What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

I have been keeping this one in mind a lot since I read it a few weeks ago.

"As for life therefore, and death, honor and dishonor, labor and pleasure, riches and poverty, all these things happen unto men indeed, both good and bad, equally; but as things which of themselves are neither good nor bad, because of themselves are neither shameful nor praiseworthy."
-Marcus Aurelius

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One of my favorites;

hypocrisy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Pronunciation: /həˈpäkrəsē /
NOUN (plural hypocrisies)

The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform.

- Oxford English Dictionary

"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"-Ray Longo

"Cuando tenemos todas las respuestas, cambian las preguntas"-I forgot who said it but it has stuck with me for some time.

Another Russell quote:
"A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time toward a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create."

"The scariest thing is setting your goals too low and meeting them" - Georges St Pierre

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win" - Sun Tzu

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I know The Marines use that quote a lot. I wrestled when i was in high school and this was written on the wall of the room where we trained. Our coaches would always remind us of that when it came time for physical conditioning. During my senior year this became very true, you had to set the standards for the underclassmen to abide by through your own hard work.

"Sometimes you wake up in the middle of your day. Sometimes you wake up in the middle of your life."

Yarrow Kraner

I first read it in a Byte column by Jerry Pournelle, in the form "Better is the enemy of good enough."

Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.
-Voltaire

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
-Confucius

General form:
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.
-Stephen Hawking
I bet he has a killer deadpan. :lol:

A couple late additions:
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger". - Mark Twain.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." -Mark Twain
"You look like a nice bunch of young people. That is about to change." -My Paramedic Instructor on the first day of class.
"What matters ain't who's badder, but the ones who stop you falling from your ladder"- The Heavy, "Short Change Hero."

Last edited:
"Why should I learn to speak and lipread when you have two perfect good hands and two eyes with which you can learn sign language?" Angry Deaf student protesting oralism.

Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall there was this one: ''Matters of great concern should be treated lightly.''

Master lttei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."
--Hagakure

Top Bottom