What's new

What blades for GEM razor

I have never used a single edged razor before, and I now own a GEM SE razor just out of luck. I have no clue what blades this razor uses, or what is readily available and/or popular to use. The only SE blades I was aware of are the feather artist style blades, but I'm assuming those don't work in this razor?

Justin I believe the only blades that will work in that Gem will have an aluminum rib covering one edge of the blade. You can buy them off of Amazon or maybe the bay. Also some drugstores stock them. They will be branded Treet or Gem and they are stainless or carbon steel. My local CVS has them in stock. Others will give you more info. Congrats on the great razor!!!!

Gem blades, of course! B&B vendor Tryablade sells them. I would recommend the Gem Stainless or PTFE, as the carbon steel ones are the most traditional but they are likely to rust quickly. My last shipment from Tryablade included a referral card for bulk purchases. Surprisingly, some drugstores sell SE blades. SE has a wide availability considering that SE razors went out of production so long ago.

Gem blades, of course! B&B vendor Tryablade sells them. I would recommend the Gem Stainless or PTFE, as the carbon steel ones are the most traditional but they are likely to rust quickly. My last shipment from Tryablade included a referral card for bulk purchases. Surprisingly, some drugstores sell SE blades. SE has a wide availability considering that SE razors went out of production so long ago.

+1. The PTFE blades are my favorite SE blade.

whatever blade you decide on{i like the gem ss from cvs}make sure you dont get the hardware version.there is a major difference in shaving and scraper blades.

Thanks for all the info. Tryablade sells 4 different types of GEM blades, are all those different from the GEM Blue Star blades?

Also I know DE blades last most ppl 2-4 shaves, how long does a GEM SE last?

Last edited:
GEM blades will all last the same. If you want to buy in bulk, go to Tedpella.com. It's a lab supply company that sells SE blades in bulk.

Thanks for all the info. Tryablade sells 4 different types of GEM blades, are all those different from the GEM Blue Star blades?

Also I know DE blades last most ppl 2-4 shaves, how long does a GEM SE last?

All of the SE blades are made by Personna, but only two of them are stainless steel. One of those is just stainless, and the other is coated with PTFE (a generic for Teflon). I prefer the PTFE-coated stainless blades. The other single edged blades are carbon steel and will rust between shaves if you don't dry the blade after the shave. Some gents even keep them in mineral oil or alcohol to retard the rust. That's too much trouble for me.

My blades last about 8 to 10 shaves, depending on the razor and how many days between shaves.

The PTFE-coated can also be found at Connaught shaving. That's where I got them. I haven't used any others, but have been on the same blade in my GEM 1912 for over 10 shaves, and they are the best shaves I've ever gotten. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom