What's new

What are your thoughts on waxed canvas

Waxed bunch of the family's cotton jackets about 6 months ago, ready for current winter here - Otter Wax Large Bar

Goes on well, and with a heat gun it soaks into the fabric really well. Would rather go for my oil skin jacket in proper downpour weather, but for passing rain they do really well, and don't have that greasy feel to them. Would have no issues doing a pack.

They also do a tin of wax to melt and brush on which would be a lot easier on the hands than the bars.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
what are your thoughts for packs and other gear? I have a big waxe canvas that my father in law used to cover something very oily so I can’t use it for anything else but it was coving my mill and lathe when the roof chose to leak heavily above them for most of the winter and spring. A knee replacement kept me out of the shop for several months. I was very impressed with how well it protected the machines. Since then I have noticed lots of stuff made from it but not sure how well it holds up in the long run.

How does it handle the heat?

See the post below on my old Lewis Creek waxed cotton wading jacket, made by Barbour.

After so many years the leather inner label cant be read anymore and only the face of the brass snaps show it to be by Lewis Creek.

Notice the brass zipper, snaps and other hardware and the brass screens for armpit vents, double shoulders and double shoulder back panel. It also has an inner zipper for a zip in liner which I had forgotten about.

Inspecting it, which I havent done for years, it seems to have one seam starting to come loose on one sleeve, but thats minor and is in really good shape considering the use its seen over the years.

I left the pictures full size so you can have a closer look. In the picture of the armpit vents you might get an idea of how fine Egyptian Cotton really is and how tightly and finely its woven.

I think I bought it in 1988 or 1989, I cant remember. I do remember it was $430, and if you ask me, worth every penny and more.

The post above that one in that thread covered the application of wax to it.

As far as heat and sun, assuming the wax is properly applied, its a non issue. When I'd recoat that jacket I'd sometimes use a hair dryer to melt the wax well into the weave.

In warmer weather it just feels softer and more flexible, maybe slightly oily on your fingers if its a fresh coat.

In cold weather, -10C and colder, it can get stiff without body heat keeping it warm. On a tarp the wax may even crack, but as soon as it warms again it will blend back in.

Waxed canvas is much the same, just thicker material.

Below is a 12x14 Woods waxed canvas wall tent we used moose hunting. The tarp is over it so the snow slides off. Snow will stick to the canvas roof.

camp snow.jpg

Ideally, you should have two tents, as long as they both protect against insects. You can use a light tent for a warm season and one warm tent-like these, for example, I often go to the mountains so 2 tents are a good choice if you like to be active.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've worn a Filson waxed coat for over twenty years, still going strong, but I've rewaxed it twice.
I much prefer Gortex.
That's my take too. Filson, Barbour, et al, old school and believe me I like old school, but I think the modern materials have so far surpassed the old school that it's really difficult to stay with old school unless one throws common sense to the wind.

Waxed Canvas... worked great for Mallory, Buhl and the climbers of the nineteen twenties through fifties. Now, we have lightweight dynemma and halcyon packs single wall tents, Hilleberg lightweight tents, advanced Gore Tex fabrics. I have three custom McHale packs, two are 1000 cordura and are considered these days to be heavy and one lightweight dynemma. All three, bulletproof. Sure, waxed canvas, cool. Higher tech fabrics now, so much better. YMMV.

Top Bottom