What's new

What blade do you occasionally use that when you do, you wonder why don’t I use this blade more often?

Lord Platinum was one of these, now in my rotation.
Gillette Permasharp Indian Green, I hoarded hundreds of them, then forgot them. Just revisited them a weeks ago, so I remembered why I bought a lot of it.
Gillette Permasharp Russian
Supermax Super Platinum, I hoarded 200 of them. Great blades that are no more made. I can't imagine why Supermax stopped make what was its better blade by a far margin.
BIC, maybe more than other blades has a strong double personality, may be awful if paired with wrong razor and delightful if paired with right one.

Personna Med Preps. I have so many other blades that are easier on my skin, but when I load one of these I never fail to be impressed. The only reason I don't use them more is I have to adjust my pass strategy due to the sharpness, but I am finding that the slightly narrower width helps offset that. I only have about a half dozen kicking around at a time, I order a few more here and there.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Doesn't apply to me, I don't think. I have my favourites, but intersperse them with my "lesser" blades, both for variety, and to eat into the stockpile. Every third blade or so, tends to be one of the brands I like best, although the others are decent enough.

Personna Lab Blue, do we still call them that? It's just a great all round blade. Plus it's waxless for added bonus points.
Same here. These are the ones Blackland includes with their razors, right? I only have a few blades lying around in Blackland razor boxes and they are always stunning when I use them - a really crisp and efficient blade, with a feel that I like. I do use Personna Platinums regularly, but I think I like these Lab Blues even more.

I just ran into this last week. Pulled out a blue box Gillette Platinum tuck to compare against the white box GP and was really wowed by the blue box blade. Been using it in other razors this week to see how they work. So far they work well in my Windsor, Yates, Overlander, and Blackbird. I’ve had a 100 of these blades for a couple of years and just haven’t used them for some reason.

Still yet to try them in my Henson and Lupo 95.

Plan to use this blade more often for sure.

The one that always surprises me is the Astra SP. I primarily use Feather & Nacet, but on occasion I'll use others, one of which is the Astra SP. Nice blade!
I must have purchased a bad batch of Astra SPs because that is the one blade guaranteed to cause me irritation. I have tried them several times over the last two years and they always feel rough to my skin. As always YMMV is the rule when it comes to razor blades.

Me also, too, +1. When my stash of PolSilver SI blades run out I think I'm going to use Labs and Med Preps. Great blades.
You should give the Wizamet Super Iridium’s a try. Several forum members have asked Wizashave for a sample blade and were sent a tuck for free. What do you have to lose? By the way Wizamet blades come in a tuck of 10.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You should give the Wizamet Super Iridium’s a try. Several forum members have asked Wizashave for a sample blade and were sent a tuck for free. What do you have to lose? By the way Wizamet blades come in a tuck of 10.
My understanding was that the Wizamets were rebranded PolSilvers, but maybe that's incorrect. I still have about 600 PolSilver SI blades left.

My understanding was that the Wizamets were rebranded PolSilvers, but maybe that's incorrect. I still have about 600 PolSilver SI blades left.
The blades are slightly different. I had 500 Polsilver Super Iridium blades but I sold 400 of them because I found that I liked the Wizamet blades slightly better. The Wizamet just feels smoother to me and seems keep it's sharpness a little longer. YMMV. I did a comparison under a 200x USB microscope. You can see the results here Eye Test

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The blades are slightly different. I had 500 Polsilver Super Iridium blades but I sold 400 of them because I found that I liked the Wizamet blades slightly better. The Wizamet just feels smoother to me and seems keep it's sharpness a little longer. YMMV. I did a comparison under a 200x USB microscope. You can see the results here Eye Test
Thanks, I just ordered a sample of the blades.

Same here. These are the ones Blackland includes with their razors, right? I only have a few blades lying around in Blackland razor boxes and they are always stunning when I use them - a really crisp and efficient blade, with a feel that I like. I do use Personna Platinums regularly, but I think I like these Lab Blues even more.
Exactly the same for me. In fact, just last night I found a 5-pack that came with my Era and the shave blew me away. Looking for a good price on 100 pack now!

Top Bottom