What's new

what are your favorite war/military movies?

Band of Brothers, far and away. Huge gap between that series and any other war movie for me. I love that series. Especially the interviews with the surviving members on the final disc. Awesome.

I always forget about Memphis Belle. I do love that one too.

Passchendale from a Canadian POV, although it is more a romance than a war movie. The battle scenes were quite well done. In another Canadian vein . . . The Devil's Brigade. The Force was recently honoured by the White house for their exploits.

Downfall is a cracking film although not an action film. For anyone not into subtitles this film's so good
you'll probably not even notice after a while.

Passchendale from a Canadian POV, although it is more a romance than a war movie. The battle scenes were quite well done. In another Canadian vein . . . The Devil's Brigade. The Force was recently honoured by the White house for their exploits.

I really appreciated Passchendaele, even if a lot of people panned it. A lot of people complained that there wasn't much action, but I thought that this actually did a good job of reflecting the stalemate deadlock that was the Western Front. I also thought the battle scenes were particularly well done, particularly some of the scenes that show the horrible conditions and savage nature of WWI fighting when they resort to bayoneting one another and even bashing each other with rocks.

Another Canadian film I really appreciated was Storming Juno, though it was a kind of docu-drama rather than a straight movie. It has some very moving interviews with veterans in it.

Passchendale from a Canadian POV, although it is more a romance than a war movie. The battle scenes were quite well done.

I really appreciated Passchendaele, even if a lot of people panned it. A lot of people complained that there wasn't much action, but I thought that this actually did a good job of reflecting the stalemate deadlock that was the Western Front. I also thought the battle scenes were particularly well done, particularly some of the scenes that show the horrible conditions and savage nature of WWI fighting when they resort to bayoneting one another and even bashing each other with rocks.

I liked Passchendale too. I think there aren't enough really good films about WWI. I'm hoping now that we're at the century mark from the war there will be a few. It's also nice to get a POV that isn't US, UK, or Germany.

Another good one that I don't think has been mentioned is Gallipoli showing the Dardanelles campaign in WWI from the Australian Perspective.

Oh, I just thought of two more that I really enjoyed.
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence was a great film about the POW experience in the pacific in WWII. Great work from Tom Conti, David Bowie, and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Breaker Morant was a really good film set in the Boer War.

Love many of the movies already mentioned.

If the definition of "War Movie" is expanded to include fictional conflicts, I'll add Red Dawn (1984) to the list. Something about a movie about teenage school kids taking up the fight when I was a teenage school kid resonated with me I guess. Still have not seen the 2012 version

I'm a fan of most of the big ones mentioned over and over in this thread (Band of Brothers; Saving Private Ryan; Platoon; etc.) but a couple of my favorites are a bit of a departure from the majority of the list so far.

Red Cliff (Parts I & II) is about a huge battle during the Han dynasty (208 AD) in China.

Grave of the Fireflies is an anime that takes place in Japan during WWII and shows a side of the story most of us never see. It's pretty depressing to be honest.

Another one that doesn't get a lot of love is Heaven & Earth, which is part 3 of Oliver Stone's Vietnam Trilogy--along with Platoon and Born on the 4th of July--which tells the story from the perspective of a Vietnamese girl who marries a US soldier and comes back the USA with him.

Last edited:
My two favorites have already been mentioned, but they're both so good I will re-state them here:

A Very Long Engagement

Enemy at the Gates

:euro:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If the definition of "War Movie" is expanded to include fictional conflicts, ...

Of course!

Hey, even the ones that are meant to be be retellings of actual events get "the Hollywood treatment". Yeah, it's great to see historical accuracy and all that, but for some of these movies the only "historical accuracy" we really have is "there was a World War II ... Germany was the Bad Guys".

And so ...

The Alamo.

Band of Brothers, far and away. Huge gap between that series and any other war movie for me. I love that series. Especially the interviews with the surviving members on the final disc. Awesome.

I always forget about Memphis Belle. I do love that one too.

Band of Brothers for me too. Love it. Watched it many times.

Second favorite: Platoon. I was #50 for the draft the year they stopped the draft for Viet Nam.

Hmm... I've never thought about this before... As a kid probably Saving Private Ryan or Braveheart. More recently Inglorious Basterds.

I love all the old classic American films. Seemed more message and American pride existed in these times. Love WW2 submarine flicks.

I like all of the above. One I haven't seen mentioned yet, although not quite in the same vein, Outlaw Josie Wales.

I watch that movie regularly. I have a DVD that I take when I go camping!

Mike

Top Bottom