What's new

What blade do I want

Edit... Mods please move to Safety Razor Blades forum, thanks.

I've been through several blades over the past few years and kinda lost track of favorites. The only one I remember not liking was Wilkinsons that felt like they pulled rather than cut hair.

Below is a list of what has come and gone. I'm hoping for recommendations on a "one blade" to rule them all.

• Astra SP - Great in my Rockwell 6S, good in my Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 2, not a fan in my Blackland Tradere.
  • Polsilver Iridium - I remember that these were OK, but were replaced with...
  • Personna Platinum/Reds - This was my long time favorite until I ran out of a 200 pack. Not sure if these are the same as...
  • Personna Lab Blue - currently my favorite in my Blackland Tradere (not surprising that this is the blade Blackland includes with the razor).

I can recommend Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black), Bolzano, and Nacet for top tier sharp and smooth performance. The next tier down I have found Lord Platinum, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, and Astra Super Stainless (blue box) to be great performers as well.

As already mentioned, sometimes you just have to match the blade to the razor. The blades I mention above work well in all my razors, which is a nice bonus.

If you like the Personna Lab Blues (or Lab Whites as the packaging has changed), then I'd just get more of those. They are great blades, well priced, and made in USA.

Some others that I find equally good: Polsilvers/Wizamets, Perma-sharps, and Gillette Silver Blues.

You could also give a Japanese blade a shot - they have a long tradition of excelling in sharp edges; I prefer Kai over Feathers, simply for smoothness and longevity, but YMMV.

I'd think about Personna Med Prep (made in USA). Very similar to Lab Blues, but I enjoy them more, they perform well in most of my razors and last longer than average. They are on the expensive side, but I got them on sale at around $25 per hundred with free shipping.

I’d recommend putting together a list of 6-8 blades to try and order a tuck of each. You’re bound to find something you like.

Just make sure that Gillette Platinum is on that list. For me it matches any blade out there for sharp, smooth performance.

Agree with all choices above, but, add Wilkinson Sword from Germany to that list for your sample pack. Sharp, smooth, 2 passes, with a good soap/cream, glides on your face. Been pushing the number of shaves I get from this blade. Last blade was 7, and probably could have gotten a few more, but found I was doing a lot of clean up.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Lots of good suggestions here. There is no way around the audition process. Years ago there was a place to purchase single blades (which would be ridiculous as you sometimes get a bad blade, so you really need to get at least 2). I don't know if that still exists, but I think most blades come in 5 packs.

Med Preps/Labs are great blades. Last I knew they were the same basic blade, but made in two different locations. Most people find them incredibly similar, with some experiencing a little better quality control from the Med Preps.

For me the Med Preps, Polsilver SI and Gillette Platinum work in all my razors, but you never know until you try. It's a fun search because it's cheap. Enjoy the journey.

Gillette blue platinum has been my favorite in every razor ever since they reappeared a couple of years ago (presumed to be the reincarnation of the Swedes. I can vouch for the similarity since the Swede was my everyday blade from ‘06 to about 2013)

My top performers are Voskhod.

I also like BIC. I have about 20 packs of different blades. Every now and then I order about 5 different packs from ebay when a seller is providing a wide variety to choose from. I try them all, find my favorite, use it for a while and try something else when I feel like I want a change, but always come back to Voskhod. Blade's performance in my experience is affected by the hydration and quality of lather and razor. Voskhod tugs a little with very thick lather in a mild razor.

Great options on this thread!

My ’top-tier’ for what is worth (in no particular order):
Personna red
Personna lab (or med prep, which to me are essentially the same)
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)

In general you match a blade razor and user so everything can be different

The gsb is still my benchmark blade and I highly recommend the platinums and wizzamets
Want sharper nacet, bic, Kai
Not Russian bic, Kai or derby premium

I settled on the Personna Med Prep as my "one blade". It's kind of a chameleon - a little smoother than the Lab Blues in my Blackland Tradere, a little more efficient than the Astra SP in my Rockwell 6S. In short, the perfect match for all of my razors.

Make a list of favorite blades that are mentioned by the people here in the forum. Then by 2-3 blades from RBC or Try A Blade and try them for yourself. You will find that highly recommended blades may not work for you and those that don't get much recommendation may surprise you with great shaves. It is all about trying out for yourself.

Top Bottom