What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (maybe)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -- RW Emerson

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

"You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do." - David Foster Wallace

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you." - also DFW

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A great many of those who 'debunk' traditional values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process.

- C.S. Lewis

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Be kind to people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
-R. Kramden

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me.
-Max Reger

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
"It all pays the same." My grandpa when you were complaining about the job at hand and being paid an hourly wage.

I use something similar- "I get paid by the hour". Seems to fit most everything, whether it is working on a hard problem on a simulator or doing some trivial, boring junk that could be performed by a trained monkey.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like it! Seems Hitch is pretty popular here :001_smile

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam"

- Carl Sagan

View attachment 490559

The number of Hitchens and Sagan quotes here gives me hope that there are still rational people in this world.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." -- Dorothy Parker, reviewing Atlas Shrugged
The best, and most accurate, book review ever.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The best, and most accurate, book review ever.

Some people place their own perspective into a quote, and assign it to a well known individual so as to lend it more weight. Unfortunately this appears to be sheer fabrication, much like the pithy quotes attributed to Mark Twain.

A more realistic source is Sid Ziff, and it was NOT about Atlas Shrugged. Even those sources which attribute this to Dorothy Parker fail to make the link to Atlas Shrugged, and suggest that it may have come from her re-using this statement in a bit of artistic plagiarism about a novel called "The Cardinals Mistress".

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/26/great-force/

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:
Some people place their own perspective into a quote, and assign it to a well known individual so as to lend it more weight. Unfortunately this appears to be sheer fabrication, much like the pithy quotes attributed to Mark Twain.

A more realistic source is Sid Ziff, and it was NOT about Atlas Shrugged. Even those sources which attribute this to Dorothy Parker fail to make the link to Atlas Shrugged, and suggest that it may have come from her re-using this statement in a bit of artistic plagiarism about a novel called "The Cardinals Mistress".

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/26/great-force/

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
- Abraham Lincoln
"I read it on the internet so it has to be true, they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true." - Al Gore

Top Bottom