What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is a great looking pipe. Everything I have read about Morta, says, English/Balkins really shine in them. I don't know if it's the morta or the 9mm filter, but Virgina's and VaPers have really been pretty good in my Poker also. Virginia's tend to really heat up on me, and this morta seems to to be able to tell me when I can speed up or need to slow down.
In my experience, this is true- English and Balkans go to another level in morta.

Currently waiting for a bunch of treasures!
My C&D blends order (which is quite a big thing for a german!):
- 2x Black Frigate 2oz
- 2x Burley Flake #4 2oz
- 1x Burley Flake #1 2oz
- 1x Big n BUrley 2oz Bulk
+ a Town Cobbler

as well as my replacement for the faulty Carolina Gent Cob, my first Falcon Pipe and a replacement falcon stem I've shot for 10€ (including shipping) on eBay. The stem must be quite old, anyone knows anything about Flcon and might identify its age?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n20AAOSwGNxbHDej/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JagAAOSw6CJbHDes/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4X8AAOSwi0RbHDe-/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yksAAOSwxllbHDfD/s-l500.jpg

Quite excited for the bunch to arrive! :)

Currently waiting for a bunch of treasures!
My C&D blends order (which is quite a big thing for a german!):
- 2x Black Frigate 2oz
- 2x Burley Flake #4 2oz
- 1x Burley Flake #1 2oz
- 1x Big n BUrley 2oz Bulk
+ a Town Cobbler

as well as my replacement for the faulty Carolina Gent Cob, my first Falcon Pipe and a replacement falcon stem I've shot for 10€ (including shipping) on eBay. The stem must be quite old, anyone knows anything about Flcon and might identify its age?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n20AAOSwGNxbHDej/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JagAAOSw6CJbHDes/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4X8AAOSwi0RbHDe-/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yksAAOSwxllbHDfD/s-l500.jpg

Quite excited for the bunch to arrive! :)
Nice! I am fond of my falcons. I'm not sure of a way to date them but some do have factory codes on the bottom. That one looks pretty standard. It may not be as old as you think. Either way, they are great pipes!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
As promised...here is my Farm Rolled (Cuban), Petit Corona Cigar Review. :thumbsup:

Construction: This Petit Corona (5in x 42), is a un-banded, very well constructed cigar; I’d say almost flawless with its dark (slightly oily), spotless Ecuadorian wrapper; in a few words…a solid feel to the cigar overall.

Background Info: “It’s always fun to discover a hidden gem, especially when it’s so reasonably priced. Our farm-rolled cigars are handmade using the best ingredients from around the world.

First, Cuban tripa (filler tobacco) gives it bite and complexity while Dominican ligero (the rich top-most leaves of the tobacco plant…binder tobacco) forms the smoothness at the heart of this surprisingly sophisticated, mild – medium bodied cigar.

The Ecuadorian triple capa, or wrapper gives it that handsome finish (The aged leather and cedar flavors deserve to be savored right through to the semi-sweet chocolate finish. They’ll age well -- if you can resist smoking them)”!

Pre-Smoke: It has a pre-light aroma that is simply stunning…coming from a ‘bundled’ cigar. The pre-light scent I find unique to this cigar and reminiscent of cocoa and coffee (I paired this cigar with yet again…a mason jar of sugar-cane sweetened iced tea). Yet, as soon as you hold this unlit cigar in your mouth (and maybe ‘twirl it around’), the semi-sweet chocolate character of the wrapper begins to hint at its richness.

Cigar of Day - 19 Jun 18 - 4.JPG

Smoking: The cigar lights up perfectly and produces beautiful firm white ash and creamy smoke. The burn is even and cool enough to support all the flavors from the blended tobacco. So…relax. Grab a drink and muse away.

The draw on this cigar is a not too firm nor too loose. No matter, once lit…the musky, dark, richness and unique flavors takes center stage for the next approximately ninety (90), minutes. Billows of the thick white smoke are delivered right from the start with a burst of spicy/peppery sweetness.

