What's new

What blade to try next, if my previous ones were...

I've ordered blades from RBC. It's a great site for sampling blades (5 packs). However, since covid, my order last year took over a month to make it to the USA. If 7'oclock yellow isn't doing the job, have you tried Feathers? My son-in-law has only ever used Feather blades and won't use anything else.

As for me, both yellow and feather are too sharp for my old mug. I needed a sharp, but forgiving blade. Astra and SP were fine when I shaved every other day, but shaving less frequently, I needed a sharper, forgiving blade. I settled on Gillette Platinums. That's where blades really get really confusing, as there has to be 3-4 variations, Platinum laser, ink, new and a Bullgoose version in a dark blue box which I prefer. I've tried most, including GSB, but prefer the Bullgoose blades. I can't link to that one, because the site is closed until next year.

Hi Njpaddy,

fortunately RBC delivers from within germany. Last order took five days or so. I try to stay away from blades, which come in plastic boxes since avoiding plastic was one reason to move away from system blades for me. And Feathers are much to pricey for me. Gillette Platinum are more than twice as expensive as for example Rapira Swedish Super Steel. It's ok, if they are twice as good or as good but two times longer. I took a look at RBCs "version of Gillette Platinum"...so may be I am wrong. To what site do you refer to?

Is the box of the version of the Gillette Platinum you mentioned completly blue except for the white writing (the blue is slightly lighter) or is the box partly blue with a white field with blue writing - this time the blue is a little darker). I refer to versions of blades available at RBC...

Hi ChrisPL68,

...no?... is this ...a blade? ;)
...only kidding...I never heard of that blade and it is not part of my Sampler Pack.

At Razorbladesclub, may be ?
I recently purchased 100 from Amazon. These are smooth, sharp and cheep. I like them better than Astra SPs and Gillette green perma-sharps.

If it wasn't for your dislike of plastic tucks of blades I would suggest the Dorco Prime Platinum blades, far better than most of their other offerings or the Derby Premium blades which outshines all their other blades by a mile.

When I finish a plastic tuck, putting used blades in the bottom, I throw them in the recycle bin. Rinse blade when I'm done with it, put it in the tuck, recycle bin when new blades are gone.

If it wasn't for your dislike of plastic tucks of blades I would suggest the Dorco Prime Platinum blades, far better than most of their other offerings or the Derby Premium blades which outshines all their other blades by a mile.
Thanks for tip! I should make a graph showing the amount of blades/day of two sources: B&B gents giving me infos what blade to test next and me testing blades. :);)
(by no means meant as hidden critic or such a bad thing - I am very happy to be here and to get tips like this!)

When I finish a plastic tuck, putting used blades in the bottom, I throw them in the recycle bin. Rinse blade when I'm done with it, put it in the tuck, recycle bin when new blades are gone.
I try to avoid recycling plastic by not using it.
Creating no waste is better than recycling waste.
I put done blades into a empty glas (those with a metal lid and are used to sell marmalade/jam for example).
In the lid I cut a slot beforehand.
If filled the whole thing goes to the recycling - everyone can see, what's in there and handle it with care and is able to put
the blades to the metal waste at the sorting station.

I try to avoid recycling plastic by not using it.
Creating no waste is better than recycling waste.
I put done blades into a empty glas (those with a metal lid and are used to sell marmalade/jam for example).
In the lid I cut a slot beforehand.
If filled the whole thing goes to the recycling - everyone can see, what's in there and handle it with care and is able to put
the blades to the metal waste at the sorting station.
Nice idea. Sorry, but my favorite blade only comes in plastics tucks. Not going to only buy blades that come in card board tucks. As much as I would Iike to be as green as everyone else that cares about plastic in landfills, the packaging problem should start with the manufacturer of any product in plastic. EVERYTHING is in plastic today. Milk used to come in cardboard cartons-what happened to that? A lot of shave creams I like come in plastic tubes. So now what? Freakin' water comes in plastic bottles! Try to recycle as much as I can-in fact, my recycle can that gets picked up weekly, has more stuff in it, than my garbage can. Sorry to get on my soapbox...

I ordered a sample pack and simply did not use/test blades which comes in plastic tucks.
As long as these blades in plastic tucks are bought, the manufacturers will make money with them. What cannot be sold will vanish from the market. The power of the consumer is vastly underestimated.
And there are a lot of other blades in paper boxes - my impression is, that most blades come in cardboard boxes today.
I doubt, that one will not find a blade, which fit his needs and comes in a cardboard box.
Positive side effect: I pay for less stuff, which do not add to the wanted performance.
The differences between blade performance is too marginal for me, as I would insist of using a blade in a plastic tuck.
I have already difficulties to decide between similar performing blades in cardboard tucks, which to choose for "The one blade"
from which I will buy 100-pack.
I will not additionally confuse myself by adding blades in plastic tucks. ;)

Voskhod are cheap, easy enough to acquire and do not come in plastic tucks. They are also my favorite blade.
I have tried to use Vokshod, but way too hard on my face. I have yet to "cork" a blade to see if it makes a difference. I have 6 Vokshod blades in my blade tin, have to try it. My fave blade is Wilkinson Sword from Germany. Local store here carries them, $1.19 a tuck...

5 blades in these..pretty good value-.20 a blade. 5 good shaves for me per blade.
Have a nice shave! This pack is really a pretty good value! (sounds like I had screwed up the grammar...sorry no native speaker)

Currently I am torn apart between the Gillette Platinum (in complete blue package with white text) and the Rapira Swedish Super Steel.
I had started with the Astras - it was a good and smooth start! :)

I like the Gillette Platinums, never tried Rapira, or Astras. Tried Parker Platinums, and was pleasantly surprised. Just as good as the Wilkinson Swords I like. Might buy 100 some time..can be had for a reasonable price. I have a Parker 91R razor, which is my daily driver...

Top Bottom