What's new

What blade is this?

I have been shaving with Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge blades and liking them very much. This morning, out of a sense of adventure, I grabbed a pack of another blade manufacturer from my original sampler kit and tried it. The shave was terrible. The thing shaved like one of my Gillette 7 O'Clocks just when I'm getting ready to change it. I'm curious to know what mystery blade this is since the outside packaging has been removed. It is in a white plastic dispenser. Blue paper at the window with white pring says "Made in Israel." Each blade is wrapped in white paper with blue print saying "super Platinum". Are they Crystals? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be curious to know.

Sounds like a Gillette Platinum.

I have Crystals in a red/black packaging. The Gillette usually have the plastic dispenser (which is very nice to have).

proxy.php

I see these overpriced in local pharmacies (about $8 for 5) and figure they're no good since most pharmacies carry only these.

If they don't say Gillette on the dispenser, they could be Crystals like in this photo (the blue pack):

proxy.php

Last edited:
It looks like your cartridge of Crystals at the bottom. Thanks. You were very helpful. Now I know what they are, I can throw them out. In the future I won't stray from my Gillette 7 O'clock sharp edge blades. Might as well stick with a winner.

The "Crystals" or Isreali Platinums are actually very popular. Don't toss them, instead trade your remainders for some blade you haven't yet tried, or hold on to 'em and try 'em again in a few months. When I was a noob I thought Derby's were the worst blade ever... 6 mos later they gave me great shaves. I changed my perspective after I had more experience.

I started DE shaving in January of this year and have been successfully whacking whiskers with my new Edwin Jagger imitation ivory handled razor since then. . . so I don't really feel like a newby anymore. Maybe I am, but I don't feel like one. I get no cuts, or rashes or any problems. My Crystals, and Derby's and Red pack Personas felt dull to me when I first tried them . . And, per my experiment the other day, the Crystals still feel very dull. I see a lot of positive comments on this forum about the Crystals, Derbys and Red Pack Personas, and I am bewildered by them. . . To me those blades have been and continue to be very dull. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge is the only blade that shaves well for me . . smooth and effective. I may try a Feather if I'm going to do any further experimenting.

I didn't really mean to imply that you were a noob... sorry about that. All I meant was that your perspective can change over time so it's good to revisit a product.

I started DE shaving in January of this year and have been successfully whacking whiskers with my new Edwin Jagger imitation ivory handled razor since then. . . so I don't really feel like a newby anymore. Maybe I am, but I don't feel like one. I get no cuts, or rashes or any problems. My Crystals, and Derby's and Red pack Personas felt dull to me when I first tried them . . And, per my experiment the other day, the Crystals still feel very dull. I see a lot of positive comments on this forum about the Crystals, Derbys and Red Pack Personas, and I am bewildered by them. . . To me those blades have been and continue to be very dull. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge is the only blade that shaves well for me . . smooth and effective. I may try a Feather if I'm going to do any further experimenting.

Have you tried the Green Pack 7 o'clocks (Russian) or the Kais? I think they are both sharper and both superior to the yellows. Plus the Kai blades don't have any of that annoying glue. (The Russian 7 o'clocks have the glue spots just like the yellows.)

W0w! I must have been out of touch with B&B for a few months because I just noticed the special sub-forum on razor Blades. I should have posted this there. Kingfisher, I appreciate your recommendations of Kais and Green pack 7 O'clocks. I am looking for a backup to my favorite Yellow pack Gillette 7o'clocks, just in case they stop making them . . . just like they stopped making the Swedish Gillettes. I'm going to want a back-up blade. When I was more active in this forum, everyone used West Coast Shaving for their sample packs. Now I notice a new name . . dridiot. Any reason for this change?

Top Bottom