What's new

What badger knot? 30 usd budget

Calling out for help all you like making your brushes or do brush restoration. I have read a lot of feedback here but opinions vary between time periods which is logical.

I would like to buy a badger knot for a brush project . I have a very low budget, around 30 usd.

My experience with badger brushes is very limited. I have a nice vintage brush but it is a bit scritchy.

I would like that the knot be dense, have good backbone and feel soft on the face. It will be a 24mm one. I hope I can get such with my budget.

1. Should I go for a silvertip or a two band?

2. Where should I get it? So far I have seen some affordable offerings from Maggard, Vig Shaving and Shaveforge (on the bay). If any of you have experiences with them please share.

Thank you guys.

2 Band Badger/Boar 24mm Maggards Razor.com
Around $25.00.
There great Knots.
Or try a 70/30 Knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one to check out would be Whipped Dog. I don’t have any personal experience with their badger knots but they seem to get mostly positive reviews.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I strongly recommend the knots from Whipped Dog, TGN and particularly, Brad Sears. Never much cared what the knot was called, rather I always have simply told them what experience I wanted as the final result and let them tell me what to get. The more information you give them the more likely the end result will be as you expect.

2 Band Badger/Boar 24mm Maggards Razor.com
Around $25.00.
There great Knots.
Or try a 70/30 Knot.

I second this advice. I’m a big fan of Maggard’s 70/30 knot. I think the break in period is longer than with a knot made entirely of badger, but it’s worth it in the end. If you want a more traditional knot, go with Maggard’s two band badger.

Envy shave lux silvertip $35
Its a great knot
Well, that price is for a 20 mm. My desire is for a 24 mm knot and which changes the price.

I strongly recommend the knots from Whipped Dog, TGN and particularly, Brad Sears. Never much cared what the knot was called, rather I always have simply told them what experience I wanted as the final result and let them tell me what to get. The more information you give them the more likely the end result will be as you expect.

Great tip. Already did it with TGN.

TGN, 23mm Premium Silvertip 29.00

Nice. Thank you.

Anyone has bought knots from Shaveforge seller?

Also consider ACE and Virginia Sheng on ebay.

Meggard two band is one of my favorite knots, but in 26 mm and above. Their 24 mm just isn't as nice.

As to if it should be Finest (including two band and high mountain) or silvertip it depends on what you want in a brush. Finest has more backbone while silvertip has a softer face feel.

I will report in 3 weeks as my knot hasn't arrived yet. I hope I will not regret going for a vigshaving badger knot. I will definitely let you know guys.

Calling out for help all you like making your brushes or do brush restoration. I have read a lot of feedback here but opinions vary between time periods which is logical.

I would like to buy a badger knot for a brush project . I have a very low budget, around 30 usd.

My experience with badger brushes is very limited. I have a nice vintage brush but it is a bit scritchy.

I would like that the knot be dense, have good backbone and feel soft on the face. It will be a 24mm one. I hope I can get such with my budget.

1. Should I go for a silvertip or a two band?

2. Where should I get it? So far I have seen some affordable offerings from Maggard, Vig Shaving and Shaveforge (on the bay). If any of you have experiences with them please share.

Thank you guys.
I just used Shave Forge. Had a very good experience having purchased a handle and 24mm silvertip knot. In fact, I just started a thread about them.

The two-band should be fine, I've got a couple. I have landed on Virginian Sheng or Ace Shaving "best" or "finest" badger knots as the best bang for the buck. Not quite as nice as a slivertip, but half the price and far better than the grey or pure badger.

That said, my actual favorite brush is a "AAA Pure Badger" from Penn State Industries. Fairly small (20 mm) but very full and no glue bump. My example shed too much when new, if I get another I'll comb it pretty hard before using it. Not as soft as a Best, but not scritchy enough to bother me, and it works really well for face lathering.

This vig shaving 2band knot type is new to me.
Simply loving it. I would recommend anyone to get a badger. Even if it would last me 2 years of shaving, I would still consider a good investment for 25 usd.

This is post shaving, a bit wet.
IMG_20180909_083041-picsay.jpg

A bit drier here below :
IMG_20180909_085957.jpg

Top Bottom