What's new

What are Your Thoughts on Fedora Hats?

I own a very wide brim 100% beaver fedora and wear it all the time that I'm camping, mowing the lawn, hiking and other outdoor activities. The wife feels it's out of place for wearing around town and the like, but I wear pretty much everywhere else.

By "fedora" do you mean basically a felt dress business hat such as men typically wore throughout the 1930s, 40s, and 50s?

I own two--one in black and one in grey. I rarely wear the one in black as I get too much teasing on being funeral or Hassidic. The grey one I wear from time to time. I really cannot decide whether it is stylish and cool or nerdly on me. I think on a cold day with a dress top coat, it looks fine. Undecided otherwise.

I have a lot of fedoras.I wear one every day.My newest one is from the 50s.My oldest from the 30s.
This is a 1940s Stetson

proxy.php
[/IMG]

I think they are great. That said, I have a bit of a time pulling the look off. My gray fedora goes well with several different colors of suits. However, I always feel like I stick out too much to comfortably wear it often. Whereas I'm just trying to be sensible, I come off looking like I'm trying to be flashy (I look considerably younger than I am). Also, a lot of oddballs wear them. No offense to the oddballs, and cheers to the gents who can actually pull it off.

I wear mine when it rains. It is much better than an umbrella, and I tend to haul briefcases around. Mine should be coming out of the closet in the next few days.

Mine is a Stetson Temple. I've had it for about 5 years and it still looks new.

I have a lot of fedoras.I wear one every day.My newest one is from the 50s.My oldest from the 30s.
This is a 1940s Stetson

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Sounds like you might have some experience with this: What do you do to get them cleaned and blocked? My grey felt fedora really needs it, but it is so expense to have done it seems, that I might as well spend the bucks and just upgrade it.

I like them. I have one I used to wear all the time during the summer. Winter time comes around I'm all about Irish tweed hats. (my avatar)

I think the problem with hats is that they have become a niche fashion accessory and additional scrutiny. Fedoras, like all hats, can be cool but it depends so much on the wearer. I was over looking at pictures at fedoralounge(? I think that was the board), and half of the guys looked like they were in costume. No disrespect to those gentlemen, but so much of "pulling it off" is knowing what hats look good on you and what don't. We can't all wear the indiana jones hat, we just can't. Some guys look great, some look like they are playing dress-up. The trick, in my opinion, is finding the hat style that you like that actually looks good on you. But, then again, if you just wear a style long enough, maybe it "just happens" one day that suddenly you look right...

Sounds like you might have some experience with this: What do you do to get them cleaned and blocked? My grey felt fedora really needs it, but it is so expense to have done it seems, that I might as well spend the bucks and just upgrade it.

I just brush them with a soft brush,steam them to form the crease and go....
A good fur felt hat will last several lifetimes.mine are all quite old.

I think the problem with hats is that they have become a niche fashion accessory and additional scrutiny. Fedoras, like all hats, can be cool but it depends so much on the wearer. I was over looking at pictures at fedoralounge(? I think that was the board), and half of the guys looked like they were in costume. No disrespect to those gentlemen, but so much of "pulling it off" is knowing what hats look good on you and what don't. We can't all wear the indiana jones hat, we just can't. Some guys look great, some look like they are playing dress-up. The trick, in my opinion, is finding the hat style that you like that actually looks good on you. But, then again, if you just wear a style long enough, maybe it "just happens" one day that suddenly you look right...

They are just hats....don't over think this,just put one on your head and wear it.

I love Fedoras and own about a dozen total-most are vintage, although I do have several newer hats as well. I wear either Fedoras or Panamas seasonally, and I rarely leave home without a cover. My Grandfather got me started wearing Fedoras when I was a Freshman in High School by giving me one of his vintage Stetsons which I literally wore out.

Top Bottom