What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

The only second chance you get is to make the same mistake twice.

Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due.

Everyone needs money. That's why they call it money.

- David Mamet

"That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens

I like that.

"A single life, with name, family, and legacy is worth no more and no less than a hundred lives without any of that. Lives are people, and people are not to be dismissed." - Unknown.

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain

a few in no particular order-

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The government is us; we are the government, you and I.
Theodore Roosevelt

Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing.
Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to
lift himself up by the handle." -- Winston Churchill

This one could be attributed to my lovely but unruly 2.5 year old: Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.

I'll see your Hitch and raise you another:

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”

I like it! Seems Hitch is pretty popular here :001_smile

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam"

- Carl Sagan

$earth_july_19_2013_saturn-580x326.jpg

Top Bottom