What's new

what are your favorite war/military movies?

Gettysburg (1993)

Because I was in it and so were a bunch of my friends. One of them even had a speaking role and was in both armies at different points of the movie. It was a trip filming it. The one major flaw that bummed us out was Ted Turner...

I had to miss that one, but several of my unit worked on it. What unit are you with?

I did get to work on Glory! That was a great experience.

Lawrence of Arabia. Probably one of my all time favourites regardless of genre. Zulu Dawn, Glory, Apocalypse Now and Das Boot are also very high on my list. I have a soft spot for Wings which won the first academy award for best picture even though it is very melodramatic by modern standards.

One odd movie I liked was a film called El Alamein. I think it's the only WWII movie I've ever seen from the Italian perspective.

Others that I enjoy and recommend are
The Blue Max
Dawn Patrol
The Beast aka The Beast of War
All Quiet On The Western Front
Enemy At the Gates
The General
Shoulder Arms
The Great Dictator
Gettysburg

Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Wild Geese
The Longest Day
Battle of Britain
Zulu

Stretch definition..... The Man Who Would Be King

Cross of Iron
Memphis Belle
We Were Soldiers
The Lost Battalion
The Sand Pebbles
55 Days at Peking

Many, many more

Saw this in German with subtitles . . . LOVED IT.

Cphobes . . . I agree that the performances in Basterds were great. Thing is, it's a Tarentino flick so, like most of his films, the setting is simply part of the "jumping off point" for his brand of film making. Almost incidental to the whole thing, if you will.

Loved Das Boot, the book was great too. I don't know enough about Tarentino other than he makes good films. :)

-Stephenh

Not a huge fan of QT. Loved Reservoir Dogs, but it's almost as if he peaked with his debut movie . . . that probably taints my opinion of the other films from him that I have bothered to watch.

Full Metal jacket and Apocalypse Now because they capture the madness of Man.
The Deer Hunter because it captures the tragedy of war.

Band of Brothers because it is Epic and Humbling.

I had made a good friend during my basic training in the Army. The training team didn't like him though so they were hard on him. One Corporal in particular was particularly nasty. My mate was hard as nails though. He took everything they gave him and they couldn't break him, at that time. After basic he went AWOL and murdered a young woman. He got life. Every time I watch Full Metal Jacket Vincent D'Onofrio AKA Private Pile's treatment and demise at the hands of his Sergeant, remind me of my old friend. I haven't seen him in 34 years.

Last edited:
I vote for Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse Five.

I'm sure that someone will say that Slaughterhouse Five isn't a war film. But then again, exactly what is it?

I'm sure that someone will say that Slaughterhouse Five isn't a war film. But then again, exactly what is it?

It is a book which, after completing it, I threw against the wall asking that exact question . . . well, there were a few more expletives involved, but I was a teenager at the time. Kurt Vonnegut makes my stomach churn

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
TV, but loved.

Rat Patrol

$cast.jpg$199285.jpg

Loved Rat Patrol until I realized that a Browning .50 cal was NEVER going to blow up a tank. Then it became the same as Hogan's Heroes in my eyes . . . fun, but nothing more. Although Eric Braeden deserves a special tip o the cap for his portrayal of the German Officer.

Top Bottom