What's new

What are your thoughts on Aqua Velva Musk?

I have become quite fond of the Classic Blue and Sport but have not tried the Musk yet. I am worried that it resembles the English Leather scent from the 80's as I was given a bottle of that when I was a teenager and that scent was not for me. If any B&B gents who use the Musk on a regular basis can share their thoughts that would be great.

I steer clear of anything called musk. My wife can't stand it. I sniffed a bottle of that stuff at Wal Mart and thought it was nasty. I'm sure some folks like it though or they wouldn't make it.

Personally I don't like the smell of it. My wife smelled some in the store once and she actually wanted me to buy it because she thought it smelled nice... So far, I've never used it.

I like it, you can smell the "AV Ice Blue" in there, buried under the Musk. The scent is very strong, much stronger than the Ice Blue. I put some in an atomiser and use it as cologne. Maybe a little on my neck. It's just too much as a face splash though..

-Mason

I don't like it at all. I love AV Classic Ice Blue and Original Sport (green), but I didn't like the smell of AV Musk in the bottle nor how it played out when worn.

It is not as cooling as AV Classic (no menthol) but it still works well as an aftershave to tone the skin and fight burn/bumps. Better than most.

The scent lingers a long time (YMMV) so I use this on occasion when I want a scent to stay around on me into the day. Usually I stick with my "straight up" AV Classic - good scent but fades quickly.

It is cheap and worth a try if you like the scent. Discretely unscrew the cap off a bottle in the score to see if you like it. Could be the best four bucks you'll spend on a shaving product next to AV Classic.

Great after shave. I just finished a bottle myself. It's a bit strong at first but rounds off later on. My wife says it's "old mannish" but I used it anyway :001_smile

I reluctantly bought some because of the low price- and expected it to be "musky", of course (which always seems a little gross to me).

BUT- When I opened the bottle, I could swear that it's actually sandalwood!

My marketing conspiracy theory is that AV knew that the type of Manly Man that shops at Walmart wouldn't be caught dead with a bottle of "Sandalwood" in his bathroom. So AV has all of us Manly Men covered already, with a bottle deceptively labeled as "Musk".

I love the Classic but I must say the musk turns me off. It reminds me a little too much of high school dances. I pretty much stay clear of anything with musk in the title. But rock it if you like it!

I like it, I'm out of it and I kind of miss it. I'm currently in the shave sabbatical so I can't/won't buy a replacement but I will buy it again somewhere down the road when my current aftershave supply dwindles down a bit more.

It shouldn't be judged just sniffing it from the bottle because it will take on a different character on the skin. It goes on a bit sweet but quickly settles into a very pleasant scent. It's got a little more staying power than a lot of aftershaves but if you want to use it like you would a cologne, you'll have to reapply it a few times throughout the day. It performs like the rest of the AV line and leaves me with a very nice post shave feel. I would place it second only to the AV Original Sport (green) which is only available in Canada. Third would be the Ice Sport and last and least would be the AV Blue which I won't wear. For whatever reason I associate that scent with old man/WW II vets though I'm getting to be an old man and I still won't wear it. I'm not a fan of that scent.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have and own around 250 different aftershaves modern and vintage from all over the world. Aqua Velva Musk is my wife’s favorite.

I cleaned up after working outside yesterday. Splashed on some AV Musk before heading out the door to run a few errands and grocery shop. After five minutes or so, the stuff smells great. I know scent is "like it or leave it", but I can't smell the hang up some fellas have with AV Musk. Missus approves also, and she doesn't care for low-end aftershave scents usually. AV Musk will always be in my cabinet, along with Ice Blue, Old Spice Original and Bootleggers Bay Rum.

I used up one bottle (the bottle I had at the start of this thread in 2008) which was in glass. Years later after the switch to plastic I bought another bottle, but ended up PIF-ing it as part of an effort to reduce my collection. (Futile because I keep buying Avon stuff). I think it's great, I do miss it sometimes, but I have Jovan Musk cologne and it's pretty close and I have plenty of other aftershaves.

Top Bottom