What's new

What Blade Next?

Looking for some comments:

I'm on the last of the Derby Extras that came with the EJde89l that I purchased in December. I am now the proud owner of 7 sampler packages of 5 blades each I purchased a few weeks ago.

I did do a search and found a discussion thread in which basically most said "pick alphabetically, toss in air and in that order and other suggestions etc!"

I have spent the last 7 weeks making sure of my shaving technique due to some earlier problems, knowing my beard patterns along with understanding & practicing how to get good lather with the soaps & creams I have on hand. Finally learning the razor and while the Derby's were fine but they were my 1st set of DE blades.

The beard growth & coarseness surprised me as having reduced my beard of 30 years to a goatee & mustache it is far, far more coarse than I realized. So I basically shave every other day with occasional 3rd day off to let any serious irritation calm down.

I realize that for each person using DE blades it is a unique learning experience & YMMV and will of course be my own learning experience. I find I do enjoy reading what BB folks think about different products & I always learn from their comments.

The 7 are in alphabetical order:

Bolzano, Feather, Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum Black DE, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Dark Blue DE, Nacent Platinum, Red Personna Red Israeli, Shark.

Gene

Coming from Derby, I'd say give the 7 O'Clock Blues a shot. They're sharp for sure, but a bit more forgiving than the Feathers or the IPs. I'm not too fond of Sharks myself, but YMMV. Never tried 7 O'Clock Blacks, Nacent Platinums or Bolzanos, so I can't help you there. Good luck!

Coming from Derby, I'd say give the 7 O'Clock Blues a shot. They're sharp for sure, but a bit more forgiving than the Feathers or the IPs. I'm not too fond of Sharks myself, but YMMV. Never tried 7 O'Clock Blacks, Nacent Platinums or Bolzanos, so I can't help you there. Good luck!

Francis - thanks and since you were the only reply, I used the Gillette Blues for this morning's shave!

It was a superb shave and I could already see was better than the Derby with a DFS right out of the shoot! The WTG & ATG were very smooth and the 3rd pass was some minor spot cleanups.

This combined with using my OG AS that came yesterday has me with a big smile today :biggrin1:

So I'll use this packet of Dark Blues for a number of shaves before moving on to another blade.

The only odd thing I noticed was several small circles / dots of what looked like melted wax plastic along the middle line of the razor when I took it out of the wrapper. It disappeared by end of the shave?

Gene

Last edited:
Personally not a fan of the Derby....too much pulling for my beard. The Blues are nice, but the Gillette Black is even better. The Personna Reds are one of my favorite blades

Personna Reds are my current go-to blade though I still have a few Personna Meds that are pretty terrific as well.

Glad you liked the Blues, St. Petersburg still cranks out some top of the line blades. And don't worry about those spots on the blade, they're just glue. As long as it's not spilling over onto the cutting edge you're good to go.

Top Bottom