What's new

What are your thoughts on the Parker razors?

And many more would agree or the fact that the mergress is a thing and people are paying more for it just for that is evidence enough. I won't tell you what you should like, and if you think the progress is beautiful than good for you. I was merely pointing out the fallacies of the above reply. And it's true me saying it's ugly is an opinion but many have the same opinion as I read on many posts and forums and tried it out myself. Some people think watching paint dry is fun and that's cool I think the progress is ugly and saying it's because a matter of design is simply absurd.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Gotcha. I've read your posts here and wish you good luck.

I like the Progress with the plastic knob, and I like the Parker Variant. They are competing razors of similar quality and performance. Both are outstanding!

I have the Parker 65R and enjoy it very much. It’s very heavy which is good for letting the razor do the work. Also it’s handle is gorgeous. I bought mine on Amazon for about $20 USD a couple years ago.

I have a Parker Travel Razor and a 94R. I am very happy with both of them.

I swapped heads on my last trip just to experiment as they are not exactly the same. I get good shaves from both heads so, no complaints. For about $30 USD, I think they provide good bang for the buck.

A visit to the Parker website produced the following;

The Parker 94R has a traditional 3-inch long handle, which is crafted from solid brass and chrome plated. The herringbone pattern on the handle provides an excellent grip – even with soap-covered hands. Its precision engineering and heft are no challenge for tackling the toughest of beards. This razor is an excellent choice for both new and experienced safety razor users.

Razor type: Three-Piece Safety Razor

Weight: 3.4 oz.

Length: 3 in.

Handle material: Genuine Brass Frame, Chrome Plated

My experience is that Parker is better however they do have quality control issues after release but they do seem to fix that. I have the Parker variant and it's better ymmv than both the merkur progress /me egress and futur. I'm not sure about the vision however.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I agree. The QC issues seem to have been resolved. I have a Variant and have had no issues.

I have the Progress and the Variant. For me, they both shave in a very similar manner; however, the knurling on the Variant is better when I have slick hands from shave soap. Conversely, applying some alum block to the hand makes the Progress easier to handle.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have a Parker Travel Razor and a 94R. I am very happy with both of them.

I swapped heads on my last trip just to experiment as they are not exactly the same. I get good shaves from both heads so, no complaints. For about $30 USD, I think they provide good bang for the buck.

A visit to the Parker website produced the following;

The Parker 94R has a traditional 3-inch long handle, which is crafted from solid brass and chrome plated. The herringbone pattern on the handle provides an excellent grip – even with soap-covered hands. Its precision engineering and heft are no challenge for tackling the toughest of beards. This razor is an excellent choice for both new and experienced safety razor users.

Razor type: Three-Piece Safety Razor

Weight: 3.4 oz.

Length: 3 in.

Handle material: Genuine Brass Frame, Chrome Plated
No razor company on the face of the earth makes a zamak handle. They are all made from brass. This is why you never hear of threads where, "my zamak handle broke when I dropped it".

No razor company on the face of the earth makes a zamak handle. They are all made from brass. This is why you never hear of threads where, "my zamak handle broke when I dropped it".

Yes, I get that, but a poster above stated that the heads are not brass. From the website, you are led to believe that the entire razor, at least in the case of the 94R, is made from brass. Is this true? I don't know without removing the finish of my razor.

All I am saying is that I am happy with my two Parker razors.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, I get that, but a poster above stated that the heads are not brass. From the website, you are led to believe that the entire razor, at least in the case of the 94R, is made from brass. Is this true? I don't know without removing the finish of my razor.

All I am saying is that I am happy with my two Parker razors.

I'm happy you are happy with your razor. This is one of those topics that come up from time to time, like Polsilvers are discontinued threads, on B&B due to Parkers deceptive advertising. It is deceptive but not technically dishonest. They state the obvious that their handles are brass. They remain silent on the question of the head, even when questioned directly about it by a B&B member, in a letter to Parker. Fatip on the other hand proudly states that their razors are 100% brass. If your razor was 100% brass you would proudly state that as a selling point. Parker does not. Fortunately, in all of this, you don't have to destroy your razor to find out. I did a real quick search of B&B and found these few posts on the subject. One is the letter where Parker refuses to say what their heads are made of. One post is where a base plate cracked on a 94r and TobyC, who knew his stuff, told the person it was zamak and to contact Parker for a replacement head. There is also information on the web that I can't direct you to because it is from other forums. Sharpologist also does a review of Parker and he states Parker three piece razors have chrome plated zamak heads.

Parker Speaks-Responses from Founder's US Partner

Parker 94R & 97R ?

Cracked finish on base plate

R

romsitsa

Merkur, Apollo, almost all German firms did use zamak handles. I have the feeling that the Progress handle is still a casting. If someone can say with 100% confidence that it's brass, I'll buy one.

Adam

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Merkur, Apollo, almost all German firms did use zamak handles. I have the feeling that the Progress handle is still a casting. If someone can say with 100% confidence that it's brass, I'll buy one.

Adam
I'm very curious. The reason for making zamak heads is for precision. Brass handles were never a problem. If Germany did make any zamak handles it would most likely be due to needing brass for bullets for their evil (WWII). Do you have any links to verify for definitive proof? This would be an important part of DE history worthy of sharing.

I'm very curious. The reason for making zamak heads is for precision. Brass handles were never a problem. If Germany did make any zamak handles it would most likely be due to needing brass for bullets for their evil (WWII). Do you have any links to verify for definitive proof? This would be an important part of DE history worthy of sharing.
The neck section on 40s Rotbart handles look like they might be Zamak. I don't recall seeing an Apollo or Merkur handle looking that funky.

I'm happy you are happy with your razor. This is one of those topics that come up from time to time, like Polsilvers are discontinued threads, on B&B due to Parkers deceptive advertising. It is deceptive but not technically dishonest. They state the obvious that their handles are brass. They remain silent on the question of the head, even when questioned directly about it by a B&B member, in a letter to Parker. Fatip on the other hand proudly states that their razors are 100% brass. If your razor was 100% brass you would proudly state that as a selling point. Parker does not. Fortunately, in all of this, you don't have to destroy your razor to find out. I did a real quick search of B&B and found these few posts on the subject. One is the letter where Parker refuses to say what their heads are made of. One post is where a base plate cracked on a 94r and TobyC, who knew his stuff, told the person it was zamak and to contact Parker for a replacement head. There is also information on the web that I can't direct you to because it is from other forums. Sharpologist also does a review of Parker and he states Parker three piece razors have chrome plated zamak heads.

Parker Speaks-Responses from Founder's US Partner

Parker 94R & 97R ?

Cracked finish on base plate

+1! Great summary!! :a14::a14::a14:

Parker delivers good value for the $ IMO. Even if (perhaps more than) a bit deceptive.

I have a 96R TTO Parker. Cost me CDN$36. I really like the handle. Merkur 34C is my daily. I actually forgot I owned a Parker. When I was tempted to buy some vintage TTO I remembered that I actually owned one and got it out again. Like I said, I really like the long skinny knurled handle. The head I find chatters. I realize that the designs of the razor heads to hold the blades vary and I look forward to trying different designs.

M

Member 113878

I got a TTO, which didn’t work for me.
One side was too mild and the other too agressive.
I then got a three-piece, which is great.
Parker was hit and miss for me.

Top Bottom