What's new

What blade to try next, if my previous ones were...

Hi,

I am already a well experience.....newbie. Read as: I know already, how to get blood out of the skin, get a near perfect emulation of a sunburn and so on... :)
Currently I am using a Mühle R89. When I will have found "the one blade to rule them all" I will repeat my journey with a Gillette Tech.

The ASTRA Super Platinum was the first blade I tried and was surprised, how smooth "the whole thing shaving" went.
The next was the Gillette Nacet...at that point in time/experience not my cup of blade.
Then both of the Sharks...
The next "better than the ASP" was the 7'oclock yellow followed by the 7'oclock green (Super Stainless, India), which were even better.
And now I am "convinced" of the Rapira Swedish Super Steel...as long there is no "better" blade. ;)
I will not test blades, which comes in plastic cases...one reason for changing to DE razors was to avoid plasticy waste.
I shortly tried TREET SAtainless (black beauty)....but no, doesn't work for me.

With your experience in mind: Is there any characteristic shown up in my choice of blades, which my give a hint, what blade to try next?

Is there any blade (not "middle of the road" ones too, if they are available in germany for example via www.razorbladesclub or similiar (which ones?
I currently only know of RBC and Amazon. EBay is a no-go for me.), which follows and emphasizes this characteristic even more?

We use different razors but your blade preferences are not that far from my own... I can suggest either the Gillette Platinum or the Rapira Platinum Lux.

Oh yeah! Thanks for your input. :) First I will try those, which I already have in my sampler pack, next RBC will get an order ... :)

Welcome aboard!

For what it is worth, my top tier in no particular order:
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
GSB
Nacet (not your favorite I understand, but your opinion may change)
Astra SP (which I prefer to the SS)
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)

Enjoy the journey!! :a29:

Hi BigJ,

thank you for your kind words! :)

my choice of blades is partly limited, to what I have to pay for the blades here in germany
While the ASPs are very affordable as the Rapira Swedish Super Steel (7,50EUR/100) and
SuperMax Super Stainless (9,99 EUR/100), the Personna labs cost 31,99 EUR/100 and the
Personna med prep are 24,95 EUR/100. This is quite an increase in cost/blade.

Currently I only know of Amazon.de and RBC as sellers, though.

What is "GSB" the abbreviation for? "Generally soft bended"? ;) ...or "Gillette Smooth Blade"? :)

At the moment Rapira Swedish Super Steel and SuperMax Super Stainless are tested and
they do perform quite identical (currently I like both...but I don't know yet, how many shaves I
will get...)
What impress me are the values at refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary:
The Rapiras have a sharpness rating of 47 while the rentention of the blade is 1.02. That
quite a consistent sharpness. The sharpness is not on the level of the Feather blades but
same is true for my experience of handling such a "beast" likek the Feathers :) ...
And: The Feathers are quite expensive...

Willkommen.

GSB = Gillette Silver Blue, a sharp but comfortable blade
The Gillette Platinum is very similar and a few cents cheaper.
I like the Rapira Swedish quite a bit actually.
When I had an 89, I liked the Wizemat. It's less sharp but more comfortable than the GSB. Give it a try.
And the Astra may not be the very best, but it comes damn close.

Ah! Ok! Thanks for the demystification of "GSB" ! :)
I had in interesting result:
When shaving with the Rapira Swedish Super Steel and the Supermax Super Stainless the final result
right after the shave is quite identical.
BUT: The shave done with the Rapira last longer...
That result doesn't fit in my current definition and understanding of "reality"...
But who cares ? ;)

To be honest you'll be hard pressed to find anything smoother than the Astra SP and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Those are my favourite blades in agressive razors. The Astras are usually extraordinaralily good value, so I'd cheerfully buy 100 when I've used up my current stock of blades.

I like Feather or BIC Chrome blades in mild razors, specifically my Feather AS-D2. In more agressive razors they feel a bit scratchy.

The R89 doesn't suit me at all. It clogs easily and I don't find it particularly efficient, so I don't think any blade would give me a good shave.

I would say get the feather as that’s my go to blade especially during travel as it has the blade bank but… “I will not test blades, which comes in plastic cases...one reason for changing to DE razors was to avoid plasticy waste.@

To be honest you'll be hard pressed to find anything smoother than the Astra SP and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Those are my favourite blades in agressive razors. The Astras are usually extraordinaralily good value, so I'd cheerfully buy 100 when I've used up my current stock of blades.

I like Feather or BIC Chrome blades in mild razors, specifically my Feather AS-D2. In more agressive razors they feel a bit scratchy.

The R89 doesn't suit me at all. It clogs easily and I don't find it particularly efficient, so I don't think any blade would give me a good shave.
Hi Jack,
what razor/blade-combination do you use most often in daily life?

I would say get the feather as that’s my go to blade especially during travel as it has the blade bank but… “I will not test blades, which comes in plastic cases...one reason for changing to DE razors was to avoid plasticy waste.@
I am currently avoiding Feahters for two reasons: Too price (for me) and - as you already mentioned - a plastic case, which is avoidable and does not add to the blades performance.

Hi Jack,
what razor/blade-combination do you use most often in daily life?
Lately I use a Feather AS-D2 with a BIC blade and then finish up with an Ikon B1 Standard with an Astra SP blade, to remove the stubble that the Feather can't get. The Feather has a DS Cosmetic THT titanium handle, the Ikon has a matching black Parker 26C handle. There are other razors and blades that I really like (Wunderbar, R41) but those seem to work well for me.

When I will have found "the one blade to rule them all" I will try that blade in the Gillette Tech, which I got from Multum in parvo (THANK YOU! :) ).
Currently I am using my Muehle R89 with a chromed ZAMAK handle and head. I am very curious, whether there will be differences and how they are.
If the found blade will not work in the Gillette Tech, I will restart the yourney through my forrest of blades.

"The DE razor is a razor of a Gentleman. Not as clumsy or random as anything else; an elegant razor for a more civilized age." - Blade Wars

Hi ChrisPL68,

...no?... is this ...a blade? ;)
...only kidding...I never heard of that blade and it is not part of my Sampler Pack.

At Razorbladesclub, may be ?

Top Bottom