What's new

what blades

hi guys,waiting on a feather D2 arriving, my question is regarding blades, i dont want to be using a decent safety razor, but using crap rubbish blades🤔, are all blades similar, or are there blades recommended that are much better than others, what blades would you recommend to a newbie to use with a feather D2, thanks in advance guys👍🏼

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-174508.png
    Screenshot_20200915-174508.png
    320.9 KB · Views: 8
That will be a tough question to answer since what works for one person may not work for another. I believe that razor comes with a tuck of feather blades...I would start there. Just know they are the sharpest blades you can get by most accounts. Supposedly they work great in that razor... don’t own one but there are reviews here regarding the combo.

That will be a tough question to answer since what works for one person may not work for another. I believe that razor comes with a tuck of feather blades...I would start there. Just know they are the sharpest blades you can get by most accounts. Supposedly they work great in that razor... don’t own one but there are reviews here regarding the combo.
cheers friend👍🏼... I'll probably just stick to the type of blades that arrive with the item😁

Last edited:
One of my favourite blades is the Dorco Prime and it is under $7US/100 on Amazon. Inexpensive doesn’t always have to mean bad quality.

In the AS-D2, I would start with Feather blades though. Expensive, but not really as they are still pennies a shave unless you bin them after one shave. KAI are also sharp but excellent (similar price as Feathers) and Nacets and GSB’s (1/2 the price of KAI and Feather) work well too IIRC but I haven’t had a Feather razor in a few years.

Feathers are great, except that wear out pretty fast. Personally, my sweet spot for a mild razor is a GSB.

@bluesparkuk, you may be better served looking at sample packs. Two different enough sample packs will give you a tuck of many different blades. Once you have your favorite, stick the rest in the back of the den until the next new razor.

Most importantly, make sure to come back and tell us which one. But tell us with a bunch of pictures!

Feathers are great, except that wear out pretty fast. Personally, my sweet spot for a mild razor is a GSB.

@bluesparkuk, you may be better served looking at sample packs. Two different enough sample packs will give you a tuck of many different blades. Once you have your favorite, stick the rest in the back of the den until the next new razor.

Most importantly, make sure to come back and tell us which one. But tell us with a bunch of pictures!
will do, the blades it arrives with maybe last a while, but will update eventually 👍🏼😁

Gillette 7 o'clock greens are always what I recommend to new guys as they're consistently smooth no matter the razor I put them in. Superb blades all around. Yellows are terrific, too, but less newbie friendly. So if I have to declare a single recommended blade, then greens are it. Although a sample pack is what you really should do...just make sure they have greens.

I find feathers to be immensely overrated. The only thing they have going for them, in my opinion, is sharpness, but because they dull so fast this single advantage is rapidly nullified.

From my understanding, that is a milder razor that is most ideal with its own wicked sharp counterpart, the Feather blade. If you bought it new it should come with a few in the package.

Feather (Japanese
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Kia (Japanese)
Wizamet Super Iridium (same as the Polsilver SI)

Are the most popular blades for the Feather AS-D2 razor as YMMV

The Feather razor is fairly mild so far a razor aggressiveness goes. The Feather blades are very sharp, some might even say too sharp. In an aggressive razor, Feather blades might be too aggressive, but in a mild razor, they are manageable.

There are two problems with Feather blades. One is that they are more expensive than most blades. The second issue is that the sharp edge tends to deteriorate quickly, especially if your beard is coarse. This can produce a harsh shave if your skin is sensitive. My beard is coarse and my skin is sensitive, so I can only get two good shaves from them whereas most blades last me four shaves.

I suggest that you purchase a blade sampler pack with at least a dozen tucks of blades. Some people sell sample packs with only 1-2 blades of each brand. Sometimes 1-2 blades is enough to tell that a blade does not work for you, but it will take a few blades to tell if you really like a blade in your razor. Plus, if you later get another razor, you will need to go through the blade evaluation process again as specific razors tend to pair best with a specific type of blade.

If you like the sharpness of the Feather blade in the Feather razor, some alternative blades you might try are BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black, Nacets, Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds), and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301. These are all very sharp blades.

If your beard is not thiick or coarse, you might not need these blades quite this sharp. Everyone is different, so you need to find out what works best for you.

Blades make a huge difference for me. Your best bet may be to purchase a blade sampler or two.

My experience is that the AS/D2 (very mild) is great with Feather blades. Other sharp blades that I would try: Kai, GSB, Nacet and Balzano. Enjoy!!

:a29:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A sampler pack is the only way to find out what works for you and what you prefer.

That said, many experienced wet shavers (me included) believe that mild razors work very well with extremely sharp blades. My favourite are the Gillette Silver Blue and the Gillet Nacet.

I think the usual suspects have already been identified. Start with Feather, but also try other blades on the sharper side, such as Nacet, GSB, BIC Chrome, etc.

Top Bottom