What's new

What are your thoughts on slants?

Absolutely, I always do the slide on my second pass.This is a technique that I’ve found especially beneficial, but I’m not anti-slant at all.
I don’t feel the need to use one myself, but I don’t have a Homer Simpson beard. If I did, I’d likely pull out all the tricks.

View attachment 990507

I first used the slide successfully on my neck. It was a “Hmmm...moment”;
and the rest is history. The Slide works.
Although maybe not for everyone.
The key is knowing the direction of the beard. It is just like the fall line in skiing.

Lots of interesting comments and different experiences and opinions. I think for me I will try a slant some day in the future, but I get an excellent shave with a standard DE that I don't think a slant will make a big difference. We all find the best technique and products that works for us as individuals. I enjoyed reading all your comments. Thanks for posting.

I used to disparage slants as a gimmick. I tried a Merkur barberpole slant and picked up a no-name German travel slant, and they were no great shakes - I had to clean up afterward with a better razor like a Schick injector or a GEM SE.

Then I lucked into a Schotz slant; it's become one of my top 5 razors, very efficient and effortless. I later picked up a Krect Spiral Curve razor and a user-grade Apollo slant - both are great shavers, better than most of my DEs but not as good as the Schotz.

I picked up a Pomco slant (a Merkur re-badge), and it's mediocre at best.

I was never able to really get the Merkur slants to work for me. For some reason, I always had stubble left over and, much like Salty O'Rourke, I had to finish up with another razor. Because of that experience, I gave up on slants for many years. When I tried the PAA Bakelite slant, however, I thought the idea may hold some promise for me and reconsidered. The RR Wunderbar is in my top five razors of all time.

D6643003-9B32-48DD-AA87-B57BFE0095F0.jpeg
I need a weekends worth of growth before I see any benefit to using a slant.
But that is me and my face.

I’m a relative newcomer but when I tried a slant, it was an instant major breakthrough for me from its very first use and I’ve been using pretty much daily since for the past 3-4 months. Honestly, I wish I just started with a slant to begin with. I never felt like it was over aggressive or prone to causing cuts or nicks. I’m using the 39C and It’s working fine. Maybe later I will look at trying another slant, maybe one that is machined better. In the 39C I notice there is quite a bit of slop with the blade when installing. It seems that could be improved, but it’s working so I guess no need to “fix it”.

Top Bottom