1st Third: The overall flavor is smooth with a distinct Cuban (earthy), tobacco flavor with strength/body notes half-way between mild to medium and a sweet character added that doesn’t compromise the palate. No ‘neutral’ taste here because I suspect the Dominican tobacco gives to its mellowness. Also, this cigar is extremely well balanced throughout with flavors of spice, almonds and coffee beans.

Cigar of Day - 19 Jun 18 - 3.JPG

2nd Third: A faint cedar undertone at the start, but remained silky smooth without a trace of harshness. The strength/body ‘kicked-up a bit’ to mild-medium and the next thing that you'll notice as you smoke this cigar are the fragile hints of cedar, vanilla and coffee bean that rise occasionally from behind the rich body of smoke.

Cigar of Day - 19 Jun 18 - 2.JPG

Last Third: When getting close to the end, the flavors are slightly stronger (medium), and give away a more woody/earthy finish (with no taste of ‘grassiness’).

Ohhh Snap - 1.png
I was somewhat surprised by the medium strength/body at this point (I gave this cigar more rest-time between puffs).

Also, I’m sure you’ll feel compelled to smoke this cigar right down to the nub (as I did), on account of its exceptional smoothness, and this cigar certainly merits it.

Cigar of Day - 19 Jun 18 - 1.JPG
Cigar of Day - 19 Jun 18.JPG

Conclusion: Overall and surprisingly, this cigar is balanced, in harmony with subtle sweet, woody and earthy notes. This is a rich cigar with excellent draw, between mild and medium in strength & body. Again, I suspect the mellow flavor is from the Dominican binder. The cigar burned even all the way to the end. A surprisingly fine made cigar as evidenced to the firm gray ash.

For the money saved on this bundle, this may become my ‘everyday’ cigar, though not as ‘tenured’ and well known as the big-name brands, but like their website said…this cigar is ‘a hidden gem’.
proxy.php

BTW, the interesting blending of Cuban filler, Dominican binder and Ecuadorian wrapper has to my knowledge never been attempted since Pre-Castro days, but in my opinion, I think these cigars would benefit from some more ‘aging’ (in my opinion, as in most bundled cigars), and having said that, I will ‘endeavor’ (if I don’t ‘smoke’em’ first), to give them a well-deserved rest.

proxy.php
"Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavor, and you must always remember never to let the flame go out”! Sir Winston S. Churchill

Last edited:
proxy.php
As promised...here is my Farm Rolled (Cuban), Petit Corona Cigar Review. :thumbsup:

Construction: This Petit Corona (5in x 42), is a un-banded, very well constructed cigar; I’d say almost flawless with its dark (slightly oily), spotless Ecuadorian wrapper; in a few words…a solid feel to the cigar overall.

Background Info: “It’s always fun to discover a hidden gem, especially when it’s so reasonably priced. Our farm-rolled cigars are handmade using the best ingredients from around the world.

First, Cuban tripa (filler tobacco) gives it bite and complexity while Dominican ligero (the rich top-most leaves of the tobacco plant…binder tobacco) forms the smoothness at the heart of this surprisingly sophisticated, mild – medium bodied cigar.

The Ecuadorian triple capa, or wrapper gives it that handsome finish (The aged leather and cedar flavors deserve to be savored right through to the semi-sweet chocolate finish. They’ll age well -- if you can resist smoking them)”!

Pre-Smoke: It has a pre-light aroma that is simply stunning…coming from a ‘bundled’ cigar. The pre-light scent I find unique to this cigar and reminiscent of cocoa and coffee (I paired this cigar with yet again…a mason jar of sugar-cane sweetened iced tea). Yet, as soon as you hold this unlit cigar in your mouth (and maybe ‘twirl it around’), the semi-sweet chocolate character of the wrapper begins to hint at its richness.

View attachment 892105

Smoking: The cigar lights up perfectly and produces beautiful firm white ash and creamy smoke. The burn is even and cool enough to support all the flavors from the blended tobacco. So…relax. Grab a drink and muse away.

The draw on this cigar is a not too firm nor too loose. No matter, once lit…the musky, dark, richness and unique flavors takes center stage for the next approximately ninety (90), minutes. Billows of the thick white smoke are delivered right from the start with a burst of spicy/peppery sweetness.

