What's new

What became of Kent shaving brushes?

I have both a BK4 and BK8 that I've had for many years now. Recently, I was looking to see what was new in their line and it appears that badger is no longer and they're all synthetic. What did I miss? The BK4 and 8 are two of the worlds great silvertip shaving brushes do just fine on soap pucks (like Mitchell's Wool Fat). They are my two favorite brushes (also have a Super Badger Edwin Jagger, Rooney made T&H, and Vulfix Grosvenor (badger and boar mix).

They went vegan, simple as that. If you like their badgers look around for spares, maybe you can find them at other vendors than Kent themselves.

They went vegan, simple as that. If you like their badgers look around for spares, maybe you can find them at other vendors than Kent themselves.
Do you know if the same is true for the Hairbrushes? I poked around on the site and there were very few natural bristle hairbrushes even. I remember there being many more.

I have a black boar bristle hairbrush that is the best thing ever for my thick mop. I’d hate to see them stop producing such classics.

I’ve been poking around and some vendors still have them but they aren’t on Kent’s website anymore.

To the OP @Multum in parvo ’s advice of checking other vendors may be worthwhile for older stock badger shave brushes. Really a shame though.

I'm glad I have the two I have. Compared to the dense Rooney made T&H silvertip brush I have, these two softer shafted Kents seem to manage lathering Wool Fat, and my other hard soaps (Pre de Provence) just fine and have a great face feel. They used to be, for many shavers, top of the game brushes but I've been away from following shaving for some time. Now that I'm retired... ;)

I'm glad I have the two I have. Compared to the dense Rooney made T&H silvertip brush I have, these two softer shafted Kents seem to manage lathering Wool Fat, and my other hard soaps (Pre de Provence) just fine and have a great face feel. They used to be, for many shavers, top of the game brushes but I've been away from following shaving for some time. Now that I'm retired... ;)
I can’t remember which shaving site it was, but I noticed they still had two Kent Badger brushes left. Both black handled, one was the BK4, and the other was quite large, BK12? I can’t remember which site it was. I just checked Pasteur, Italian Barber, and Maggard’s. I didn’t see Kent badger shaving brushes show up in the search results there.

I have both a BK4 and BK8 that I've had for many years now. Recently, I was looking to see what was new in their line and it appears that badger is no longer and they're all synthetic. What did I miss? The BK4 and 8 are two of the worlds great silvertip shaving brushes do just fine on soap pucks (like Mitchell's Wool Fat). They are my two favorite brushes (also have a Super Badger Edwin Jagger, Rooney made T&H, and Vulfix Grosvenor (badger and boar mix).
What distinguishes BK4 vs BK8? Knot thickness?

Please don't dismiss the Kent synthetic brushes. As an owner of around a dozen Kent brushes both badger (all grades and models) and boar I can vouch that the synth brushes are pretty good. Their only failing I see is they are a little too much compared to other brands. So my advice would be to really try one. If you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for a small fee 🙂

What distinguishes BK4 vs BK8? Knot thickness?
The BK8 is larger - handle, knot, length. My BK4 says "super badger" my BK8 says "Silvertip" but it cold simply be a terminology change with them though the tips are indeed whiter on the larger brush. Both are soft, not dense, and wonderful for a luxurious shave. In spite of the lack of stiffer shafts, they both lather my hardest soaps without issue.

What polish exactly and where do you buy it. Can it be used for your face? :lol:
😁

D1EC23B4-3E6F-427C-8AC8-CE9D9CA61DBA.jpeg

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Looks there are a few BK4's still available here:

I actually gave it some thought a few years ago but the BK8 is plenty big. If I added the BK12, I'd also have to buy a clown suit.
I have a 4 and an 8; fantastic brushes - along with the Truefitt Rooney you also listed.

I’ve thought about the 12 a few times. I cannot recall the last time I used my 8; but hey how big can a 31mm knot really be ?

I have a 4 and an 8; fantastic brushes - along with the Truefitt Rooney you also listed.

I’ve thought about the 12 a few times. I cannot recall the last time I used my 8; but hey how big can a 31mm knot really be ?

31mm? Wow! I think I'm good on brushes with what's been added recently but I will continue to use what I had before the recent spree. The BK8 is near the top of my favorite brushes.

Top Bottom