What's new

What Attracts You?

Saw this in the soap section by @bluesparkuk and thought it would be a good question to add to the razor sections.

What attracts you to certain razors?

For me it's the history. I enjoy having and using something that could have grown with someone and helped them shave, been a Christmas or birthday present, passed down to sons. What has this razor seen and where has it been?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hmmmmm... great question @BGO37 . I think functionality and aesthetics primarily have driven my purchases. I do appreciate some history but comfort and performance are the main focus for me.

I started as a collector in the late 80s. It was the history and evolution of design that I found interesting. Once I started using my vintage razors, i was amazed by how well an old type worked and it just got better as my skill improved. I guess now when looking at modern razors I am looking for innovation in design and or materials. I like tying modern razors but still end up using my vintage razors more often.

I started as a collector in the late 80s. It was the history and evolution of design that I found interesting. Once I started using my vintage razors, i was amazed by how well an old type worked and it just got better as my skill improved. I guess now when looking at modern razors I am looking for innovation in design and or materials. I like tying modern razors but still end up using my vintage razors more often.

I have found that my vintage razors do require more "skill" than my modern ones. The old ones tend to shave better like you said.

I only started into this type of shaving to find a better shave and had no intentions of becoming a small collector of razors. I guess for the most part function of the razor and being able to get a good shave is the main thing. Next is history and tied would be nostalgia and what I mean that is having 3 razors that were made in the year/quarter I was born(J3). The razors are Slim, Tech and SS and in the time frame of my birth a Schick Krona and my Dad's Schick J1 Injector. And a few years before I was born my Fatboy E2. Outside of the Slim being a re-plate in rose gold the others fascinate me in how old they are and how well they stood up to time. Did Gillette ever expect people to be collecting these razors especially some that are over 100 years old.

1. History - For example, I have a few razors that were around several years before the Titanic was built. Looking at pictures of people back then and how life was in general is special to me. These men used the same tools. With my other razors, I jump to WW1, the roaring twenties, the Depression, WW2, the fifties, the moon landing, the seventies and finally the eighties. After being quiet for a while, modern razors in the millennium. All share a piece of history.

2. Build Quality - Perceived performance is secondary to me as I can get BBS with all vintage and modern razors I own in 3 passes or less. Aggressive or mild razors also mean little to me other than my mood that day. Mild razors as daily drivers and aggressive ones on weekends and holidays is usually where I end up. People disagree here on B&B about many things but the quality of the build is just that, it is easy to see and something that most people can agree on.

3. Materials - Brass, stainless, copper, bronze, aluminum and titanium all have their own advantages and disadvantages. Personal preference is all that matters. This also ties into the build of the razors. Some razors I love in aluminum, might not work for me with the same design in brass, etc.

I used to collect razors before I ever started to use them. I got them mostly from antique malls. All that time I used Schick disposables on my face. That and a can of Nivea shave gel. A few years passed and I decided to use them. So I learned technique, and bought some gear. Then I discovered this forum and bought even MORE gear! I love traditional DE razor shaving and all the tips and advice that we are given here at B and B.....

Efficiency >Materials > Price

I need efficiency that suits me, that is paramount, I don't care if it comes from a bakelite razor or a CNC Stainless Steel milled razor.

Material comes next, as I'd like to get a razor that can last a long time, but if I find a razor to my liking, but that isn't made of durable material, then I'll be inclined to get one more of the same.

Price is also a factor, because whatever I presume, I have finite amount of funds, and I like to be able to get the most of it (spreading it among soaps, brushes etc).

I don't care much about history of the razor, as it's just an added discussion point, my shaving won't be affected by how rich the razor's history is.

I left out Looks as a deciding or attraction factor, because what can I say; I love Blackland Blackbird, RazoRock Game Changer as well as PAA Bakelite slant razor.
There is no hot spot for loving any particular looks fine for me.

Saw this in the soap section by @bluesparkuk and thought it would be a good question to add to the razor sections.

What attracts you to certain razors?

For me it's the history. I enjoy having and using something that could have grown with someone and helped them shave, been a Christmas or birthday present, passed down to sons. What has this razor seen and where has it been?

Fully agree. The history on a vintage razor is also my main attractor. Adding to this I am driven by visual and mechanical design first and shaving qualities second. But both have to be present for a razor to stay in my den. Prefer TTO’s, by the way.

Fully agree. The history on a vintage razor is also my main attractor. Adding to this I am driven by visual and mechanical design first and shaving qualities second. But both have to be present for a razor to stay in my den. Prefer TTO’s, by the way.

I never intended to become a collector but I have always thought old things are cool, especially when they work.

If they don’t shave well for me then I try to sell them but it’s really hard.

Top Bottom