What's new

what brand of coffee maker do you use?

French Press, Expobar Pulsar, Hario TCA-2, Bodum Santos (non-electric), Aeropress, Melitta pourover (x2), moka pot (gets very little use), and I'm pretty sure that's it.

Coming soon:
Chemex
Eva Solo

And as a response to the naked pull, here's some art in a 6oz. cappuccino for you. Along with some coffee fresh off the roast.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use the Bunn as well. It produces good hot coffee within 2-3 minutes. It starts coming out within 7-8 seconds, since it keeps the water heated in a reservoir before you brew. Works very well!

I don't use a coffee maker because, quite frankly, I don't think they work as well as the old tried and true methods, i.e., French Press, or Chemex, but if I were to get a machine, it would be the Technivorm, because all the others, feature laden though they may be, don't do the job for two simple reasons: they don't raise the water to the correct temperature (most go to 190, and you really need 200-205F,) and they don't have a proper shower head allowing for correct saturation and flow time, and the Technivorm does. By the way, Cook's Illustrated recently tested coffee brewing techniques and the tasting panel actually rated the Technivorm higher than the French Press. I'm not sure but you know de gustibus.... The problem with the Technivorm is that it currently sells for $265 and the manufacturer does not permitted to be discounted at all.
However in the good news department there's a new kid on the block-the Krups-Dahlstrom, selling for $119 and available only at Williams-Sonoma. The manufacturer claims that it raises the water to 205°and has an oversized shower head to ensure proper saturation, extraction and flow time. Haven't tried it yet, not sure that I will, but if anyone on B&B does, please be sure to let the rest of us know.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We went back to a clear glass pot after having coffee overflow many times when there was still coffee in the thermal pot.

French Press, Expobar Pulsar, Hario TCA-2, Bodum Santos (non-electric), Aeropress, Melitta pourover (x2), moka pot (gets very little use), and I'm pretty sure that's it.

Coming soon:
Chemex
Eva Solo

And as a response to the naked pull, here's some art in a 6oz. cappuccino for you. Along with some coffee fresh off the roast.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice rosetta. I shall have to take some sly photos at work to try and match it!

I used to work at a large chemical company that wanted to enter the coffee business, so we started to research what made good coffee. We tested the different shape of coffee baskets to see if we could find a difference. We could not really measure tastes, so we tried to find some other items to measure. We looked at percent solids in the liquid and found that the cone shape baskets made more consistent values of solids and other measures we could do. The flat bottom machines like Mr. Coffee did not have the same consistency of brewing. I could not really tell if the taste was different.

Top Bottom