1st Third: The overall flavor is smooth with a distinct Cuban (earthy), tobacco flavor with strength/body notes half-way between mild to medium and a sweet character added that doesn’t compromise the palate. No ‘neutral’ taste here because I suspect the Dominican tobacco gives to its mellowness. Also, this cigar is extremely well balanced throughout with flavors of spice, almonds and coffee beans.

View attachment 892104

2nd Third: A faint cedar undertone at the start, but remained silky smooth without a trace of harshness. The strength/body ‘kicked-up a bit’ to mild-medium and the next thing that you'll notice as you smoke this cigar are the fragile hints of cedar, vanilla and coffee bean that rise occasionally from behind the rich body of smoke.

View attachment 892103

Last Third: When getting close to the end, the flavors are slightly stronger (medium), and give away a more woody/earthy finish (with no taste of ‘grassiness’).

View attachment 892111 I was somewhat surprised by the medium strength/body at this point (I gave this cigar more rest-time between puffs).

Also, I’m sure you’ll feel compelled to smoke this cigar right down to the nub (as I did), on account of its exceptional smoothness, and this cigar certainly merits it.

View attachment 892102 View attachment 892106

Conclusion: Overall and surprisingly, this cigar is balanced, in harmony with subtle sweet, woody and earthy notes. This is a rich cigar with excellent draw, between mild and medium in strength & body. Again, I suspect the mellow flavor is from the Dominican binder. The cigar burned even all the way to the end. A surprisingly fine made cigar as evidenced to the firm gray ash.

For the money saved on this bundle, this may become my ‘everyday’ cigar, though not as ‘tenured’ and well known as the big-name brands, but like their website said…this cigar is ‘a hidden gem’.
proxy.php

BTW, the interesting blending of Cuban filler, Dominican binder and Ecuadorian wrapper has to my knowledge never been attempted since Pre-Castro days, but in my opinion, I think these cigars would benefit from some more ‘aging’ (in my opinion, as in most bundled cigars), and having said that, I will ‘endeavor’ (if I don’t ‘smoke’em’ first), to give them a well-deserved rest.

proxy.php
"Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavor, and you must always remember never to let the flame go out”! Sir Winston S. Churchill
Sounds delicious!

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mark & Mike:
Thanx for the
Shout-out.jpg
, support and for sharing. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"That's part of the beauty of [all things shaving / B & B / et al.]. You discover that your [interests] are universal…, that you're not…isolated from anyone.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
proxy.php

View attachment 892105

View attachment 892104

View attachment 892103

View attachment 892111 I was somewhat surprised by the medium strength/body at this point (I gave this cigar more rest-time between puffs).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Christopher, I agree with Mark and Mike, great write-up and they sound like excellent smokes!

Great review there, Mr. Christo!

Tomorrow I hope to receive...
- Missouri Meerschaum Patriot and Marcus pipes
- a two-pipe travel case
- Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, Old Dark Fired, and Pure Virginia
- Amphora Virginia
- Sir Walter Raleigh

Everything but the Old Dark Fired are new to me, so I'll have plenty of new things to experience during next week's salmon-fishing adventure. I' m skeptical of the Burley Flake because I tend to associate burley with cigarettes (I detest cigarette smoke), and the SWR has negative connotations from my childhood, but I want to experience it on my terms.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think you will like the Burley Flake. As a former smoker Burley Pipe Tobacco doesn’t remind me much of cigarettes. If anything the ribbon blends like Old Joe Krantz or Haunted Bookshop might be more cigarette like, but even it that case the smoke has flavors I never got in a cig.

I look forward to your opinions on it :).

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php

View attachment 892105

View attachment 892104

View attachment 892103

proxy.php

proxy.php
My Cigar Friends:
proxy.php
After 'marinating' for some time and smoking many of these cigars...there has been one (1), bullet comment that I forgot to add after the conclusion...;

This Cigar best Suited For: In my opinion...Novice & Experienced Smokers.

Cigar.jpg
"Gentlemen, you may smoke." King Edward VII of England

Last edited:
Top Bottom