What's new

What are your top 4 fragrances? Keep only 4?

If you could only keep 4 fragrances for the rest of your life what would they be? And what would be your rationale? Would you go:
-strictly 4 favorite smells?
-one for each season?
-one for different situations (I.e. work, casual, date, etc.)
-4 with different types of fragrant notes?

So let’s see your top 4!

I lean towards floral fragrances or those which are distinctive and evocative to me. I do not like cologney fragrances, and I avoid fragrances that are too strong or too long-lasting.

My four that I settled on as my eternals that I like to wear any time would be:

Acqua di Parma Colonia (citrus/floral, the best smell in the world, still fresh today even though it is from 1916)

Tom Ford Tobacco Oud (really balanced whisky/tobacco/vanilla/wood scent - more autumnal/wintry or evening for me)

Gucci Mémoire d’une Odeur (herbal/floral unisex, quite unique, calm, not too sweet, quite versatile and pairs well with most floral soaps that I like)

Caron Pour un Homme (unique lavender/vanilla, I find it intellectually interesting, some will get play-doh or bug-spray because the brain doesn’t compute lavender with vanilla easily - but I wear it for me)

I also like Dior Eau Sauvage and Tom Ford Oud Wood a lot too.

C96B1DD2-1DDE-439A-B335-942BF07F4770.jpeg

Last edited:
I particularly like fresh fragrances so at the moment I think I would go
-Terre D’Hermes
-Bleu de Chanel
-Sedley
-AdP Colonia

Though I quite love a couple of samples I have currently (Aventus cologne and MFK gentle fluidity silver). And I really love TOBS and AoS sandalwood and would love to find a complimentary fragrance.
25F4FD3A-F734-46E0-9463-5D7128233B07.jpeg

Only 4? Wow...that is hard. But here I go.

I like frags that can work in any situation and that are seasonally appropriate. I like them to perform discreetly, which is to say that I want longevity, but not heavy projection. An "all-day skin-scent" is the best description of what I mean. With that out of the way, here's the list.

Spring: Penhaligon's Douro

Summer: Floris No 89

Fall: Floris Elite

Winter: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have one fragrance.... so I'd have to add 3 to have a top 4. I've been using Escada pour Homme Escada for a few decades now. I don't wear cologne all that often but my wife loves this one too so I've stuck with it.

When we were searching, my wife and I went to Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus and a few other of the better department store fragrance counters.... we tried.... well, way too many but settled on the Escada. They no longer make this one, but I purchased an additional bottle along the way so I'm set until death. ;)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My choices are:

Faberge Brut before it became Brut 33.
Lentheric Tweed.
Chanel number 5.
Aramis.

For me, specific scents are not important, instead what matters to me is what the scents do and how they make me feel. When I smell Brut or Tweed, I can close my eyes and reach out across 40 years and see my Mother and Father together again, I can see the house where we lived and remember my happy childhood. Chanel number 5 is what my wife wears, and what I sometimes wear myself if she is away, because it makes me feel closer to her although in truth she smells just perfect with no perfume at all. Finally Aramis takes me back to when I left home and my Mother gave me a bottle as a going away gift. These are more than simply scents, they are links to places, times, and people that in some cases are no more, and they have a value to me that is beyond price. The clear winner, by a country mile, is Brut - for me the greatest scent ever created, and it is not even close.

Excluding aftershaves? I'd pick:

Stetson
Halston 1-12
Caron The Third Man
Grey Flannel

They are easy to wear, and cover different occasions. Halston evening/special events, Caron for Church, Stetson for work, and Grey Flannel for kicking around the house.

That's today...tomorrow, I might pick something else.

Excluding aftershaves? I'd pick:

Stetson
Halston 1-12
Caron The Third Man
Grey Flannel

They are easy to wear, and cover different occasions. Halston evening/special events, Caron for Church, Stetson for work, and Grey Flannel for kicking around the house.

That's today...tomorrow, I might pick something else.
What’s your thought process when choosing a fragrance for church? I’ve hardly ever been to a church and I genuinely have no idea. Do you need something that says “cleanliness/godliness” or “fine, upstanding pillar of the community” or “humble penitent” or “incense, myrrh, etc.”, or just “something to impress the ladies without being too obvious”?

I’ve never thought about this.

What’s your thought process when choosing a fragrance for church? I’ve hardly ever been to a church and I genuinely have no idea. Do you need something that says “cleanliness/godliness” or “fine, upstanding pillar of the community” or “humble penitent” or “incense, myrrh, etc.”, or just “something to impress the ladies without being too obvious”?

Mainly something for picking up chicks.

It's mild, sweet, and completely inoffensive. Its not business-like, not a "here I am", or a lady-killer. If there was a fragrance that had no agenda, it's The Third Man. It's just happiness in a bottle. I also would only use it 1x week, saving on the cost.

Only 4? What kind of physopath asks to pick just 4 fragrances? Just kidding, but no seriously this was tough. My picks are kind of boring cause it's what I mostly wear.... because they're the easiest to wear.
Terre D'hermes edt
Creed Aventus
John Varvatos Vintage
YSL La Nuit D'Lomme
The first three I just can't part with. The last one is my wife absolutely goes crazy for so that sucks around for date nights.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig

The last thing.

Only 4? What kind of physopath asks to pick just 4 fragrances? Just kidding, but no seriously this was tough. My picks are kind of boring cause it's what I mostly wear.... because they're the easiest to wear.
Terre D'hermes edt
Creed Aventus
John Varvatos Vintage
YSL La Nuit D'Lomme
The first three I just can't part with. The last one is my wife absolutely goes crazy for so that sucks around for date nights.
I wonder what Freud would say.

Top Bottom