What's new

What Are Your Favourite Soap And Fragrance Pairings?

What are your favourite shaving soap and fragrance (aftershave, cologne, EdP, etc.) pairings?

I have settled on a couple of different pairings in particular that I like a great deal together, as well as being some of my favourite products on their own:

Noble Otter Rawr + Gucci Mèmoire d’Une Odeur EdP - if you like florals these complement each other really well even though the scents are dissimilar. Neither is too sweet, and neither overwhelms the other

House of Mammoth Tobacconist + Tom Ford Tobacco Oud EdP - seem to have very closely matching woody tobacco characters, even though the scent components are different (the Tom Ford has whisky, vanilla and oud notes that aren’t present in the Mammoth soap, and the Mammoth has some fruit notes)

I’m sure you guys must have found some really good pairings.

Last edited:
I'm going to exclude soaps that are inspired by a particular fragrance, that would feel like cheating. I've got many pairings that I really enjoy but these are the ones that seem destined for each other.
1. Stirling boat drinks and hugo boss bottled intense edp or boss bottled oud
2. PAA Speakeasy or A&E barbiere sofisticato and John Varvatos vintage
3. A&E Asian plum and John varvatos original

Warmer days:
  • Speick Stick & Speick EdT (no brainer)
  • SV Felce Aromatica & Speick EdT - the alpine connection!
  • Speick Stick & TdH Eau Intense Vetiver - the afterglow of the speick and the citrus top notes work
Cooler days:
  • DR Harris Marlborough soap & cologne
  • Lea soap & Chanel Égöiste
  • Lea soap & Neat Iffy Wood

I don’t really overthink it. If I use a dupe scented soap, I will try to match it with the original cologne though. Stirling Green with Polo Green, Executive Man with Aventus, a&E Revolution with Spicebomb, etc.

Most of my soaps have mild scents and don’t really interfere with different scented EDT or EDP.

-----
1709822148297.png

These smell as if they were made for each other.

Eau de Passion Men Intense — Franck Olivier: to me, fundamentally, it's a clean-sweet, powdery barbershop . . . and it could almost be the eau de parfum version of Joserra's lovely soap, Yo Sólo: Bernardo de Gálvez (namesake being a Spaniard who acted as an impactful ally of the colonial Americans from 1779-1783).

Nishane Wulong Cha with Razorock Dead Sea soap / splash
Gucci Guilty Absolute and Barrister and Mann Roam
Parfum d'Empire Bourbon Vetiver and Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Captain's Choice North

I am probably a bit of a Philistine when it comes to this, my favorite splash is the Veg and all my EDTs are Stirling dupes (with the exception of some Bulgarian rose parfums I got many years ago while traveling Europe). I prefer to spend the big bucks on vintage straights, not fragrances most of the time. And I've been leaning towards more lightly scented soaps lately, but I am pretty intentional about the soap/splash/EDT combo. I find that I like a complementary scent combo rather than layering more of the same.

My top combo is MdC Rose, Lilac Vegetal, and Stirling Agar (Tom Ford Oud Wood dupe). I also use this combo sometimes with unscented soap, and occasionally Proraso Red cream with a couple drops of myrrh essential oil. The myrrh overtakes the Red quite nicely. I like this combo year round.

My cold weather combo is Proraso Red (again, often with myrrh), the matching splash, and Stirling Oud Sigma (Polo Supreme Oud dupe). This is a heavy combo, but it works very well for me.

Warm weather, if not the first one I listed, is MdC Agrumes, Myrsol Limon splash, and Stirling Island Man. I can't remember what this is a dupe of but it's really nice. Rum, citrus, florals...just great.

Other more occasional combos are Lilac Vegetal and Stirling Alighieri, a Fahrenheit dupe although notably more floral forward than the original. And sometimes, an Old Spice tribute splash combined with Bulgarian Rose. This ends up being surprisingly heavy too, so I don't do it all that often. I like a lighter, more close to the skin combo usually.

I don't usually try to coordinate soap with my post-shave smellum because I don't find the fragrance of most soaps to persist long enough to matter.

That said, SV Opuntia and Nishane Hacivat are similar enough to pair very well for those so inclined.

Top Bottom