What's new

What are your thoughts on the Parker razors?

Underdog? Merkur competitor? I saw that they are made of brass and I was intrigued by their cheap price. Are they worth the price? Are they better than the zamak made razors? Looking forward to your responses :a14::a14::a14:

I have had a few Parkers and several Merkurs.

I think because of the marketing, the fact that they're made in Germany is really hyped up. But I actually prefer the fit and finish of the Parkers that I have had over the Merkurs. If you look under the head of the German-made razors, you'll see a lack of finishing.

From what I remember, I think they shave about the same .

and if Parkers are actually made of brass, to me, that puts them way ahead.

I actually prefer about any of my vintage Gillettes to either of these brands now that I've been into it for a couple of years.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

They have some very nice models for cheap. I believe a 26C and a Variant worth a try.
Ordering from overseas(if you are from the USA) can even save more money.

They have some very nice models for cheap. I believe a 26C and a Variant worth a try.
Ordering from overseas(if you are from the USA) can even save more money.
Yeah the Variant looks a lot better than Merkur's Progress, the plastic knob is killing me.

The Parker Variant is a wonderful razor. Has Zamac up top but the threads are brass so if you don’t drop it, you got a razor that will last. I prefer the looks of the Variant handle to the original Merkur Progress, but tastes vary of course. I do like the shave better with a Merkur top cap on my Variant. Hard to call it a frankenrazor really but the cap is slimmer and more maneuverable under my nose and it makes the Variant more aggressive.

My experience is that Parker is better however they do have quality control issues after release but they do seem to fix that. I have the Parker variant and it's better ymmv than both the merkur progress /me egress and futur. I'm not sure about the vision however.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

My experience is that Parker is better however they do have quality control issues after release but they do seem to fix that. I have the Parker variant and it's better ymmv than both the merkur progress /me egress and futur. I'm not sure about the vision however.

*mergress (razor with the metal inob instead of the hideous plastic knob)

*mergress (razor with the metal inob instead of the hideous plastic knob)

The "hideous plastic knob" not only serves as a reminder of the Progress' six decade heritage it also gives the razor perfect balance. Mergress looks great but it moves the well designed balance point further south than it should be.

The "hideous plastic knob" not only serves as a reminder of the Progress' six decade heritage it also gives the razor perfect balance. Mergress looks great but it moves the well designed balance point further south than it should be.
Sounds more like of a bad razor design than anything else.

Sounds more like of a bad razor design than anything else.

In the case of the Merkur, a "bad razor design" which folks have been buying since 1955. Obviously it works fine for a lot of people. It is in fact a good way to get the desired handle length without upsetting balance. I get that's not your concern.

I have several of each: Merkur I have the 23 long handle OC, 45 bakelite mode, Futur, Progress and I traded my 34C for a 37C (slant). Of those, I still use the Progress and 37C, the rest sit in my desk drawer. On the Parkers I have the 26C, 87R, 82R and Variant, all four of which are still in regular use. I think Parker produces better looking razors and the 87R looks like a British Gillette Aristocrat so it's nice to display.

In the case of the Merkur, a "bad razor design" which folks have been buying since 1955. Obviously it works fine for a lot of people. It is in fact a good way to get the desired handle length without upsetting balance. I get that's not your concern.
People buy apple iPhone and dre beats headphones and just because these are popular doesn't mean that they are not overpriced garbage. As far as balance I have never had any issues with the variant so If using an ugly plastic knob is to have a perfect balance it is badly designed. Otherwise it could have been designed with the adjustment on top like the old Gillette adjustables and there are better ways to achieve great balance without sacrificing aesthetics. And I never stated that people don't enjoy the progress I'm simply stating the design is ugly regardless of why they decided to build it as such. And other razors have been designed without and with great balance.

People buy apple iPhone and dre beats headphones and just because these are popular doesn't mean that they are not overpriced garbage. As far as balance I have never had any issues with the variant so If using an ugly plastic knob is to have a perfect balance it is badly designed. Otherwise it could have been designed with the adjustment on top like the old Gillette adjustables and there are better ways to achieve great balance without sacrificing aesthetics. And I never stated that people don't enjoy the progress I'm simply stating the design is ugly regardless of why they decided to build it as such. And other razors have been designed without the ugly knob and with great balance.

People buy apple iPhone and dre beats headphones and just because these are popular doesn't mean that they are not overpriced garbage. As far as balance I have never had any issues with the variant so If using an ugly plastic knob is to have a perfect balance it is badly designed. Otherwise it could have been designed with the adjustment on top like the old Gillette adjustables and there are better ways to achieve great balance without sacrificing aesthetics. And I never stated that people don't enjoy the progress I'm simply stating the design is ugly regardless of why they decided to build it as such. And other razors have been designed without and with great balance.

You're opining it's ugly rather than stating a fact. Many would disagree.

I don't have the Variant so no idea about its balance, obviously people make adjustments without much thought, it may balance just fine with its ugly metal knob [emoji41]

proxy.php

I don't have the Variant so no idea about its balance, obviously people make adjustments without much thought, it may balance just fine with its ugly metal knob [emoji41]

proxy.php
The Progress is my favorite look for the brand.

proxy.php
And many more would agree or the fact that the mergress is a thing and people are paying more for it just for that is evidence enough. I won't tell you what you should like, and if you think the progress is beautiful than good for you. I was merely pointing out the fallacies of the above reply. And it's true me saying it's ugly is an opinion but many have the same opinion as I read on many posts and forums and tried it out myself. Some people think watching paint dry is fun and that's cool I think the progress is ugly and saying it's because a matter of design is simply absurd.

Top Bottom