Velvet are both blends my Grandfather smoked, amongst several other OTC blends. I may have to give them a try, if for no other reason than nostalgia!
Careful. You might get hooked. 😂 My father only smoked H & H. I thought he was so boring with regard to his tobacco but I’m beginning to understand.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Zippo Update!!!!
"
Review: Official Zippo Butane Lighter Insert!!!

The distinct ping of a Zippo lighter opening is music to the ears of many, but for cigar lovers, it’s more of a warning. This is because seasoned cigarians know that old-school Zippos may look cool and inspire nostalgia, but they run on lighter fluid, an odiferous liquid that can taint the taste of a fine, handmade cigar.

Knowing this, the venerable company has released two butane-powered inserts that fit into any existing Zippo case, instantly turning it into a cigar-friendly lighter. While third-party companies have created inserts for Zippos that light cigars just fine, Zippo’s official insert supersedes these options with higher build-quality and better performance.

Some may recall Zippo’s first attempts to crack the cigar market with lighters specifically designed for lighting handmade smokes. In the mid-2000s, the company introduced the Zippo Blu, which worked fine but didn’t sell. After some tinkering, Zippo tried again in 2012 with the Blu2. Despite a new shape that was more similar to the regular Zippo, the sequel also did not meet sales expectations.

1593143263903.png

Simply put, the Zippo inserts are much better at lighting cigars than both versions of the Blu lighter. They’re also considerably less expensive, only $14.95 for the single-flame and $16.95 for the double. More important is the fact that Zippo ditched their iconic flint-wheel in favor of a more modern piezo-ignition system. So while you lose some of the “coolness” factor from the flint’s bright spark, you end up with a lighter that is much more dependable.

We used both the single- and double-flame inserts to light up about 200 cigars, and each and every time the inserts never failed. The 2,300 degree Fahrenheit flame also made lighting a cigar quick, and the precision of the fame made touch-ups easier. Should something happen, the inserts are backed by a two-year warranty.

1593143410582.png

The new Zippo inserts use efficient piezo-ignition systems and are built to seamlessly fit inside your favorite Zippo case.

Works Cited: The new Zippo inserts built to seamlessly fit inside your favorite Zippo case.

proxy.php
"The most tangible of all visible mysteries [is a Zippo]". Leigh Hunt

Very nice write up Count. I haven’t picked up the Zippo insert yet, but I do use the Blazer butane insert quite regularly. I also use a Thunderbird butane insert with a soft flame and flint wheel as well. If/when Zippo decided to make that soft flame flint wheel insert, I’ll jump all over it.
C3AE0088-26A9-415A-8BD3-B9248C0B938F.jpeg
0F750E9E-5BF4-43E3-AF9B-60580F8329C4.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
proxy.php
Zippo Update!!!!
"
Review: Official Zippo Butane Lighter Insert!!!

The distinct ping of a Zippo lighter opening is music to the ears of many, but for cigar lovers, it’s more of a warning. This is because seasoned cigarians know that old-school Zippos may look cool and inspire nostalgia, but they run on lighter fluid, an odiferous liquid that can taint the taste of a fine, handmade cigar.

Knowing this, the venerable company has released two butane-powered inserts that fit into any existing Zippo case, instantly turning it into a cigar-friendly lighter. While third-party companies have created inserts for Zippos that light cigars just fine, Zippo’s official insert supersedes these options with higher build-quality and better performance.

Some may recall Zippo’s first attempts to crack the cigar market with lighters specifically designed for lighting handmade smokes. In the mid-2000s, the company introduced the Zippo Blu, which worked fine but didn’t sell. After some tinkering, Zippo tried again in 2012 with the Blu2. Despite a new shape that was more similar to the regular Zippo, the sequel also did not meet sales expectations.

View attachment 1117886

Simply put, the Zippo inserts are much better at lighting cigars than both versions of the Blu lighter. They’re also considerably less expensive, only $14.95 for the single-flame and $16.95 for the double. More important is the fact that Zippo ditched their iconic flint-wheel in favor of a more modern piezo-ignition system. So while you lose some of the “coolness” factor from the flint’s bright spark, you end up with a lighter that is much more dependable.

We used both the single- and double-flame inserts to light up about 200 cigars, and each and every time the inserts never failed. The 2,300 degree Fahrenheit flame also made lighting a cigar quick, and the precision of the fame made touch-ups easier. Should something happen, the inserts are backed by a two-year warranty.

View attachment 1117887
The new Zippo inserts use efficient piezo-ignition systems and are built to seamlessly fit inside your favorite Zippo case.

Works Cited: The new Zippo inserts built to seamlessly fit inside your favorite Zippo case.

proxy.php
"The most tangible of all visible mysteries [is a Zippo]". Leigh Hunt
The sound is as iconic as racking a round into a Remington 870 or Colt 1911.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Wish they would make a pipe lighter insert. Briar burns at about 1,200 degrees so 2,300 is a no go. I’ll have to stick with lighter fluid I suppose.

Attachments

• 1593230791641.gif
    1593230791641.gif
    142.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks. I’ll order one tonight. I have two Zippos and can convert one. Good seeing 🧞‍♀️
No worries Steve, and you still have 2 more wishes.
Btw, I have the regular Thunderbird soft flame, and one thing I noticed is that it does not work in all of my Zippos. For some reason in some of my Zippos closing the cap does NOT shut off the gas from leaving the insert. I would suggest filling the insert first, load it into your Zippo, close it and put it against your ear. You’ll be able to hear the gas coming out if it’s not working.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
No worries Steve, and you still have 2 more wishes.
Btw, I have the regular Thunderbird soft flame, and one thing I noticed is that it does not work in all of my Zippos. For some reason in some of my Zippos closing the cap does NOT shut off the gas from leaving the insert. I would suggest filling the insert first, load it into your Zippo, close it and put it against your ear. You’ll be able to hear the gas coming out if it’s not working.
Thanks for the heads up I’ll be sure to do that.

Top Bottom